My Junior Paper Is To Include Rattlesnake Roundups

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

axeman2729

My Junior Paper Is To Include Rattlesnake Roundups

Post by axeman2729 »

As I am a junior in high school, I have to write a paper on a topic that has an argument on two sides. I originally chose to write solely about how rattlesnake roundups are immoral and cruel however i could not find enough information to write a 1300 word paper... So I switched to how people should be allowed to keep exotic aimals as pets, still no luck... finally I settled on the topic I have now which is animal cruelty. This way I could incorporate rattlesnake roundups in the paper. Here is my intro so far.

When people think of animal cruelty they tend to think of pets such as dogs and cats being mistreated. this is animal cruelty, however there is much more to it than just that. It is the blatant disregard that an animal is more than a piece of meat, that they feel pain just as much as people do, that just because they cannot voice their feelings does not mean that they do not have any. There should be more awareness regarding animal cruelty in the areas of rattlesnake roundups, animals in entertainment, and farming.

when I finish my paper I will post it for anyone who wishes to read it.
The Jake-Man

Re: My Junior Paper Is To Include Rattlesnake Roundups

Post by The Jake-Man »

You may want to include information on non-lethal round-ups in your paper. The ones we have here in Pennsylvania are not perfect, but they are without a doubt a step in the right direction. PM me if you'd like more information, as you probably won't find many articles in print or on the internet.
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

will do man
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Your topic is quite general and there are many avenues to pursue. Having respect for other creatures that share the earth is one . It has often struck me as arbitrary how various life forms are treated, and rattlesnakes seemingly treated without regard to cruelty or respect...i.e. Sewing their lips shut so people can pose with live rattlesnakes for photos. Kicking and tossing them, holding in ones mouth, pinning, etc. this simply would not be tolerated by our society with most other creatures. Cruelty is hard to define and often has a cultural context. For some reason, folks in USA are tolerant of cruelty to snakes, fish , frogs etc, and draw the line on an arbitrary basis.

Your paper can also consider political aspects of rattlesnake round- ups, and your readers may cynically conclude it is all about $ and swaggering egos in a dusty small town.
It is hard to justify in my mind except they perpetuate myths that they are making the world safe for women , children and cattle ...and we need snakeskin hatbands and wallets.

Good luck, I will indeed read your paper. As you get into it, you may find it broad indeed. BTW, your statement that animals suffer or have feelings the same as we do is fodder for debate and difficult to prove. IF your paper is challenged, that would be a likely point.

Good luck, that sounds like an interesting topic. Save it and re -write it again and again in college, as it is a rich philosophical , cultural and sociological vein.

Vic
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

Thank you Vic. If anyone would like I can put my outline for the rattlesnake roundup portion of the paper on here. I would love for some of the guys on here who know far more than I do to help critique it.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

1300 words may sound like a lot, but once you get a good outline developed and start "hanging the meat on the bones," I think you'll find you're gonna have to trim down what you have vs. stretch it to meet the requirement. :thumb:
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Rattlesnake roundups are a good topic for a pro-con paper, since there are other factors involved besides animal cruelty to talk about (tradition, culture, community, inherent fear of snakes, rights of hunters vs. rights of animals, etc). Animal cruelty by itself isn't much of a two-sided topic - what argument can you come up with that is pro-cruelty? People do cruel things to animals mainly because they ignore or are unaware of the cruelty, or there is some social or financial reason to look past it. For example, in the animal farming business, there is usually a trade-off between raising animals in cruelly over-crowded pens that maximize space and produce cheap, plentiful food, and raising them more humanely on large plots but in smaller quantities and at a much higher cost. There are plenty of arguments to be made on both sides of that issue, and surely also on the roundup issue. Maybe you could broaden slightly from rattlesnake roundups to include bullfights, rodeos, and other events that involve animal cruelty and death as a spectator sport.
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

I am including other events such as circuses, seaworld, and snakecharmers. All thhree of these are going to be in the section under animals in entertainment.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

axeman2729 wrote:I am including other events such as circuses, seaworld, and snakecharmers. All thhree of these are going to be in the section under animals in entertainment.

