A few finds from SW Utah

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

KecheMukwa

A few finds from SW Utah

Post by KecheMukwa »

I just finished the first field season of my PhD research on the ecology of coyote tobacco (Nicotiana attenuata) in the mojave desert of SW Utah. The research is usually pretty intense and as a result I don't have as much free time as I'd like to get out of our field station to herp. Luckily the herps are plentiful around our station and one doesn't have to look hard at all to find desert spinys, side-blotched lizards, whiptails, and southwestern toads. Occasionally I'm lucky enough to cross paths with more exciting critters while walking back and forth between our plants and station. I wanted to share the most exciting finds of my 2013 field season with the FHF community. For the record, few of these pictures were taken by me as I don't own a camera. I was given permission to share these and the photographers are credited. If I had my own camera (I'll be purchasing one soon), I'd probably have plenty of pictures of the regulars to share as well.

Desert night lizard (photos by Meredith Schuman)
Shortly after picking the little guy up he decided that my armpit was the safest place to be

California Kingsnake (photo by Meredith Schuman)

Coachwhip (photos by Youngsung Joo)
I love the spotted pattern on this girl's underbelly
in situ shot

This turkey was in great need of being fertilized (the poor girl lost the entirety of her last clutch to coyotes) and tried to mate with just about every guy on our team. I happened to have Meredith's camera on me when it was my turn to be courted, so I took advantage of the opportunity.

- Jay Goldberg

Jimi

Re: A few finds from SW Utah

Post by Jimi »

Great finds! Congrats on having a cool project, completing your first field season, and for getting out of the oven before it gets really really hot. Spring is nice out there but summer, phew. Not so much!

So uh, do you plan to enter these finds (Xantusia, coach, king) into the HERP database? I'd like the records for my agency, and will be doing another HERP data request before too long. But if you don't plan to put them in HERP I could just ask you for coordinates & photo permission in a PM. Thanks. I know how busy a grad student can be.

Cheers,
Jimi

KecheMukwa

Post by KecheMukwa »

Thanks Jimi! I definitely got a taste of summer in the oven. It was hotter than hell for a while.

All these sightings, as well as an unphotographed sighting of a desert tortoise, are in the database.

- Jay

reako45

Post by reako45 »

Very cool post. Beautiful Coachwhip, and I love the b&w King. Looks like your break from your research was fun and productive.

reako45