GPS Suggestions?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

The Jake-Man

GPS Suggestions?

Post by The Jake-Man »

Hi everybody, I just wanted to ask what suggestions you all had as far as what I should get for a handheld GPS. I'm looking for something under $200, that can be used to set waypoints so I can find herping spots in areas without cell reception, and maybe something that shows topography/terrain. After doing some preliminary research, all I have really found out is that there are a ridiculous number of different brands and models of handheld GPS devices in this price range. I'm not asking anybody to do this research for me, I just figured that if anyone on here had a preference as to what they look for, or what they currently use, that they might share it.

Regards, Jake
Calfirecap

Re: GPS Suggestions?

Post by Calfirecap »

Jake,
I have been using a Garmen Map60csx for quite a few years now and like it. It's been discontinued so you may be able to get a deal on one if you shop around, maybe not for under $200, but perhaps close. It works indoors as well as outside and mine has literally thousands of hours and although a little worn, still works great. I've also got topo maps for the entire state of California loaded onto it. Now that might not help you, but there might be something out there for your state that you could load up and use.

Lawrence
chrish

Re: GPS Suggestions?

Post by chrish »

I also have a Garmin 60cs which predates the csx. I have to say it is just about perfect as a herper's GPS. My only beef is it is a pain to have to type in meaningful titles to your waypoints. I've probably had mine somewhere around 10 years (?) and I've used it on 5 continents and it has never let me down. It is much better at getting a fix than other units I have seen. Mine had the glass cracked in my suitcase on one trip, but the old girl just keeps on tickin'.

That said, it is a bit above your price range. If all you want is to take waypoints (and assuming you have GPS capable phone) why not just use a good GPS app (GPSstatus is very good)?

If you want maps, you want one with a decent color screen, imho. I'm not sure what decent ones there are in your budget range. I would want one with a USB connection and either a lot of RAM or that will take a micro-usb card. Another must have for me is the ability to use third party (i.e. free!) maps and not just the overpriced maps sold by the company.