California Kingsnakes west of HWY 35--Pictures Added

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mr.Talltree

California Kingsnakes west of HWY 35--Pictures Added

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Is this a big deal? I flipped two of them yesterday while I was looking for zonata and I'm hearing that this is "rare" or unheard of.

Anybody please chime in. Im very interested on what the collective thought on this is. I will be putting up a large post of all the snakes I've found in the last month, including the two kings in question, shortly.

Luke-

Here they are. Found under rocks about 15 feet from each other at approximately 12:45pm on Wednesday. Weather conditions were partly cloudy and about 67 degrees.

This 3ft female was found first.
IMG_2131 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_2136 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_2157 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

About 20 minutes later and 15ft away, I flipped this juvenile that was preparing to shed.
IMG_2176 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_2168 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_2177 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr
Zach_Lim

Re: California Kingsnakes west of HWY 35

Post by Zach_Lim »

You should note that this was in San Mateo County, too.

Amazing.
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

Luke you are seriously crushing it this spring, can't wait to see photos!!
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Cool Find Luke 8-)

To the best of my knowledge, you're the first person to document, with photos, getula from that region.
jared68nova

Re: California Kingsnakes west of HWY 35--Pictures Added

Post by jared68nova »

From what I understand and have read in a few books now, getula from west of Skyline have yet to be proven, only unconfirmed sight records. The part that to me that is really amazing is that I had always heard that Zonata and Getula do not co-habitate, or rarely do. Your find kind of disproves that point, as both were found on the same hillsides under the same conditions and surface cover. Sometimes the books can be off I suppose lol. Awesome finds! :beer:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

No one ever said they did not exist west of Skyline, only that they do not seem to exist along the coast and lower slopes of the hills above the coast. I have an entry in the database of 4 juvy sheds from west of Skyline found by one of our forum members (Record 127854). The question really is...how far down the western slope do they go. A friend who owns a ranch in La Honda has never seen one on his property. I have never seen one anywhere near the coast, or even west of Skyline, but I seldom search near Skyline because I'm usually looking for garters. My book only says they appear to be "absent from coastal San Mateo County." Skyline is not coastal San Mateo County. It is the crest of the hills. Mr. Talltrees should know this because he owns the book... ;)

Jared: What books are you referring to? I think I was the first one to mention that they seem to be absent from the coast in San Mat Co. and z's and get. do co-habitate in some places, especially where their respective habitats overlap. I have seen both in the same habitat in the Sierra's and mtns of Los Angeles county. They are also found in the same habitat in Santa Cruz, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Sonoma, Napa, Lake, Orange, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo (we think) and other counties, but not in all areas.
jared68nova

Post by jared68nova »

I have read that in a few books actually. I have a field guide around here somewhere from the 60's and it mentions something to the effect of Mtn Kings pick up in density as the getula habitat becomes less ideal for them. In example, at the base of a mountain and lower foothills getula will be found and common, as the habitat changes to boulders and pines vs flat rocks and oaks, Mtn Kings take over. I had always thought the general rule was if there are getula, the odds of seeing Z's were slim, perfect example...the diablo range. I know they're here, but the odds of seeing one are slim, and I know the getula are prolific here, as they are my most common find. After reading back through your books I see that you do mention, the lack getula on the coast, so you are referring to like Hwy 1? I thought Talltrees Getula were the first actual confirmed findings of them in that area??? Not counting sheds.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

They definitely cohabitate in northern california and southern oregon, although not on every hillside, but there are a few hills that you can find a getula and a zonata within a short distance from eachother on the same hillside, and where I know of getula being found higher up the hill from zonata and vice versa, but obviously those locations don't change the conversation about the area you guys are discussing where these snakes were found. Nice finds Luke.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Earlier last year, on a grassy hillside bordered by oak and pine on the border of San Mateo and Santa Clara County, I found a yearling zonata under a rock. A few weeks later, I found a fresh adult shed of a getula there.

Just an example of how they do live within the same habitat in certain areas.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Talltrees might have found the first live getula west of Skyline (but a long ways from Hwy 1), but I thought Zach (or someone else) found one last year west of Skyline. Maybe not...