I say again: you may find you need to narrow your focus..."animals in entertainment" could easily be a 1300-word paper on its own! 8-)
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

here is my outline. Also this is not done I still need to finish the third point and my conclusion
Animal Cruelty: Raising Awareness
When people think of animal cruelty they tend to think of pets such as dogs and cats being mistreated. This is animal cruelty but there is much more to it than just that. It is the blatant disregard that an animal is more than a piece of meat, that they feel pain just as much as people do, that just because they cannot voice their feelings does not mean that they do not have any. There should be more awareness regarding animal cruelty in the areas of rattlesnake roundups, animals in entertainment, and farming.

I. Rattlesnake Roundups
A. What and where they are at
1.Rattlesnake roundups are events where people capture as many rattlesnakes as possible and then display them at festivals where they are cruelly treated and then slaughtered
2.Seven states- Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Georgia, Alabama, Pennsylvania
3.Largest located in Sweetwater, Texas
4.Roundups portray rattlesnakes as most dangerous animal in the world
B. Capture and arrival
1.Hunters pour gasoline down burrows causing snakes to come out
2.Gassing hurts more than just rattlesnakes
3.Many snakes arrive crushed to death or starved
C. During the event
1.HSUS-“It is not uncommon for snakes to be kept for long periods of time in trashcans, boxes, and other inappropriate enclosures without food or water.”
2.Fangs torn out and mouths sewn shut so people can take pictures
3.Are slaughtered by decapitation which is not approved by American Veterinary Medical Association
4.“A snakes head and body can stay alive for over an hour after they are separated.”
5.Patrons bath hands in blood from freshly skinned snake and put hand print on wall
II. Entertainment
A. Circuses
1.Every major circus has been cited for minimal standards of care
2.96 percent of circus animals lives are in chains or cages
3.11months a year spent in the same boxcar
4.Many circus and rodeo animals are chained in tiny disease laden enclosures
5.Some countries in the European Union such as Sweden, Denmark and Finland have banned the use of animals in entertainment.
6.Deprive animals of food
7.Bull hooks used on elephants sensitive skin
B. SeaWorld
1.Animals at SeaWorld live in cramped and unnatural enclosures
2.Orcas at SeaWorld have collapsed dorsal fins
3.Diving with dolphins make the animals stressed
4.Orcas are kidnapped from their pods
5.Orcas not taken are killed
C. Snake charmers
1.Snake charmers’ snakes have fangs ripped out
2.Venom glands pierced with hot needle causing them to burst
3.Snake charming is banned in India
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

I guess thats true, Chris
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

I'll echo what others have said. You need to narrow your focus into one or two salient points and then expand upon only those points. Roundups are an emotionally charged issue, and it's very easy to list a litany of reasons why they should no longer occur without providing any real, concrete reasons that back up your assertion. In the end, it's easy to get a rambling monologue that says a lot, but nothing at all. You must appeal to someone that has no vested interest in snakes or their well being...To do that, you have to frame your argument in such a context that they will listen and appreciate that what you are talking about is a real issue that needs their attention and consideration.

Perhaps you can frame your argument without mentioning snakes at all, until you've reached the end. If you're hoping to evoke an emotional response, mentioning snakes too early will invariably turn off a good portion of your audience due to preconceived notions, ignorance and fear. If I were writing the paper, I'd probably push the envelope in a hypothetical example of a cute, cuddly animal that is rounded up and slaughtered...Only after I've connected with the audience on an emotional level and feel confident that I have their emotional buy in would I disclose the fact that I'm actually talking about snakes.

Done properly, the audience may feel sympathy and understanding for the poor animals...and be challenged to maintain their views when it is disclosed that you're actually talking about snakes.

