Question for my Houston area peeps.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

sep11ie

Question for my Houston area peeps.

Post by sep11ie »

Has anyone done any herping in the Brazoria County area? On my way to Freeport I saw several terrific looking habitat spots along 288 and just wondering if anyone has ever tried any out around there.

Thanks
Soopaman

Re: Question for my Houston area peeps.

Post by Soopaman »

It's too hot to flip, but in October you can try going out there and flipping old farm stuff and you should find some snakes. I know there's a few bits of debris and fallen billboards right off 288, but I've never checked them. You can look on the map and see the stuff pretty readily, though identifying the good materials from the satellite map can be an acquired skill.
sep11ie

Post by sep11ie »

Yea, I was planning on waiting till Sept/Oct, just thought about maybe putting some plywood out now. Wasn't really sure what all would be out there. I know down the road a ways I've found nothing but ribbons, a few rats, water snakes, copperheads, moccasins, and a mud snake. Never really checked the more fielded/wooded areas.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

sep11ie wrote:Yea, I was planning on waiting till Sept/Oct, just thought about maybe putting some plywood out now. Wasn't really sure what all would be out there. I know down the road a ways I've found nothing but ribbons, a few rats, water snakes, copperheads, moccasins, and a mud snake. Never really checked the more fielded/wooded areas.
I'll send you a PM with a spot I think might would be good if you're looking to set out stuff. I have my doubts about it being productive this Fall, but it'll likely be good next spring. Stuff I set out last summer produced for me this spring, so I think you'll have some results in April.
sep11ie

Post by sep11ie »

Soopaman wrote:
sep11ie wrote:Yea, I was planning on waiting till Sept/Oct, just thought about maybe putting some plywood out now. Wasn't really sure what all would be out there. I know down the road a ways I've found nothing but ribbons, a few rats, water snakes, copperheads, moccasins, and a mud snake. Never really checked the more fielded/wooded areas.
I'll send you a PM with a spot I think might would be good if you're looking to set out stuff. I have my doubts about it being productive this Fall, but it'll likely be good next spring. Stuff I set out last summer produced for me this spring, so I think you'll have some results in April.
Cool. I'll lay it out there and leave it be till Spring. Maybe we can meet up out there and flip it.
chrish

Post by chrish »

http://www.naherp.com/search.php?r_owne ... ounty=3070

What is amazing is how rare amphibians appear to be in Brazoria County! :lol:
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

chrish wrote:http://www.naherp.com/search.php?r_owne ... ounty=3070

Some of us have herp interests which are more accurately described as reptile interests, and more often than not they're specifically snake interests.
sep11ie

Post by sep11ie »

Yea, I caught all the amphibians I've wanted to back when I lived in PA.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Soopaman wrote:
chrish wrote:http://www.naherp.com/search.php?r_owne ... ounty=3070

Some of us have herp interests which are more accurately described as reptile interests, and more often than not they're specifically snake interests.
I know. I was snakes only for a long time. Everything else was just by-catch.