More odds than ends...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mulebrother

More odds than ends...

Post by Mulebrother »

Been a while since my last post. STupid filter at work keeps me from visiting as much as I used to, so I had some odds and ends that needed to be posted.

Family vacation to FL means I try to herp as much as possible (despite the horrible time of year for panhandle herping).
On the way down, I spent a night in the Magnolia state road cruising with a friend.

First find in FL was was this gulf coast box turtle.

Saw a big group of these snake killers!

Of course, my target species was plentiful, but dor...

almost got eaten alive by mosquitos when we found this ugly garter....

Then, in early August a few folks got out for some roadcruising. From left to right- jerrod, jeremy, rachel, mike, and ambroise (we'll get to him later...)

My son begrudgingly quit practicing casting long enough to show how large this prairie king was...that stick is 46"...

Ok, this next bunch of pictures are from a night of roadcruising. You will notice a theme. That is, this French guy named Ambroise was visiting some folks here locally and he's into herps so we took him out. I told him I was gonna shoot a pic of him every time we stopped at a snake...and I pretty much did. I'm thinkin he thinks we redneck hillbillies are crazy. It also afforded me a chance to mess with a new flash, so there was a method to the madness...but like I say, this french dude was scratching his head by the end of the night.

Got a 'what kind of snake is this?' text one night...turned out to be a super rare one for here in arkansas...cemaphora. It was saved from the pool skimmer, I took some photos of it and released it. It sure lived up to it's reputation as being on of, if not THE most difficult species to photograph.

Then, in late august, I got a message from another buddy of mine- he lives on a mtn that we've suspected of having atrox- anyway, last year a small one crawled up onto his carport one night...this year, his wife stumbled across this one by their driveway. He wanted us to come sex it, so me, eric and jeremy made a trip over to check it out. Turns out to be a big male, which was what we expected... approx 61" long and 6.74lbs. A classic eastern/western from around here! (by that, I mean our western dback's look more like edb's than westerns)

We always hoped we'd need that big tube for something!

This is my buddy, he's a retired Master Sgt from the Air Force...big into herps, hots in particular. He's 5'10" for reference. Luckiest guy i know!

Thats all folks!
Good herping.
Joshua Jones

Re: More odds than ends...

Post by Joshua Jones »

Great stuff. I'm glad you got that beast of an atrox before he became someone's 15' rattlesnake photo. :lol:
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Very impressive diamondback, what an amazing creature! Is the mud snake in your picture dead? It's muscle tone looks strange to me...
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

Yeah, both mud snakes were fresh DOR's- seems like thats the only way I ever find them!
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

FYI-

The picture with this caption
Of course, my target species was plentiful, but dor...

Says content protected by owner and does not show a picture. I'm guessing its a mud snake...

(at least me for it looks like this)
snakehunter

Post by snakehunter »

Great post
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

Capnjack- yeah its a mudsnake...no idea why you cant see it though...
pete

Post by pete »

That first corn is GORGEOUS!!!
Great post, you live in a great part of the country. Those western pygmies are badass! Glad to see that atrox didn't become somebodies belt :)
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

Holysmokes, that atrox is worthy of its own thread, in fact i'd give it "the largest rattlesnake ive ever seen" title, looks like an honest 6' if it relaxed. Must be eating turkeys & whitetails!
Mebbe we otta start a giant snattlerake thread & that beast ought to be photo#1. I have a jpg of a 5'+ monster that might qualify ...
justinm

Post by justinm »

I'm seriously impressed at the size of that Diamondback. Couldn't be happier that the owner of that land is cool and is going to let his pass those monster genes on.
JEDDLV

Post by JEDDLV »

Nice post, great pics, thanks for sharing
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

Yeah, "we" were all real happy he found it and not his neighbors...there was another one about the same size floating around on facebook that some redneck killed. It is a dandy, thats for sure.
bushmaster W30

Post by bushmaster W30 »

Nice stuff brad. I'm gettin an atrox chub. Nice scarlet too. The boys getting big man it won't be long and your water bill is gonna double.
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

Great pics as always Brad! It sure was great getting to see that beast in person! I can't wait to start visiting the dens! :)