RFI Florida

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mrichardson

RFI Florida

Post by mrichardson »

Hi guys

I will be visiting Florida in mid-October and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I plan to do a little evening road cruising (both in Ocala NF and Big Cypress). Is there a cut off temperature below which snakes are unlikely to be on the road? What are ideal conditions for road cruising in October? If the herps aren't out I will turn my attention to mammals so it will not be a wasted trip. Please note I am not asking for particular sites or roads to drive for snakes.

Secondly, I would really like to see a Florida Black Bear. I understand Ocala NF is a good place to look. Is there a particular area or road I should try? I read something on here pre-crash about a particular area where the bears feed from trash cans? Any bear spotting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help

Kind regards

Mike
intermedius

Re: RFI Florida

Post by intermedius »

I think you're coming at the right time. I would choose a warm humid night when the moon isn't too full (half moon and crescents) make sure the road is nice and warm and that it didn't rain unless you'd like to see amphibians. Personally it wouldn't matter though because at that time you'll be guaranteed at least one snake, plus just the factor of being there is nice because after all there is only one Everglades :)

Wish you luck

Intermedius
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

You can google earth Ocala NF, and see all those dirt roads...pick one and you will have a good chance at black bears. That being said, road cruise in the morning for things in Ocala NF. Night cruising in that forest is awful.

ENP is good in late afternoon and on into night. Rains aren't a huge problem, as long as the sun does come back out. Not only that, but it can be raining in some parts and be perfectly sunny in other parts...it's a huge park.

You'll do fine.

-Jake
mrichardson

Post by mrichardson »

Thanks for the advice Intermedius and Jake, it's greatly appreciated. I'm pretty easily pleased when it comes to wildlife so hopefully I'll see something no matter the conditions.

Kind regards

Mike
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Night cruising in that forest is awful.
x2

Though, the bears I have seen were at dusk (and it was summer) so perhaps cooler fall temps will mean they're active during the day.

Here is my example.
mrichardson

Post by mrichardson »

captainjack0000 wrote:
Night cruising in that forest is awful.
x2

Though, the bears I have seen were at dusk (and it was summer) so perhaps cooler fall temps will mean they're active during the day.

Here is my example.
Excellent! I would be happy with a view like that!
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I hope you are successful!