Annual NAFHA meeting

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

azatrox

Annual NAFHA meeting

Post by azatrox »

As most know, the annual NAFHA meeting was this past weekend in North Carolina. While I will throw up a few pics once I'm done processing, I was a wee bit disappointed that Arizona did not have a stronger presence there. A good time was had by all, and these meetings are a great opportunity to connect with herpers from across the country. NC has a bit of something for everyone...whether you're into snot lizards, kingsnakes, crotes, alligators, etc. there was something to see for everyone. It seems that those in (some of) the western states aren't really interested in what the midwest/east coast has to offer.

Is this the case or is there something else going on?

The meeting is probably going to be somewhere west of the Rockies next year, so it will be interesting to see what the CA and AZ turnout is for that....and (conversely) what the midwest and eastern turnout is.

-Kris
Norman D

Re: Annual NAFHA meeting

Post by Norman D »

I want to do the east coast especially for the crotes. I just didn't have the time or money to do that trip. In addition, I don't like to herp with large groups. Plus, I can't imagine photographing animals with such a large group of people... how long it would take and how much it stresses out the animals.

I will get around to the midwest and east coast....
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Norm...

Allow me to perhaps clarify some misunderstandings....

Yes, we all camped in the same campsite....but as far as the herping, it's a bunch of small groups that go off and do different things in different places. Everyone kind of has different things they want to see, so that necessitates checking out different habitats....I herped with 3 other people virtually the entire time. Croatan National Forest is a big place, so there's more than enough room to go off by yourself or with a small group and do your own thing.

As far as photographing with large groups of people, some animals are brought back to camp so others can photo, but others are not. I got some nice in situ photos of some killer animals and these animals were not brought back to camp. I too don't particularly like photographing with large groups, so I'll usually wait until everyone else has their photos before I get mine. A good number of the animals seen were not brought back to camp at all.

As far as the time and money issues, I imagine that holds true for quite a few folks...I had to forego a few trips this year in order to make this one...Glad I did as it was quite productive and I got to see and photo some stuff I've wanted to see since childhood.

-Kris
craigb

Post by craigb »

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Personally, I've herped N. C. a lot over the years. Used to be one of my favorite places to go when I lived in MI. This year I've herped in a lot of different states and N. C. just wasn't on my list. I went to Utah and Idaho this spring and Michigan this summer. By the time I heard about the N. C. trip I had already committed to other things. The main reason I would go to one of these annual meetings would be for the NAFHA stuff and/or meeting other NAHFA members. Actually, I meet a lot of NAFHA members right here in AZ. As far as what NAFHA business takes place, I'm a little unsure of what that is?

Terry
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

As far as what NAFHA business takes place, I'm a little unsure of what that is?

Having gone to the first two NAFHA annual meetings, I can say that the locals that go in the areas that the meetings are held go more for the meet & greet and the opportunity to meet other herpers that they've talked with online for years in person. Sure, they herp too when they're there, but they herp the areas all the time so finding animals and getting photos usually isn't their primary concern.

As far as official NAFHA business, well....finds are inputted into the NAFHA database and every once in awhile someone finds something significant. Other than that, it's pretty much an opportunity to find cool animals, meet like minded people and share some drinks and stories around the campfire.

-Kris
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

My biggest problem is that I have to schedule my time off for year XXXX the December prior. So if an event such as this occurs I have no way to plan for it unless the date is announced the year prior!
One of many reasons why I hate my job!

Looking forward to your photos Kris! I remember the ones from last year on Snake Road....

Dave
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Thanks for coming Kris! I understand travelling that far can be cost prohibitive for some, so I didn't expect many from the west. I was the only one from the Northeast which was a little disappointing. Still, we had representatives from Arizona, Washington, Minnesota, Illinois, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Florida.
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

It's a fair sentiment. But I've zero apologies. I'm in S. AZ and I ain't leavin. Period. If leaving the state for herp functions is ever a requirement of AZ chapter office, count me out. Won't do it. Will decline all nominations. Happily.

If anyone wants to step up for AZ chapter office in '14 and travel to NAFHA as they deem business beckons, please step up. Anyone willing to put forth their time, money, and effort for the cause I totally applaud; you've got my vote. I encourage and implore anybody with the means, and moreso the will, to please do so. When the call for 2013 AZ chapter officers and nominees came about, only crickets were heard on the AZ chapter boards for a month.

Love herps. But I love S. AZ exponentially more. Herps are the sugar on top of a place I love for more reasons than I can count. I'm in S. AZ because there's no place in the galaxy I'd rather be. Not for 30 seconds, and certainly not for herps. Been in every state of the lower 48. This is my paradise. Took me 35 years to get here. Hell if I'm leaving for anything.

