Early Crotes and High desert in the Pacific Northwest

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Indafield

Early Crotes and High desert in the Pacific Northwest

Post by Indafield »

Went out Easter weekend to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather. Headed to a known den on Saturday but nobody was awake yet, plenty of wandering garters and one lone baby racer was spotted my my girlfriend. Was super happy to get out and hike in the 70 degree weather but was kind of dissuaded by the lack of reptiles and was almost going to just head home that evening... She on the other hand was having a great time out in the high desert and convinced me to me to stay out. Boy was I glad. Not only was it even nicer but we found another densite! It was funny because when we started out I pointed to a ridge about 2 miles off trail and said "perfect south facing ridge with all sorts of good rock, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a den over there" . Sure enough about halfway across the ridge line we stopped to enjoy the view and I exclaimed Rattlesnake! I snapped off a couple voucher photo's then downclimbed to try and get a decent front view from the cliff band. When I got down and began hiking back to below wear the first snake was two others lit me up from a deep crack in the cliff about face high. 3 rattlesnakes on march 31st in the pacific northwest. I was happy to say the least!

These two Scelops were in a heated battle over the better rock and fought all over the trail with zero interest in the three observers.

So stoked SHE found the first snake of the trip...I almost stepped on it

Standard fair but I like the photo

I always love moon in the daytime photos. The burned trees and great hillside made it that much better

Great View...

On a side note it seams I've been getting closer and closer to seeing a big kitty, saw some of the freshest tracks in a long time. Perfectly crisp and zero deterioration. While we didn't see him/her I'm sure he/she saw us...! I actually stayed away from an area littered with tracks that looked to "cougary" just to be safe :)

Thanks for looking,
Nate
Brendan

Re: Early Crotes and High desert in the Pacific Northwest

Post by Brendan »

Great job on the new den and some early norpacs!
Indafield

Post by Indafield »

Thanks man, I love searching out areas. Always cool to find places I know I can go early and late to see some snakes.
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

I dig the lizards sizing each other up!!!
Ivan Ahumada

Post by Ivan Ahumada »

Me caso!!!!!
Indafield

Post by Indafield »

ella es un portero!
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Awesome, dude.

I've been busy as balls these past couple weeks. I'm gonna give you a call here in an hour or two.
Dman

Post by Dman »

Nate,
Great job on finding another den site. Very nice insitu picture. Wish I would have hung around another day.

Damon