Creepy, or cool? You decide!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Creepy or cool?

Creepy!
No votes
Cool!
64%
An evolutionary feat bordering on miraculous!
30%
Dayumm. Imma have nightmares after this!
2%
Hmm. Undecided.
5%

Total votes: 44

zeevng

Creepy, or cool? You decide!

Post by zeevng »

So, I just came across something that both intrigued and slightly repulsed me.

A Facebook friend of mine posted a video to a species of snake, discovered in 2006, in western Iraq. This snake, the Pseudocerastes urarachnoides, is a viper found exclusively in western Iraq. Pseudocerastes is a genus I am familiar with from herping in Israel, where another species of Pseudocerastes dwells. Anyway, I digress.
The Pseudocerastes urarachnoides is called the Spider Tailed Horned Viper, and, true to its name, it's tail resembles a spider. There is literally no other way to describe it.

If any of you are familiar with this snake previously, forgive me for posting about it, but the few friends I asked had never heard of it.
I am, as is pretty much every member here, a huge snake lover. I also am quite fond of the occasional spider! But combine the two? Hmm.

I can't decide if its just a really, really cool adaptation, or an incredibly creepy sight.

You guys be the judge. In the comments, let's have a debate on the merits, aesthetic and evolutionary both, of this weird snake.
Have at it!

Spider Tailed Horned Viper (Pseudocerastes urarachnoides) by eryx jhoni, on Flickr

Spider Tailed Horned Viper (Pseudocerastes urarachnoides) by eryx jhoni, on Flickr

pops

Re: Creepy, or cool? You decide!

Post by pops »

Mad cool!
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

A very cool evolutionary adaptation. Nothing miraculous about it.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Years ago Dr. Brian Fry posted pictures of this on his site with the paper that described it. I have waited for a long time to see any other pictures of this snake. Thanks for sharing them.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Amazing adaptation and not widely known. Does it literally resemble spiders in the area or is it just "buggy"? With such a complicated caudal lure, I wonder if eccdysis is difficult? Although caudal luring is relatively common and evolved in many genera, this viper is really something special. I remember seeing a film of it in action...and I can see how it would readily attract saurian prey. Thanks for posting this bizarre and marvelous creature. :thumb:
Vic
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Cool. And everything Vic said.
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Amazing snake. I think, though, that if any arachnophobic ophidiophobes ever saw those pictures, their heads would explode.

JimM
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

I wouldn't imagine that moulting presents any greater difficulty for this snake than moulting does for a rattlesnake.

Cool adaptation.

-Kris
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

You should see videos of the snake actually moving it like a centipede while luring, that makes it even cooler/creepier!
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Has any research been done that has determined the purpose of this caudal adaptation? Is it perhaps used as a caudal lure for unsuspecting prey? I am aware that the juveniles of certain species of snakes have caudal modifications for just this purpose. Do the prey items of this species include spider eaters (like certain lizards or rodents)?
Blacktail31

Post by Blacktail31 »

Very interesting! Very cool!
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

I think it's one of the coolest things in the herp world! When i came uppon this species while researching caudal lures i was absolutely blown away!
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

There is literally no other way to describe it.
Mace-tailed Horned Viper
Spike-tailed Horned Viper
Thorn-tailed Horned Viper
Octopus-tailed Horned Viper
Crab-tailed Horned Viper
Needle-tailed Horned Viper

I could probably think of more if you want. :P
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

If you google "Pseudocerastes urarachnoides video" you'll see numerous sites showing video of the snake's tail in action. Unfortunately they all seem to link to the same footage which isn't that great, but it still shows you an amazing spectacle. :beer:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

klawnskale wrote:I am aware that the juveniles of certain species of snakes have caudal modifications for just this purpose.

This is very interesting to me. Its hard to find any data on the subject just hints here and there and I would love to learn more about this.
Dr. Dark

Post by Dr. Dark »

I have seen pics of this species before...one of the coolest adaptations EVER! If memory serves me, I thought the original article describing this species stated it was only found in Iran, not Iraq. If indeed it is Iraq, hopefully then it will be slightly more accessible for further research.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Very cool and thanks for posting these rare photos!
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

JAMAUGHN wrote:Amazing snake. I think, though, that if any arachnophobic ophidiophobes ever saw those pictures, their heads would explode.

JimM
Seriously crying with laughter at work!

I am thoroughly creeped out my that viper's lure.