Handful of random pics. CA,AZ, and NV.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jason Hull

Handful of random pics. CA,AZ, and NV.

Post by Jason Hull »

HI folks,
These are just a few pics that I had left on my camera after this seasons adventures. Not much here compared to how many photos I actually took this year but my computer had an "accident" of sorts and I lost the rest so this is it.

Started the year out with a trip to Southern CA but those photos are gone now. These next few are from the only other CA herp related outing of 2013 for me.

Now that my boys are old enough to get out with me I have to make an effort to pick destinations that support things that interest all of us. This means I've had to add Amphibians and unfortunately insects to my agenda as well.

A couple of the creatures that are more familiar to me.

This girl was a little more up my alley.

This was a new one for me though. I had never seen a Foothill Yellow Legged Frog before.

Normally I get to encounter quite a few oreganus in a season but this year I only saw two.
This is the second.
I got a call from a good friend over the hill from me and he explained how he woke up to grab his slippers off of the front porch. He hooked his fingers inside the slippers and carried them over to the faucet to rinse the dirt off of the bottoms.
This young oreganus flopped out on the ground when he went to shake out the second slipper.

This Fall I got an opportunity to take my oldest son Carter down to AZ to visit my friend Riley. It worked out pretty well because my friend is the only person that I know who has as many answers as a nine year old boy has question.

I don't know why he's smiling. Bugs make me feel like a little kid with the trots.

A couple of bandito amigos.

A/C'S worth a shot anywhere.

A bunch of these Spadefoots were huddled up underneath.

This little Earless Lizard was also a first for me. Reminds me of the Zebra Tails that we have around here.

Tree Lizard I believe.

One of the things my son wanted to see was a turtle. He just about walked right by this Mud Turtle.
Father son moment here.

These Lowland Leopard Frogs were a first for us also.

This one looked to have some small gouges on it's rear legs.

I think he had a pretty good time.

Back home to NV. where I spent most of my snakin time out in the desert east of home looking for Rattlesnakes.

This youngster lutosus was the first snake I saw this Spring.

A couple of road cruised adult lutosus from mid summer.

Some of the Rattlesnakes from this area tend to have some good size to them.

I wish I could just close my eyes and sit still like this when my wife starts up and then she'd just get in the car and drive off.

Hatchling Patchnose Snake.

This snake was seen crossing the road out in the flats far from any real cover except for the rodent burrows.

My son spotted this animal on a hike in mid fall. It was pretty ragged out in the rear 1/3 of it's body like a female that had dropped but from sight it looked like a male to me.

Some angry folks out there in the desert.

I drove up on this snake as it was headed back to it's winter digs in the fall. It wasted no time retreating into this thorn bush.

Still holding on to most of it's juvenile pattern and color.

Seems that it felt safer and maybe even more confident making a stand higher off of the ground in it's makeshift gauntlet of thorns.

D.O.R. lutosus and stephensi from the north western extent of stephensi's range for comparison. These were found on the same road a few mile apart as the crow flies.

This is the first live stephensi that I've seen in NV. It was found further north than the previous D.O.R.

Well, thats all I have left from this year. I know, not much. Pretty boring.
On a positive note I did get a new computer and wi-fi so I've got that goin for me. :thumb:

Cheers, Jason :beer:
hellihooks

Re: Handful of random pics. CA,AZ, and NV.

Post by hellihooks »

good stuff Jason,
FYL have to date eluded me... and I live down here...very nice find. Nothing like getting out in the field with your boys... I miss those days :? jim
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Great stuff Jason! That was too close of a call with the oreganus and the slippers. Loved the look on your son's face with the spider.

Too bad you lost your CA pics - come out next year, we'll get you some more!
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Nice post. Good job on the stephensi. That one oldie looks like a 64-ish Imapala wagon.
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

Fantastic photos. There is nothing worse than losing all of your photos. I love the lutosus and stephensi. I am really fascinated by the distribution limits of the desert species in the NV/OR. How far north were those stephensi?
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Hi Jim, I was pretty happy to see those frogs myself. Just one of the many great things about taking the boys out with me. I probably would have never payed enough attention to see the frogs if not for them.

Hey Kent, some guys have all the luck and he's one of those guys. If that were you or me it probably would have been a helli ride to town for us. Hope all is well and I'll see ya in a couple months.

Hi Carl, thanks. I think you have that exactly correct. Year and all. I was surprised to actually see it dumped out there. Looked like a nice one in it's day.

Thanks Josh. I wasn't half as bummed as my wife was pissed about loosing our youngest son's baby pics.

Hope everyone has a good New Year!
RCampbell

Post by RCampbell »

Dude...Nothing like seeing home..lutosus and "mints"...

I think you got it wrong though...little man was the one with all the answers to my questions! That is one outstanding young man!

Hopefully we can get out more than once this coming year hermano....
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Great post Jason! I haven't checked in here for a while so I just saw it. Look forward to getting out next year!
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Thanks Dudes. Sunny days are right around the corner. I'm looking forward to it also!