Places to Herp

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ReptileLover89

Places to Herp

Post by ReptileLover89 »

Hello
I am new to this forum and am wondering if you guys know any places in or really close to will county IL that I can go herping. Unfurtanately I can't drive on my own so my father takes me but we can't go far. Any place that we can find some snakes would be great. Any kind too. What's the best way to go? Should we just drive up empty roads in the evening or in the morning? Or do you guys know anywhere within about 30 minutes of peotone or will county that have good herps? Any will do but I would love to catch some fox snakes and racer and bill snakes but any js fine. Any suggestions? Thanks
Biker Dave

Re: Places to Herp

Post by Biker Dave »

Reptilelover89 -

I have no idea where Will County is located ( I am in Arizona).

I will offer you some advice ....

No one is going to just give you the answers to your questions. The reason is we as a group are leary of people who may potentially be poachers.

A suggestion .... Check a local field guide of reptiles and amphibians, ask a college biology prof., look online for habitat guide, range maps,etc of the species of which you are searching. Then check Google Earth and perhaps local road maps, county extension maps, state game and fish maps, etc. for similar habitat in the known range and elevation of the species for which you are searching. Use this information to help get you to the area you are most interested in searching.

If you are still having a problem finding your target species, make a request via "pm" of a chapter officer in the area of concern stating the info you found and that you are having trouble locating the species in question. You will likely get more assistance this way.

Of course its just a suggestion ...

Dave Weber
AZ Chapter Pres
justinm

Post by justinm »

I would suggest that you get the Field Guide for Reptiles and Amphibians of the Chicago area, if not the Illinois Field Guide.
ReptileLover89

Post by ReptileLover89 »

I have the field guide to north American reps and amphibians but is that too broad? I know the habitats of the reptiles and how to identify them. My problem simple is that my dad won't take me far sadly do I have been trying to find places close but nothing has been good. Have any of you had luck in forest preserves? I have one near me and my dad has dropped me off but the only thing I have caught are toads and frogs. I love them by really love snakes. Anyway I'll just keep trying stuff. The only reason I posted this question was to see if anyone near my area in illinois knew of places. Thanks for you help tho!
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

Well you're a lucky lad to have a dad that cares enough to spend some time facilitating your interests, (tho i happen to believe you make that commitment before you make love!) ... anyway, i looked on google earth & id focus on that kankanee state park just south sw of your town & ck that area out, (including their website), mebbe your pa would let you & a buddy or 3 camp there for a weekend? Anyway if you plan to catch critters as pets, ck in w/ the rangers, if you just plan2 take pix, it probably doesnt matter depending on your age, but be aware they may have a "stay on trail" rule!
Have fun w/ it, i hope some of the Il. folks pm you some additional tips, remember the best tip for herping anywhere is maximize your time "in habitat" not driving endlessly on the hwys and freeways.
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

When I was a kid (back in the 70s ) I joined the NY Herp Society. It was a great opportunity to learn about herpetology and to connect with others with a similar interest. They had monthly meetings and occasional field trips. We also had a newsletter with really great information. It was a great way to pick up local info and to find out about research that was happening at that time.

I know that there is a Chicago Herp Society, although I am not too familiar with their activities. To echo what Dave already mentioned, people are less likely to divulge location information on an Internet forum than they might be a herp society meeting after they get to know you a bit.

Get out there in appropriate habitat and look around as often as you can. As a kid, I was lucky enough to live near vacant lots with boards and tins that we could ride our bikes to and we would check these nearly every day after school and in the summer time. Often we would strike out, but sometimes....we'd hit gold!
ReptileLover89

Post by ReptileLover89 »

regalringneck wrote:Well you're a lucky lad to have a dad that cares enough to spend some time facilitating your interests, (tho i happen to believe you make that commitment before you make love!) ... anyway, i looked on google earth & id focus on that kankanee state park just south sw of your town & ck that area out, (including their website), mebbe your pa would let you & a buddy or 3 camp there for a weekend? Anyway if you plan to catch critters as pets, ck in w/ the rangers, if you just plan2 take pix, it probably doesnt matter depending on your age, but be aware they may have a "stay on trail" rule!
Have fun w/ it, i hope some of the Il. folks pm you some additional tips, remember the best tip for herping anywhere is maximize your time "in habitat" not driving endlessly on the hwys and freeways.
Thank you much! And I have no interest in keeping them as pets I don't find that right. But I just want to catch and release them. When I go to college i am majoring in herpetology and just want some experience. I love rep and amphibian more than a lot of things! Just like most people on the forum. I will look into Kankakee. The Chicago thing is hard because I live about 90 mins from the city but I'll look into it! I also understand the online info hover and everything. Thanks tho!
Travis_W_Taggart

Post by Travis_W_Taggart »

HerpNet
http://www.herpnet2.org/

Will provide enough information to get you started.

