Southern California in the Fall

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Southern California in the Fall

Post by Zach_Lim » July 8th, 2013, 11:44 am

Hey guys,

I am attempting to organize some vacation time from work to herp Southern California, as my last trip down south was band/music orientated with zero opportunities to hit the field.

As of right now, I am leaning towards end of August, Sept or Oct.

I do not really have an area in mind for Southern California and am open for suggestions. Any species would be a lifer.

Are there any particularly good times to head down so that I can both herp in the daytime and cruise at night?

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks,

Zach

hellihooks

Re: Southern California in the Fall

Post by hellihooks » July 8th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Can't for the life of me find the post... but Jeff (SurfnHerp) and I camped out at Sawtooth, last Sept, and actually did ok both cruisen at night and walking lizards in the daytime. Jeff had a list of 4 lifers... and went home with all 4...Scute, Desert Rosy, GB Collard... and uhhhhhhhhhh don't remember the last one... :roll:
Maybe Jeff will post a link to the thread. Super nice place to camp...FREE...fire pits, BBq's Shaded tables, clean outhouses... miles of scenic trails, rock climbing, Herp rich area...and I can bring all the firewood.... :thumb: jim

devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 » July 8th, 2013, 3:14 pm

hellihooks wrote:Can't for the life of me find the post... but Jeff (SurfnHerp) and I camped out at Sawtooth, last Sept, and actually did ok both cruisen at night and walking lizards in the daytime. Jeff had a list of 4 lifers... and went home with all 4...Scute, Desert Rosy, GB Collard... and uhhhhhhhhhh don't remember the last one... :roll:
Maybe Jeff will post a link to the thread. Super nice place to camp...FREE...fire pits, BBq's Shaded tables, clean outhouses... miles of scenic trails, rock climbing, Herp rich area...and I can bring all the firewood.... :thumb: jim
Jim,

Is that Sawtooth Canyon just North of Lucerne?

-Erik

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks » July 8th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Yup. and BTW... I didn't mean Jeff literally took the lifers home... he went home with those lifers marked off his list... :crazyeyes: jim

SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp » July 15th, 2013, 10:51 pm

Hey Zach,

Sawtooth is a cool spot and I wouldn't mind going up there again this Fall.

I'm planning to make at least a few trips out to the San Diego County desert too, of course. It will probably start getting good around the first week of September and should continue to produce through the third week of October. Best weekend dates could be 9/6-9/8, and 10/4-10/6. Plenty of free camping there as well.

I know you're a Lampro fanatic, so I'd be glad to help you find San Diego stripers by the coast and black & whites in the desert. Zonata will be extremely unlikely though.

My guest room should be available most anytime in September if you need a place to stay near the coast. But in October my mother-in-law usually visits for a few weeks (that's when I'm free to do extra herping!).

If you want to meet up, just let me know after you decide on some dates.

Jim - my 3 targets last October when we herped together were GB collareds, Mojave rattlers, and desert rosy boas - that's it - there was no number 4 - so you didn't forget anything. I was hoping for a ground snake too, but that was a longshot that I had no expectations to actually find.

Cheers,

Jeff

Fundad

Post by Fundad » July 16th, 2013, 5:10 am

I would choose October of the 3 months... You can night drive if it doesn't rain and flip if it does..

I would go to AZ if you have to herp in Aug. Aug IMO is the worst month over all of the 12 months of the year down here..

Sept can be good for night driving neos, that said I think the lack of rainfall this year has suppressed the breeding of many species this year.. So it might be just neo gopher snakes and Helleri :lol:

My Two Cents
Fundad

RobertH

Post by RobertH » July 16th, 2013, 11:44 pm

I would also say October is better than September, not to mention August. Don't come down in August. By mid-October we may just have had the first rain, which can make a huge difference down here.

You are more than welcome to herp and stay with us here in LA, if you like. But if I were you, I'd take up Jeff on his offer to take you herping in coastal SD and the low desert. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Let us know how your plans develop. It'd be great to see you if it works out.

Robert

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim » July 25th, 2013, 10:38 am

I am planning to be in Cardiff Thursday night (Aug 8) till Sunday (Aug 11) morning.

I believe that I will have Friday open to herp.

I sent some of you guys a PM.