RFI: Herps, Mammals and Birds in Costa Rica please...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Andy Avram

RFI: Herps, Mammals and Birds in Costa Rica please...

Post by Andy Avram » June 21st, 2013, 9:14 am

Please, if you are a friend of mine of Facebook, I would like to keep this a surprise, so please don’t post suggestions to me on there. Thanks!

I recently tied the knot and this summer is just too crazy to take any sort of official honeymoon. I have been kicking around the idea of taking a honeymoon this December/January (right after Christmas to a few days after New Years) to Costa Rica. Of course I want to see wildlife and she would like to visit the country so I am asking for a little advice. First, off I have been there once before and it was awesome, and while I would rather check out a new country, I want my new wife’s first tropical experience to be at a safe, touristy country – Costa Rica fits the bill.

The parameters and goals.

I have been to the NW corner and the Arenal area. I would like to go back to the Arenal area, but then I would prefer to head south along the Pacific Coast. As awesome as I think visiting Corcovado would be, it doesn’t look like you can easily drive into the park and do some hikes (she will not sleep in a bunk situation and will have to have a pretty nice hotel room). Please tell me if I am mistaken, as there as some key wildlife I would like to see there. I am also considering Manuel Antonio NP and Carara NP due to some more key wildlife species.

The wildlife I would like to target on the trip (mammals, birds and herps all get equal billing). I am having trouble finding out of the above listed parks have these species, or if anyone has recommendations on areas to find them, more or less within my route.

KEY SPECIES
Herps:
Spectacled Caiman – one of the overall top species to find
Boa Constrictor
Fer-de-lance – missed this species on my first trip

Mammals:
Tamandua and/or Silky Anteater
Squirrel Monkey
Agouti
Paca
Baird’s Tapir (I fear this is most reliable in Corcovado)
White-lipped Peccary (see Tapir)
Red Brocket Deer
also, any cat species, but I know how difficult they can be.

Birds:
Black Guan
Boat-billed Heron
King Vulture (top species to see)
Scarlet Macaw (top species to see – Carara NP)
Respendent Quetzal

There are other target species, but these are some of the top ones that I may have a little trouble finding without some help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

Curtis Hart

Re: RFI: Herps, Mammals and Birds in Costa Rica please...

Post by Curtis Hart » June 21st, 2013, 10:57 am

Not being able to hike into Corcovado is going to make this much more difficult. Will she camp in a tent?

Spectacled Caiman - Easy in Totugero or Sirenia station Corcovado. I'm sure you'll find it somewhere.
Fer-de-lance - night walk in the jungle and be careful not to step on one.

Tamandua - I normally see them hiking in Cocovado, also Pipeline Road Panama.
Silky Anteater - there is a kayak trip near Manuel Antonio with a very high rate of success.
Agouti - I saw them early morning Manuel Antonio and Corcovado
Paca - I've only seen them at the Pipeline Road in Panama, under a fruiting tree at night
Baird's Tapir - I have seen them in Corcavado within walking distance of the resorts at Carate. They don't have radio collars in that area.
White-lipped Peccary - I've only seen them very close to Sirenia station Corcovado.
Red Brocket Deer - I've only seen them crossing the landing strip at Sirenia at dusk.
Squirrel Monkey - Manuel Antonio or Corcovado neat Sirenia
Boat-billed Heron - Pretty common typically. Try getting a night spotlighting trip on a river somewhere.
Scarlet Macaw - I've mainly seen them on the walk from Carate to Sirenia station
King Vulture - The only CR bird I saw was on the walk from Carate to Sirenia. I've done that walk at least 6 times, so odds aren't that great.
Resplendant Quetzal - I saw them neat David in Panama, but I hear they are easy at Monteverde, if you learn the call.

I realize all the Corcovado answers aren't that useful, but that's where I've seen things. Check out Mammalwatching.com as well.

List your other targets, maybe I have better answers for them.

jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 » June 21st, 2013, 11:27 am

she will not sleep in a bunk situation and will have to have a pretty nice hotel room

Oh man, you must love her so much.

I understand Corcorvado stopped night hikes a few years back, not sure if that is still the case. I was fortunate enough to see a Baird's tapir w/ calf that came right into the Sirena clearing.

Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga » June 23rd, 2013, 12:13 pm

Andy...
I'm shooting you a PM as there's just too much info to post here so I'll just do it on a message if that's cool. I've been to that area 3 times now and just booked a trip to go back next April with 10 family members. Going to basically lead a family group down there, should be fun times.

BlackPearl

Post by BlackPearl » June 24th, 2013, 12:15 am

The Lookout Inn and Luna Lodge are decent places that are relatively near Corcovado. We've stayed at the Lookout Inn and were able to hike along the beach to Corcovado where we were able to see a Puma...