Guess that clears that up.

Again, not much of an apology. LOL.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

NAFHA has members of all types.. Some that just enter data, Some that just like the social part of it and could care less about data, Some that like to post on the forums, Some that get involved (with tremendous man hours) become officers to make us better, and some that do it all..

Janine McCabe for example has 415 AZ records :thumb: this year, yet I don't think she posts much.

We are a volunteer organization, and we welcome any/all level of activity.

My Job doesn't allow me to pre-plan in advance to go away, especially this time of year. Everyone's situation is different. I would have loved to have gone, but couldn't make it happen..

I am so busy with NAFHA business and HERP business, ontop of work and family obligations, there was no way I could swing it all.

Thank you to all that made the trip.. :thumb:

Fundad

PS Monty, there will never be a mandate for an officer to have to travel out of state. :D
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Love herps. But I love S. AZ exponentially more. Herps are the sugar on top of a place I love for more reasons than I can count. I'm in S. AZ because there's no place in the galaxy I'd rather be. Not for 30 seconds, and certainly not for herps....

To each their own. LOL While I love Az in part for what it has to offer herpwise, (the stunning scenery and awesome lightning shows don't hurt either), there are some damn fine herps (and scenery) on the other side of the 48 that rival Az IMO. Maybe it's a function of having been in Az for the past 19 years and seen pretty much all it has to offer herpwise...Myabe it's a function of having been literally all over the state and seen the sights...Whatever the reason, I'm left with the impression that the world os oh so much bigger than our little corner of it and it needs to be explored and enjoyed.

Like I said, one man's trash is another man's treasure and if one has no desire to see and explore other areas of the country, then don't.

Thank you to all that made the trip.

You're welcome. LOL

-Kris
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Verhoodled wrote: But I love S. AZ exponentially more. Herps are the sugar on top of a place I love for more reasons than I can count. I'm in S. AZ because there's no place in the galaxy I'd rather be.
azatrox wrote: To each their own.
-Kris
Crazy. I am completely opposite. I have only been herping for a few years and I am burned out on the sky islands - too many birders/herpers. haha.

I'd love to make a trip to the east for crotes.... but it's cheaper for me to go south of the border than to do the eastern states. BUT, one of these days I gotta do that stuff
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

Kris,

Well put!

See, I'm the anti-Bono. I found what I'm looking for, and as such am staying put. The band is kinda lame honestly. Our guitarist calls himself The Middle. Yeah, we aim low. But we're happy.

And I state this here publicly for the record. Via forums Kris has taught me more about AZ herps and certainly crotes and even photography than I can articulate. There's no way I can reciprocate the debt of knowledge he's offered. He's one of the very few crote gurus that offered me specific answers to specific questions I had about them (ID, sexing, etc). What he's forgotten about herps is way more than I'll ever know. I'm very impressed he made the trek east. Moreso impressed he didn't get poison ivy or poison sumac -- my lethal nemeses (was hospitalized once because of it) -- chief reasons I fled the east (other than S. AZ being so damn awesome). But his posts have made my head spin long before I landed for good in AZ 8 years ago. They'll still make my head spin 8 years from now.

As an east vs west spoiler I will state that while cholla sucks to the extreme it doesn't hold a candle to the torment poison ivy and sumac can bring. I implore folks to NOT test this assertion on their own.

I met Terry, met Diego and a few others this year. Was ceaselessly impressed by both, as well as the others. Joined a few larger group outings, but that reaffirmed all I needed to know about my social herping endeavors. Nothing anybody there did at all. But know thyself. Group settings are a strange discomfort for me. I function best in outings of ones or twos and have been happy to help several visiting NAFHA folks hit some of their lifer AZ animals over the past 2 years. It's rather a weird honor to be considered an AZ "insider" when I measure what little I know vs the vets of herp knowledge that abound in AZ.

I'm a noob here. Probably will be for another 10 years, at least. But I'll be happy to represent the chapter locally when and if needed. Dave, Terry, and Ben have kicked it time and time again for this chapter. I'm just trying to support their lead. Kris, had I any clue you were headed east I would have tried to sync up one of my contacts with you. If only to help defray any costs of airport logistics or so forth, and might have been able to swing you some incredible homebrew in the process. That would have been the least I could do to reciprocate. ;)

I had a job that had me living out of a plane, coast to coast way too often. The job description required tailchasing as a way of life. I got to see some mighty great spots, but eventually the gears give out. No thanks to that anymore. 2 decades is enough. Refused a promotion just so I could drop anchor and stay put. This is a gorgeous nation. Zero faults for anybody settling in any part of it. But after 3 decades in the east, all my question marks were specifically with Sonoran Desert fauna, as well as herps, as illustrated by Stebbins, my first point of contact with any of them. I've dropped anchor. Maybe in 10 years the urge to uproot will hit. I can't imagine it, but never say never.

