Looking for tips for herping Costa Rica's east coast

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrisr

Looking for tips for herping Costa Rica's east coast

Post by chrisr »

Hi all,

I am strongly considering heading down to Costa Rica for a week this winter. CR is my favorite wildlife viewing country after having been there twice in the early 2000s. I figured I would ask here if anyone has any tips for herping the eastern area as it seemed like getting around was not as straight forward as other parts of the country when I was down there. I'm sure there are a bunch of posts here on this and I have found a few but figured I would ask for suggestions.

The last time I was down there I herped with Quetzal which was amazing and I loved Dominical. I may have to return there as well this time..

thanks for any suggestions/resources,

Chris
chrisr

Re: Looking for tips for herping Costa Rica's east coast

Post by chrisr »

OK, just found this and liking the advice I found: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15159&hilit=dominical
Roki

Post by Roki »

Yeah, check out the field reports that are on here form last year and the year before. There is some pretty helpful stuff in there. If you have trouble finding them, use the search function in the top right area of the screen.
Roki
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I had a great time on the coast way down near Panama (area around "Salsa Brava" & Puerto Viejo). For getting around the country we just rented a car, that was a good call for us. For exploring in the woods in that area - not obviously tourist-friendly public land - my wife & I hired a guide I picked up outside a restaurant. Other areas like Cahuita - an actual National Park, with roads and trails - you can do it yourself. We saw some very cool stuff and also learned things we wouldn't have without the guide.

Cheers,
Jimi
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Thanks so much guys. My current plan is to stay at Brian's CRARC for a few nights and then head down to the southeast coast. Really appreciate the tips. Also got a bunch of info from CCarille.
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Another question: My plan is to spend the night near San Jose after I touch down before I head east; does anyone here recommend a place to stay near the San Jose airport?

thanks again,

C