But in order to get to that level, you've got to speak in a way that appeals to the audience's sense of empathy and compassion....And you can't do that if you come out talking about snakes from jump street....Too many will tune out.

-Kris
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

Thank you Kris. I will try to do that.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Is your assignment to argue both sides of a two-sided issue, or just one? From your outline, it looks like you're building a strongly emotional case against something that is essentially indefensible, which I suspect isn't the point of the assignment. Now, if you made your topic "animals in entertainment," and talked about all those events you mentioned, you could still mention all the ways they are cruel like you do in your outline, but still have room to argue, or at least acknowledge, the other side of the argument. You can weigh the value of the animals against the value of entertaining the public.
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

My assignment is to argue one side. And yeah I know that this is kind of a one sided arguement but I didnt pick it. I asked my teacher for help figuring out a new topic as I had already gone through two other ones and she came up with this. i just picked the points
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

here is the finished outline
Garrett Brethauer
Mrs. Altemus
American Literature
March 5, 2014
Animal Cruelty: Raising Awareness
When people think of animal cruelty they tend to think of pets such as dogs and cats being mistreated. This is animal cruelty but there is much more to it than just that. It is the blatant disregard that an animal is more than a piece of meat, that they feel pain just as much as people do, that just because they cannot voice their feelings does not mean that they do not have any. There should be more awareness regarding animal cruelty in the areas of rattlesnake roundups, animals in entertainment, and farming.

I. Rattlesnake Roundups
A. What and where they are at
1. Rattlesnake roundups are events where people capture as many rattlesnakes as possible and then display them at festivals where they are cruelly treated and then slaughtered.
2. Seven states- Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Georgia, Alabama, Pennsylvania
3. Largest located in Sweetwater, Texas.
4. Roundups portray rattlesnakes as most dangerous animal in the world.
B. Capture and arrival
1. Hunters pour gasoline down burrows causing snakes to come out.
2. Gassing hurts more than just rattlesnakes
3. Many snakes arrive crushed to death or starved.
C. During the event
1. HSUS-“It is not uncommon for snakes to be kept for long periods of time in trashcans, boxes, and other inappropriate enclosures without food or water.”
2. Fangs torn out and mouths sewn shut so people can take pictures.
3. Are slaughtered by decapitation which is not approved by American Veterinary Medical Association.
4. “A snakes head and body can stay alive for over an hour after they are separated.”
5. Patrons bath hands in blood from freshly skinned snake and put hand print on wall.
II. Entertainment
A. Circuses
1. Every major circus has been cited for minimal standards of care.
2. 96 percent of circus animals lives are in chains or cages.
3. 11months a year spent in the same boxcar
4. Many circus and rodeo animals are chained in tiny disease laden enclosures.
5. Some countries in the European Union such as Sweden, Denmark and Finland have banned the use of animals in entertainment.
6. Deprive animals of food
7. Bull hooks used on elephants sensitive skin
B. SeaWorld
1. Animals at SeaWorld live in cramped and unnatural enclosures.
2. Orcas at SeaWorld have collapsed dorsal fins.
3. Diving with dolphins make the animals stressed.
4. Orcas are kidnapped from there pods
5. Orcas not taken are killed
C. Snake charmers
1. Snake charmers’ snakes have fangs ripped out
2. Venom glands pierced with hot needle causing them to burst.
3. Snake charming is banned in India.
III. Farming
A. Laws
1. Animal cruelty of farm animals is legal
2. Some states such as Iowa, Utah, and Missouri have a law which makes it illegal for people to go into factory farms with hidden cameras.
B. Conditions at factory farms
1. At Cal-Maine one cage houses multiple birds
2. Each bird only has 67 square inches of cage space
3. Hens live with rotting corpses
4. At Cal-Maine birds often get trapped in wires unable to reach food
5. Eggs are often covered in blood and feces
B. Examples of animal cruelty
1. Workers drip caustic chemicals on horses ankles then put shackles over damaged tissue.
2. Cattle skinned alive
3. Burn and snap off beaks of chicks
4. Workers at Wiese Brothers farms in Greenleaf, Wisconsin whip, prod, and drag cows .
5. Many remain conscious while being dropped into scalding hot water for defeathering.
6. Deprived of exercise so energy goes to production of meat, eggs, or milk.
Animal cruelty is far more than just people not taking care of their pets. It is the inhumane slaughter of thousands of rattlesnakes for pure entertainment. It is the unethical training methods used by circuses. It is the terrible conditions livestock are put in at factory farms. People have to be more aware of the terrible atrocities associated with rattlesnake roundups, animals used in entertainment, and farming.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

