State-by-State Status of County Records on H.E.R.P.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ZantiMissKnit

State-by-State Status of County Records on H.E.R.P.

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

This is just a list of each state in the Northeast Chapter and what counties, if any, are without records on H.E.R.P.

I realize that NAFHA and H.E.R.P. are now separate entities, but hope that all NAFHA members continue to contribute.

Connecticut
All counties have records.

Delaware

District of Columbia

Maine
All counties have records (most have few).

Maryland
All counties have many records.

Massachusetts
Counties without records: Dukes, Nantucket

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York
Counties without records: Clinton, Fulton, Kings, Montgomery, Niagara, Rensselear, Schenectady, Schoharie, Seneca, Wyoming, Yates

Pennsylvania
Counties without records: Adams, Armstrong, Fulton, Jefferson

Rhode Island

Vermont

Virginia
Counties without records: Alexandria City, Alleghany, Amelia, Appomattox, Arlington, Bedford City, Bland, Bristol City, Buckingham, Buena Vista City, Charlotte, Charlottesville City, Colonial Hights City, Covington City, Craig, Cumberland, Danville City, Dinwiddie, Fairfax City, Falls Chuch City, Floyd, Fluvanna, Franklin City, Franklin County, Galax City, Hampton City, Harrisburg City, Hopewell City, Lexington City, Louisa, Lunenburg, Lynchburg City, Manassas City, Manassas Park City, Martinsville City, Mecklenburg, Norfolk City, Norton City, Nottoway, Orange, Patrick, Petersburg City, Pittsylvania, Poquoson City, Portsmouth City, Powhatan, Pulaski, Radford City, Roanoke City, Salem City, Staunton City, Tazewell, Waynesboro City, Winchester City

West Virginia
Counties without records: Barbour, Berkeley, Braxton, Cabell, Calhoun, Clay, Doddridge, Gilmen, Hampshire, Hardy, Harrison, Jackson, Lewis, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, McDowell, Mercer, Mineral, Monroe, Morgan, Pleasants, Putnam, Roane, Summers, Taylor, Upshun, Webster, Wyoming

spinifer

Re: State-by-State Status of County Records on H.E.R.P.

Post by spinifer »

You know about this link, right?

Counties with no vouchered records: http://www.naherp.com/util/unvouchered.php

ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

D'oh.

I thought there was something but couldn't find it. Thank you, Nate! I probably should have asked first. :oops:

Herpin_Time

Post by Herpin_Time »

Awesome Nate

incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

I plan to knock some of these off the list this season...

mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

I'm surprised VA has such a poor showing on H.E.R.P.

kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Piedmont is a tough sell, no one wants to go look for the common stuff. I plan on a trip to those "white" counties in the spring.

Jared Cain

Post by Jared Cain »

kyle loucks wrote:Piedmont is a tough sell, no one wants to go look for the common stuff. I plan on a trip to those "white" counties in the spring.

Is it really that boring? I noticed it was being discussed in another thread. Ive been researching some areas in the peidmont in Loudoun and Fairfax counties. Seems like some really cool stuff can be found there. I know what may be common for one person isnt for another but...

eastern cricket frog
green treefrog
spadefeet
white spotted slimy
mud sal
spotted turtle
wood turtle
mud turtle
hognose
mole king
eastern king
rough greens
corns
ribbon snake

All seem like pretty cool animals to me and definitely not common for me or in my areas of WV and MD that I have herped. At least that I know of. Man, you guys are discouraging :( I will certainly get into the areas I have been looking at regardless though :thumb: I wont be that far from those two counties when I get back to MD.

I am also planning out a 2 or 3 day WV trip to different areas to find endemic salamanders and snakes that have very little range into WV. Actually, I hope to get to take a couple of those type trips in WV so a bunch of those counties should have at least some redback vouchers by the end of the year :lol:

ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Seven of the species you list would be lifers for me, Jared, so...what you said about common.

I think the effort would be worthwhile.

Jared Cain

Post by Jared Cain »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:Seven of the species you list would be lifers for me, Jared, so...what you said about common.

I think the effort would be worthwhile.

I think it will be worthwhile also :D 12 of those would be lifers for me. At least as far as "adult lifers". Who knows what Ive seen when I was a very young lad messing around in the creeks and woods. It seems in that area once you cross the Potomac River it turns into a whole different ball game. Its just too enticing for me to get to that area since it will only take about 35 minutes from where I will be at to get across the river into Loudoun County. Though, its not enticing enough to get me to leave this warmer FL weather until spring once work starts again in MD :P

JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Seneca Co. NY is off the list.

JimM

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

So many counties checked off in the Northeast...someone should start a "all the counties with 10 species recorded" list or something.