Cane toads in Texas

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DracoRJC

Cane toads in Texas

Post by DracoRJC »

Has anyone actually seen these guys in the state? Outside of field guides with little information, I have never seen or heard mention of them in Texas, even from FHF members. Whats the sitch?

Ryan

Scott_Wahlberg

Re: Cane toads in Texas

Post by Scott_Wahlberg »

Yes, they are common throughout the Rio Grande Valley.

DracoRJC

Post by DracoRJC »

Are they just so common that no one posts them, like the rest of the 'trash toads'? I would be really curious to see pictures of Texas specimens and the habitats they are found in.

The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

I see them on occasion even in my backyard, and I live in a largely urban area of the valley (though there is a largely treeless plain behind my house, a few hundred acres most likely).

chrish

Post by chrish »

They are reasonably common in south Texas but I wouldn't call them abundant like they can be in other places (like where they are introduced).

Here's a big lunker from Webb County -

I think people just don't photograph them because they are cane toads? I actually don't like calling them Cane Toads. That name is a reflection of their feral populations. I much prefer the name Giant Toad since here in Texas, they are native.

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Love that photo, Chrish. What a magnificent toad!

Raymond McConnell

Post by Raymond McConnell »

There are 5 cane toads in the database from Texas: http://www.naherp.com/search.php?r_owne ... &r_county=

John Williams

Post by John Williams »

As others have said, they can be relatively common on back roads in the valley, although most you see are DOR these days. They can also be found in urban areas like backyards, hotel parking lots, etc. Their call is one of the coolest in the states!

I've always wondered where they go and how they get there after being active all night, especially on nights with no precipitation. They must go underground as hot/dry as it is down there, but they can be huge so are they burrowing? Using large mammal burrows?

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

John,
I absolutely love that first photo.

Jlassiter

Post by Jlassiter »

Toby Brock and Myself found one east of Hebronville...Looking for picture now....

chrish

Post by chrish »

Yeah, their rattling call is really neat. It doesn't sound like an amphibian when you first hear it.

It's a shame that there are more records of marina in the database from Hawaii and Florida than there are from Texas.

Here's one that was sitting under a bird drip at Estero Llano Grande State Park. I guess he was having a little bath and hoping a little warbler would join him. "Here birdie, birdie, birdie...."

keown

Post by keown »

When I lived in the Rio Grande Valley back in the 70s and early 80s they were fairly abundant in Hidalgo County. I would occasionally find them in our yard and was always concerned that our dogs might take one of them on. Also frequently saw them along some of the canal banks throughout the county at night. I photographed a couple of them back then, but would be hard-pressed to find those old 35mm. transparencies today.

Gerald

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Couple thoughts:

Chris
Yeah, their rattling call is really neat.
Very true. The call is reminiscent of Sandhill Cranes.

In south Fl, as a precaution against Cane Toads, every dog, especially puppies, that enters our extended family gets exposed to Southern Toads early to learn to avoid toads completely.

Possibly a tip for RGV; in southern FL, a sure way of finding them is on golf courses, immediately after the sprinklers shut off in the evening. (The sprinklers get rid of nuisance golfers too, an invasive species!) :lol: