BIG Wisconsin Bullsnake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Heaven

BIG Wisconsin Bullsnake

Post by Heaven »

I wanted to take advantage of the nice weather that mother nature has been dishing out here in Wisconsin, so I checked a couple spots Tuesday afternoon.
Imagine my joy when I cam across this BIG Wiscosnin Bullsnake. I almost couldn't believe my eyes, all five feet of him stretched out catching some rays.

2213_framed by heavensherps, on Flickr

2279_framed by heavensherps, on Flickr

2269_framed by heavensherps, on Flickr

He eventually got tired of our photo session and climbed up a nearby tree. I really wasn't expecting that, but he did it with great ease.

2368_framed by heavensherps, on Flickr

2347_framed by heavensherps, on Flickr

Here he is peering down from the tree, looking to see if the coast is clear.

2394_framed by heavensherps, on Flickr

I was an awesome way to say goodbye to summer!
Heaven

Re: BIG Wisconsin Bullsnake

Post by Heaven »

Dang this place is dead. Has everyone moved to facebook?
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

i was certainly glad to hear you asked if my friends were collecting. it put them at ease as well as i. you are good in my book. glad you had a good day. we saw one under an overhang at that location this spring that probably went 6 1/2 maybe 7. couldn't pull it for a measurement though. seen plenty of 6+ at that site.

-ben
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

Ben - I've had a lot of good finds this season but this was my favorite of all. I'm still hoping for a fox snake. I'm heading north tomorrow if the weather cooperates.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

where?

i'm free tomorrow. i'll put you on foxes.

-ben
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

On a sunny fall day like today would I more likely see a fox snake out sunning next to it's den or under some sort of cover (rock, log, etc.)?
justinm

Post by justinm »

No offense but you posted a lot of redundant pictures of just one snake. That doesn't usually illicit a huge response but I don't think this place is dead, I check it regularly.
JBBoiler

Post by JBBoiler »

An awesome looking bull and I haven't heard of them climbing trees so a cool observation.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

Heaven, Nice to meet you. I was "there" with my brother when you and your cuz showed up. Glad you had some luck! I believe we've chatted some in a few of your other posts. Like Ben said, glad you asked if I collected right off the bat, I was initially kinda annoyed/pissed to see other random people, but since you asked right off the bat..... and if Ben thinks you're cool, I guess you're good in my book.
Knightkrawler5

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

good to see snakes are still out and about out there...and yeah that place has some nice bulls 6'+ bulls
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

Hey Phil, have you had any luck in that area near your cabin? I've been meaning to make a fall trip up there but I haven't got around to it. I've been real happy with my finds this year. The timbers and bullsnake were the highlights. Next year I hope to photograph a non all black eastern hoggy and a wood turtle.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

mike, the hog shouldn't be a problem. as far as non-black, i have yet to see a black one here in wisconsin. the area around phil's cabin would be a perfect place to start for the hog. lot's of other species in that area as well.

the woodie will be more difficult. research will be essential. if you have a canoe/kayak that would be a plus. if not, i'd suggest road cruising during the nesting season. as long as you are near suitable habitat. i'll let you research this one. we can touch base this spring and you can tell me what you came up with. i know some good woodie spots. if you come close to them i will tell you. like i said, research. i'll give you one hint though. you may have to go north if you want to increase your odds of finding one. they are very cool turtles and well worth the effort.

-ben
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

Sounds good Ben. I'll do as you mentioned, I'm looking forward to an even better season next year.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

My area has produced plenty of non-black hogs, as well as other species. I haven't had much time to herp it until this year and have had limited success lately. We could meet sometime potentially at my cabin for a weekend I suppose.
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

That'd be cool Phil. I'm definitely going to give that area another look next spring. I was talking to an old college buddy and he has some land in Burnett County that sounds very promising. I'm going to spend the winter planning my trips for next season :)