- Travis
dery

Post by dery »

ReptileLover89 wrote:Hello
I am new to this forum and am wondering if you guys know any places in or really close to will county IL that I can go herping. Unfurtanately I can't drive on my own so my father takes me but we can't go far. Any place that we can find some snakes would be great. Any kind too. What's the best way to go? Should we just drive up empty roads in the evening or in the morning? Or do you guys know anywhere within about 30 minutes of peotone or will county that have good herps? Any will do but I would love to catch some fox snakes and racer and bill snakes but any js fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

The easiest thing is to scout your local area. Giving away locales is against herpers' criteria.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Who's Travis Taggart? Is he some kind of herper?
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

ReptileLover- I'm in pretty much the same boat as you when it comes to herping locally. My parents, while supportive of my hobby, dont always have time to drive me all over the place to find a bunch of creepy crawlies. Being 15 myself, obviously I can't drive, so most of the time I ride bike to herping spots. The best advice I have is to get good at riding bike, or get in good with a friend who has a drivers license. On the subject of finding herps once you are in the field, I have found that looking for open, rocky areas on google earth seems to work well.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

or get in good with a friend who has a drivers license
But make sure this friend can be trusted with not blabbing any cool spots that you may find....
ReptileLover89

Post by ReptileLover89 »

The Jake-Man wrote:ReptileLover- I'm in pretty much the same boat as you when it comes to herping locally. My parents, while supportive of my hobby, dont always have time to drive me all over the place to find a bunch of creepy crawlies. Being 15 myself, obviously I can't drive, so most of the time I ride bike to herping spots. The best advice I have is to get good at riding bike, or get in good with a friend who has a drivers license. On the subject of finding herps once you are in the field, I have found that looking for open, rocky areas on google earth seems to work well.
Yes yes yes we are the same age in the same situation. The bike idea is go
od but I live a good ways from any good spot... Not sure about how my parents feel about a 2 hour bike ride to a place to look then 2 hours back haha but thanks! And I would love to find a driver that likes herps but it seems less and less people like reptiles and amphibians these day!
justinm

Post by justinm »

You shouldn't have to drive 2 hours to herp. You're making this harder than it is. I hear treefrogs and toads in my neighborhood each night and have for a while now. I'm guessing you could find areas in your neighborhood that have creeks or some permanent water, you're in Illinois after all. Snakes are usually the first animals to reintroduce to urban areas. Forest preserves are of course the best place to herp but not completely necessary.

I've found milksnakes on the sides of highways!
ReptileLover89

Post by ReptileLover89 »

justinm wrote:You shouldn't have to drive 2 hours to herp. You're making this harder than it is. I hear treefrogs and toads in my neighborhood each night and have for a while now. I'm guessing you could find areas in your neighborhood that have creeks or some permanent water, you're in Illinois after all. Snakes are usually the first animals to reintroduce to urban areas. Forest preserves are of course the best place to herp but not completely necessary.

I've found milksnakes on the sides of highways!
I understand this...but I have gone to my local forest preserve multiple times and have had no luck what so ever...mine has a stay on path rule but I venture a bit and still nothing! It seems to be a good place but the best catch I have had there is a baby toad. And trust me, I know how to herp...I live jn the country and everything is do clean. Not one thing lying around for shelter. The cornfields by me have so many thing sprayed into them that snakes won't go near them
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Use a bicycle to get where you want to go! That's how my friends and I herped in our pre-driving days. You can get 10 miles away from home easily. Of course, tell your parents all about it first!
Erik Williams

Post by Erik Williams »

Find some dirty (RR ties) train tracks going through forest preserves or other habitat. Here in Northern IL, that's your best bet at seeing a variety of stuff. It's a way of seeing a local sample, so to speak.
T radix

Post by T radix »

It's already been mentioned - railroad right of ways, even in urban areas, are often great places to find snakes. Most already have trash or old railroad ties strewn about.
ReptileLover89

Post by ReptileLover89 »

Have any of you had luck in cornfields? I always thought that snake wouldn't go in there because of the chemicals. Is this true?
justinm

Post by justinm »

First snake I saw this year was a Black Rat getting hauled out of a freshly plowed field, by a Red Tailed Hawk. I'm guessing that if there are rodents around the snakes are sure to follow them into a field.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Kent VanSooy wrote:Use a bicycle to get where you want to go! That's how my friends and I herped in our pre-driving days. You can get 10 miles away from home easily. Of course, tell your parents all about it first!

:thumb:

Reptile, my Dad took me all over the place chasing snakes and fish and Luna moths and morels and...and then when I turned 16, got a driver's license and wheels he never joined me again. It turns out he never liked the stuff and only did it because his son did. Thank your Dad some day, ok?

I bet you have interesting stuff right "under your nose" up there. Look closer and think smaller.

Tim
ReptileLover89

Post by ReptileLover89 »

Reptile, my Dad took me all over the place chasing snakes and fish and Luna moths and morels and...and then when I turned 16, got a driver's license and wheels he never joined me again. It turns out he never liked the stuff and only did it because his son did. Thank your Dad some day, ok?

I bet you have interesting stuff right "under your nose" up there. Look closer and think smaller.

Tim[/quote]
Believe me. I thank my dad so much. He has no interest in it at all but knows how much I love it. I'll keep trying around but believe me when I say tht for the past 3 years I have literally looked everywhere near my yard at almost every time of day and have found nothing. I can't wait to get my license and to go to college and study reps and major in herpetology