A quick plug-in to Word, and it looks like you are over 600 words just for your outline! By the time you make the bullet statements into coherent sentences, you'll hit your 1300-word target and probably much more...
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

I agree that you need to be more specific with your topic. You're going to be all over the board with a topic as general as "Animal Cruelty". With that long list of topics to cover in one paper, your paper will be less effective because you won't be able to go into detail for each of the topics. I like the idea of focusing solely on "Animals in Entertainment". That way the reader will have an easier time tracking and retaining what they read. Good luck! I would be interested in reading the paper when you have completed it!
chrish

Post by chrish »

I will agree with the others that you are trying to cover enough topics for a 13,000 word book, not a short paper.

I would probably take one of your subsets (roundups, sea world, circuses, or farm animals) and focus on that. That way your paper will be making a clear, coherent and well supported point (thesis). Right now your thesis seems to be nothing more than "people do bad things to animals" and here's a list of the bad things they do.

Secondly, I would suggest that you also include a rebuttal of the arguments that support these practices as well as your argument that they are inherently cruel.

Why do the rattlesnake round up people say it is necessary or valuable? What can you say to countact that?
Why are there circuses and animal shows? Why would people go if they are just torturing animals? They clearly have a perceived value to society at large or people wouldn't go.
I know people who have worked with animals at sea world and they are passionate animal lovers. And they fill the audience every day with animal lovers. So where is the disconnect?
Modern farm practices do treat animals like commodities, but what is the real alternative?

(And here's a question for a whole new topic altogether and a whole new can of worms.......Why do these "rignts for ethical treatment of other living creatures" not apply to corn, wheat, the grass on your lawn, ticks, mosquitoes, pathogenic bacteria and the HIV? - j/k - don't include that stuff unless you are writing a paper for a philosophy class and you have 13K words! - just wanted you to think outside the box for a second).

Again, choose one of these subtopics and cover it well and your paper will be much better.
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

The problem with changing my topic is that I have set deadlines for each part of the paper...
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

I will however try to include why people do these things like for example rattlesnake roundups. people host these events to try and control the population.
Badgerberling

Post by Badgerberling »

You might contact some of the roundups and ask what benefits they expect the roundup to produce. Mostly I imagine they are fundraisers for local service clubs or fire and police departments that do good deeds in the community. They just haven't thought of a good replacement fundraiser yet.

That might give a more balanced presentation and show your teacher that you are doing some unbiased research.
Too much reporting is biased to influence public opinion, that is called an essay, and is not good objective journalism.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Pro-roundup arguments:

Rattlesnakes are dangerous to people/hunting dogs, etc, and should be controlled.

Good for tourism/local economy :roll:

Anti: (I could probably think of a lot more)

Cruel to the snakes.

Gassing burrows pollutes the environment and kills non-target species.

Snakebite fatalities are actually rare in the US and there is no need to kill all the snakes.

Snakes are a valuable part of the food chain and control rodent populations, and therefore benefit humans, agriculture, some wildlife species (possibly game birds?).
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

The worse thing about PETA is the impact it has had, of making intelligent, albeit group-approval needful people who would otherwise care about the welfare of animals, afraid to do so, or even appear to.

Eerie.