To each their own indeed! Ain't nothing better than seeing someone pursuing their own happiness of whatever construct. Don't anyone ever believe otherwise!
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

azatrox wrote: Maybe it's a function of having been in Az for the past 19 years and seen pretty much all it has to offer herpwise...Myabe it's a function of having been literally all over the state and seen the sights...Whatever the reason, I'm left with the impression that the world os oh so much bigger than our little corner of it and it needs to be explored and enjoyed.

-Kris
LOL. Bingo, that's it in a nutshell. I'm the inverse of you. You're at the depature gate. I'm coming in for landing and repairs. And Tucson is a pretty good spot for such battered aircraft.

I've been an east coast cat held by the scruff of the neck tossed corporately east to west for 20 years at the snap of a thumb. Just trying to shake loose, slick back the fur, and feel at home in one place for a fixed amount of time.

The world is absolutely worth exploring. Everybody should hit it. I'm just one of those scruffs happy to for now grab a chair, a daiquiri, and to get out of everyone else's way.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

And I state this here publicly for the record. Via forums Kris has taught me more about AZ herps and certainly crotes and even photography than I can articulate. There's no way I can reciprocate the debt of knowledge he's offered. He's one of the very few crote gurus that offered me specific answers to specific questions I had about them (ID, sexing, etc). What he's forgotten about herps is way more than I'll ever know. I'm very impressed he made the trek east. Moreso impressed he didn't get poison ivy or poison sumac -- my lethal nemeses (was hospitalized once because of it) -- chief reasons I fled the east (other than S. AZ being so damn awesome).

Monty, if I've been able to help you enjoy the wilds of Arizona as I have, then I've succeeded. While there's a definite vibe of secrecy amongst the Az herping community, I can see both the benefits and the drawbacks to such a vibe. Perhaps the biggest drawback is that such a vibe is not inclusive in nature, and doesn't foster an atmosphere of discovery or community. Yes, there are bad apples that take info and exploit it for personal and financial gain...But you have those pretty much everywhere....The herp world is no different. I just never subscribed to the notion that the unknown is necessarily bad. Yes, discretion and common sense should be exercised when discussing sensitive species, but I think as a community we sometimes go over the top with all the secret squirrel society bs. Like you, I have helped out of staters with finding lifers...it's one of the few things left in Az that actually makes things new and exciting for me. That said, I do have to know someone well enough to make a judgement call as to their character before I divulge info...Luckily, I've been a good judge of character thus far.

Joined a few larger group outings, but that reaffirmed all I needed to know about my social herping endeavors.

I'm not typically much for "caravan herping" either. When I go out within Az, it's usually by myself or with 1 or 2 other guys. I do have a great group of friends from all over the country, and we enjoy going somewhere new to all of us (i.e. Mexico) together and finding new stuff. That's as much for the social bonding as the herping.

As an east vs west spoiler I will state that while cholla sucks to the extreme it doesn't hold a candle to the torment poison ivy and sumac can bring. I implore folks to NOT test this assertion on their own.

Having tasted the wrath of both cholla and the Toxicodendron complex, I can wholeheartedly endorse your stance! Having grown up in the Bay Area, my outdoor excursions were somewhat limited by the proliferation of poison oak there. It's EVERYWHERE!!!! I still got out as a kid and found cool stuff, but I'll admit that there were just some places I didn't go because I'm so allergic. I've had it over every single square inch of my body, and had to go to the hospital on numerous occasions because of it. Not fun!

Now that there are a few products on the market that effectively deal with Toxicodendron (BEFORE the rash and blisters!), I'm relatively free to explore anywhere I want without constantly worrying that I've inadvertently come in contact with it. I'm still overly cautious around it (surely a product of a childoohd spent with swollen eyes, grotesque arms and legs and itchy junk!), and that's a good thing.

Point is...I avoid it whenever possible while still doing what I love doing.

BTW - Poison ivy is fairly common in southern Az, in the right habitats. It's not just an east coast thing. :(

-Kris
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

azatrox wrote:
BTW - Poison ivy is fairly common in southern Az, in the right habitats. It's not just an east coast thing. :(

-Kris
Ugh, say it ain't so! But thanks for the warning! :thumb: