Suggestions for camping and herping near Yakima

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

David Hardesty

Suggestions for camping and herping near Yakima

Post by David Hardesty »

I am taking the wife and kids camping 8/23-8/25 and was thinking of going over towards Yakima somewhere. We plan on doing some herping while we are up there but I am not sure where to set up camp. I have herped a lot of the White Salmon/Lyle area but never further North. Any suggestions is much appreciated.
M Wolverton

Re: Suggestions for camping and herping near Yakima

Post by M Wolverton »

You can probably camp just about anywhere in the Oak Creek Wildlife Recreation Area. It has good herping too.
David Hardesty

Post by David Hardesty »

I will have to look into that thanks. I have gotten a few PM's with suggestions also. Thanks for the help so far and I will be posting pics of my finds when I get back.
David Hardesty

Post by David Hardesty »

Well I am back and I was able to do a little herping but at the last minute my mom decided to come with us so hiking in rattlesnake country was not something she was a big fan of lol. I did get to hike around a little bit before it got to hot and managed to see a juvenile pituophis on the trail but it took off before I could get a photo of it. Also saw an adult Racer in the grass and again it escaped into a rock outcropping. The only thing I did manage to get a pic of was a nice juvenile Crotalus. Road cruising only produced a couple D.O.R. Crotalus because of the full moon. Thanks again for the suggestions and I plan on coming back to the area and doing a lot more herping.