When Should I Come to AZ in Spring?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

robert

When Should I Come to AZ in Spring?

Post by robert »

All:

I am on sabbatical this semester have have gotten 'permission' from my family to come to AZ this spring. As an AZ Wannabe, I don't know when the herps start to move in the spring. I would base myself in Tucson and move around the state as the weather warms. FOr example, I can envision trips to the west in the desert low lands and moving southeast to the Sky Islands as the spring warms.

If I can be in AZ for 6-8 weeks, when should I plan on coming? There are many species on my 'lifer list' but seeing a rosy boa is high on that list. I have often heard that this species is most frequently found in the spring, so when should I be in AZ to increase my chances?

Thanks for your help and I looking forward to seeing you this spring (and yes, I hope to return for the 2014 monsoon outing).

Robert
ThamnElegans24

Re: When Should I Come to AZ in Spring?

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

If you have 8 weeks, I would suggest something like April 7th through May 30th. Everything, including boas, are usually pretty easy to find in that time frame.
regalringneck

Re: When Should I Come to AZ in Spring?... prolly

Post by regalringneck »

... damn our President once again hit it outta the park tonight ... clean delineations between the 2 political choices our rulers leave us ... yet it made me proud to be a progressive ...

yes, & good ? If a spring fling west from boston was to be my agenda ... (id prefer the monsoon) i'd be seriously also pondering why not s cali w/ trips to az, & mebbe baja if a cool group w/ 2+ vehicles were going ... but tucsons a gr8t az choice, though not so perfect for spring, ( local & n/nw are fine) ... but if rockboas are the focus (& many of us fully understand that) ... i'd vote wickenburg or palm springs for those dates TE delineated above ... & i'd throw banded gilas, specs, & all the rest on the "wanna see" list ... buena suerte : }
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I agree with Ben, except you could come before April 6th, so you could join us on the Sabino trip. April and May produce some good herps in my area...

;) Terry
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

As others have said, the last 3 weeks of April + May are the best times in Spring to be here.

Be warned: We have gotten tremendously little moisture this year. This will likely affect the number of animals that emerge, the times that they emerge, etc. We haven't had a single good rain at all in January, and the outlook is bleak for February and March as well.

It's shaping up to be a horrible spring numbers-wise (which has pretty much been the norm in recent years anyway).

Be prepared to work your ass off for whatever you see.

- Kris
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

April would be good time as others have said. I've done real well on the western side beginning in early March but the weather is much more erratic. 90 one day then 60 the next with snow the next (yes this happened to me 12 years ago. 90 when I left Sacramento, drove to phoenix and by the next night Scotsdale got snow!) Only herps found were frozen under cover.

So, be ready even in April to chase the weather. I might even have a chance to be there then too... I hope I hope.
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

The north side of Tucson had 2 hours worth of global wetting overnight and this morning. It's a start. Say your herping prayers to the rain gods to keep it coming.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

We had it in G.V. also, south of Tucson.

After a good Fall, it's been a dry winter, so far. It might be poor for the environment and herps this Spring, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I mostly do road cruising at night for desert herps though, and lizards during the day, so I'm always going to see some herps and get a good number of vouchers for the database.

TC :crazyeyes:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Update ... as of March 20... dry as hell and temps in the mid 80's already.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Went out this afternoon, but it was only 70^F in the S. R. Mtns and nothing was moving, except the ubiquitous tree lizard. That's one of my favorite "big" words, btw. Learned it when I got old enough to remember 10 letter words...haha!

PS: Did come home with a couple bunches of bunch grass and some cow poop. That helps the grass grow... :lol:
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

So how'd it go Robert?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

ratsnakehaven wrote:Went out this afternoon, but it was only 70^F in the S. R. Mtns and nothing was moving, except the ubiquitous tree lizard. That's one of my favorite "big" words, btw. Learned it when I got old enough to remember 10 letter words...haha!
Hmmmm... maybe I should change Obligatory to Ubiquitous....

Obligatory Side Blotches

Obligatory Side Blotches
In every So Cal post
Cannot help but take a pic,
Of the lizard you see most.

Here and there, they’re everywhere,
From the deserts to the coast
Every day on every trip,
Bout them, it’s hard to boast.

Some say they are delicious,
Sautéed and served on toast.
But I like to wrap bout 10 on a spit
And have a Side Blotch roast.

Or… eat them raw like sushi,
Or chug them down with juice
But first you have to catch them,
So don’t forget your noose.

Fleeting little tasty snacks
If you believe the hype
But be careful if they’re mostly green…
It means that they’re not ripe.

So don’t bemoan the little Uta
Nature’s rainbow-hued trail mix
But before you munch, collect the data
And don’t forget the pics.

:P :P :P :P jim
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Ha,ha, great one Jim... 8-)

BTW, I got a sideblotch lizard on the road that goes up to Madera Canyon Road a few weeks ago. It's the first I've ever seen in this area. I didn't know we had them. That was a great find for me....

:thumb: TC
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Dang it must be a slow year if you are considering a Uta a great find lol. While you're at it there are no database entries for Utas in Santa Cruz County. Souldn't be too hard to get.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

ThamnElegans24 wrote:Dang it must be a slow year if you are considering a Uta a great find lol. While you're at it there are no database entries for Utas in Santa Cruz County. Souldn't be too hard to get.
All about the rarity, Ben, sometimes just in a certain area. I've been trying to find some of the small desert snakes and lizards in Santa Cruz County for several yrs now. The side blotch lizard was my first in so. Pima Co., in my area. Santa Cruz is only about ten miles away. Maybe I can find side-blotch, sand snake, saddled leaf-nose, etc, there someday. BTW, there is desertscrub near the Santa Cruz Co. line, but the elevation is slightly higher there. It makes a difference, I think.

PS: I got my new computer. I've switched to Mac. Lots to learn I think. I'm going to get an I-phone soon too. Should be able to coordinate them. (I know I'm old fashioned, haha.)

TC :crazyeyes:
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

We had 3 raindrops today. Unsubstantiated are reports that we had 9 raindrops on the back patio of my house.

Still, these are the teasing conditions we can expect until the rain gods open up. Which in Tucson lately has been in concert with the 7/4 fireworks, twice in the past 5 years, enough to postpone them.