Both ends of the Spectrum

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mike VanValen

Both ends of the Spectrum

Post by Mike VanValen »

Late summer is one of my favorite times of year.

Not easy to come across in late August is the Spotted Turtle (Clemmys guttata). Depending on the status of their water source most spotted turtles have dug down during the dog days of summer. This small male was seen as pictured, preparing to dig down into a muddy path adjacent to his dried up swamp.

Amphibians are booming this time of year, as thousands of metamorph anurans spread across the landscape. However, on the lower end of the spectrum, Northern Leopard Frogs (Lithobates pipiens) are not an easy species to find in Connecticut. Although, where found, they can be locally common.

As we move along the spectrum of late summer, common species become more apparent. As mentioned before, anurans have exploded as this years crop has sprouted legs.

Pickerel frogs (Lithobates palustris) are like little rockets in the grass.

Red efts (Notophthalmus viridescens) gather under moist logs in the forest.

Turtles are still busy patrolling the waterways, such as the eastern painted turtle (Chrysemys picta picta) and the introduced red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans).

Not to be outdone, many snakes have given birth as well. It is not uncommon to see a tiny eastern gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) moving through the leaf litter.

Adult snakes are still to be seen. This particular northern watersnake (Nerodia sipedon sipedon) is almost guaranteed to be seen in his favorite field next to a large flooded meadow. As the water recedes, and the amphibians become more concentrated, this watersnake takes advantage of the feast.

This guy is like a loyal dog, but this dog always bites.

Cryptic species also need to utilize the summer sun and heated rocks to ensure the next generation. On the high end of the spectrum, female northern copperheads (Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen) become more conspicuous...

This nice-sized female is soaking up the warmth from the rocks surrounding the hibernaculum, which will also serve as the place where she gives birth to tiny live young in perhaps a week or so.

The herpetological spectrum. Some species become scarce, while others explode into activity at this crucial time of year. Autumn is coming...

jspreitzer

Re: Both ends of the Spectrum

Post by jspreitzer »

Very nice report & pics. That spotted turtle is quite a find. I would love to see one at any time of year.
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

beautiful copperhead, i still can't turn one up :/
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Awesome post, Mike.

Massachusetts is the same with Leopard Frogs. We've been lucky this year and have found them in four different counties. They were our lifer last year (in a spot that was going crazy with recently metamorphs in July).

Copperhead is my only 2012 species that I have not yet found in 2013.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

It took me a while to actually go out to see Leopard Frogs. I knew where to generally see them and I got lucky at the first pond. I then found out that the brown form has only been found in the county I saw them. Both green and brown occur together at this spot.

Leopard frogs : trash species for some, exciting find for us new englanders.
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

Nice well done report and photos.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Great stuff Mike.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Thanks gentlemen.
SHELLFISH

Post by SHELLFISH »

Nice post with nice pictures! Spotteds have an interesting year where they do quite a bit of migrating between habitats.

The only Leopard frog habitats I know of are in northern CT and none along the coast!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I love the pipiens! Nice to see a post from you, Mike!
kricket

Post by kricket »

That was really poetic and lovely! Though, am I the only one who has never had a watersnake even try to bite me? Or maybe they just don't like men... :lol: Kara
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

kricket wrote:That was really poetic and lovely! Though, am I the only one who has never had a watersnake even try to bite me? Or maybe they just don't like men... :lol: Kara
I've been bitten 3 or 4 times, but I usually am not the first to hold them. That honor goes to my husband Mike H, who is often sporting a bloody hand.

Twice this year I have had them leave teeth in my skin, so I try to avoid the bites to save their teeth!
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Not only does every Nerodia bite me, I've been the lucky recipient of having musk sprayed into my open mouth by a flailing watersnake.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Excellent, Mike. I especially like the Spotted on the wet path. Cool stuff.
Tim
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Mike VanValen wrote:Not only does every Nerodia bite me, I've been the lucky recipient of having musk sprayed into my open mouth by a flailing watersnake.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!! :shock: