Crazy video-sea snake and moray

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Crazy video-sea snake and moray

Post by Antonsrkn »

I just came across this video, too cool not to share. Some of you have probably seen this before but its really amazing!

The moray seems too big for that snake but who knows? After a meal like that I bet the snake would have trouble swimming.

Blacktail31

Re: Crazy video-sea snake and moray

Post by Blacktail31 »

Wow! You don't see that every day. I wonder if later on the Moray succumbed to the venom from that sea krait or not. Cool Video thanks!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Wow, That is cool video.

I doubt the snake managed to swallow that thing. It looks too big. And the snake would have to come up for air before it got it down, I suspect.

Clearly the Laticauda's venom is having an effect. I've restrained a moray before and they don't sit calmly like that.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

yowser, what an amazing video, interesting that w/ such potent prey, the krait didnt wait until it had succumbed to its venom prior to attempting ingestion, like most hots seem to do. ive run into a few of those morays when night hunting lobsters ... just about makes me inhale the regulator when that big toothy head comes up out of a cave and into my light!
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Having sustained two bites from moray eels(to the same finger/hand-which though it is scarred I still have!) I agree with the others that the venom definitely had an effect here. It must be incredibly quick acting to have calmed the eel down like that before it got torn to shreds.

Does anyone wonder if the scuba divers presence spooked the snake and caused it to give up? Or else brought the eel back to fighting which then indirectly resulted in its release?
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

regalringneck wrote:yowser, what an amazing video, interesting that w/ such potent prey, the krait didnt wait until it had succumbed to its venom prior to attempting ingestion, like most hots seem to do. ive run into a few of those morays when night hunting lobsters ... just about makes me inhale the regulator when that big toothy head comes up out of a cave and into my light!
regal, it has to hang on or else the prey will escape. it's in the water and no scent trail will be evident. i believe pigmys, saugas, cottons hunt in this manner when feeding on lizards(which run up trees) and frogs(which disappear under water).

this has been good conversation at the fireside in the past.

-ben