Herping San Diego

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

SnakeDude

Herping San Diego

Post by SnakeDude »

Hey guys so im down here in SD on a school project, where i'm really just looking for any snakes I can photograph to add to my project. I've been looking for them this whole week, in every canyon I can find, but I think it's just too freaking dry. All i've found so far is a little slender salamander (not sure what kind, im not familiar with sallies. I can post pics if you want). I thought I could at least get a gopher or two, but now I'm looking to the pros for some help :thumb: I know it's like the absolute worst time to find snakes, but I really need to find something so i can bring back pictures. So any advice is appreciated, or PM me if you could meet up tomorrow or Friday. even A helleri would make my day.

I know some people are super cautious about giving out any of their spots, so if you don't want to meet, I could use any advice you have.

thanks,
Ian
Nature Nate

Re: Herping San Diego

Post by Nature Nate »

It's not so much the worst time of year, in fact this is when some species are the easiest to find during a good year, but rather the year itself is probably the worst I have ever seen for herping down here in my limited experience due to the limited rainfall. The old timers are attesting to this fact as well. Anyway, I'm free tomorrow afternoon if you want to flip some boards or rocks. I have a few places in mind but don't set your expectations too high. I think surfinherp (Jeff) is having better luck these days. I'll send a PM with contact info.
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Ian,

It's been so poor around here that I haven't even been going out recently.

If you want, you're welcome to photo some of my captives. I have a decent assortment of common So. Cal. native snakes - some captive bred, some wild caught. Just let me know...

Jeff
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I have some experience, and have seen a handful of snakes over the years, so here is my advice (because of the conditions);

Go fishing..

Fundad
gopher

Post by gopher »

Fundad wrote:I have some experience, and have seen a handful of snakes over the years, so here is my advice (because of the conditions);

Go fishing..

Fundad
Care to share some of those fishing spots?
I understand if you wanna send it via pm. :lol: ;)

just kidding, I rather go birding now...
SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

well EVEN though I should go fishing i think im gonna try a new canyon tomorrow, so we'll see what I turn up.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Try looking in rock crevices for Rosy Boas.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

It's so bad lately...I'm getting skunked when I dream I'm herping... :? jim
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

The increase in humidity may help a little...some runner friends saw a helleri on the crawl a couple days ago. But I've got to echo the others, this is the worst January I can remember.
SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

Well this morning the marine layer was pretty thick, so we'll see if that helps a bit.
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

It's a dust bowl up here in Santa Clarita. At least I'm not racking up miles on my truck. :cry: