Herping in mind-late May

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

croelke

Herping in mind-late May

Post by croelke »

Hey folks,

I've never been to Arizona before. I'm coming in mid-late May to visit some friends and fish in northern Arizona. I want to do some herping and wanted some advice. I'm not looking for any specific spots, but general ideas. My three targets are sidewinders, shovelnose, and desert rosy boas. I know winders are easy. Am I wasting my time road cruising western and/or southern Arizona for the boas and shovelnose? If anyone has any tips please feel free to send me a message here, at my email: [email protected], or just reply. Thank you.

Corey Roelke

ThamnElegans24

Re: Herping in mind-late May

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

If you know when and where to look, all 3 of those species should be pretty easy to find in May. I find that shovel-nose can be a bit unpredictable. You can hit the same spot under similar conditions one day to the next and get completely different results. It helps that sidewinders and shovel-nose are found in the same habitat.

azatrox

Re: Herping in mind-late May

Post by azatrox »

My three targets are sidewinders, shovelnose, and desert rosy boas. I know winders are easy. Am I wasting my time road cruising western and/or southern Arizona for the boas and shovelnose?

Late May is a fantastic time to be herping in Az. By that time, everything is up, hungry and/or looking to mate. As to your targets:

1) You're right. C. cerastes should be a cinch. You shouldn't have any issues at all cruising more than a few of these up.
2) Chionactus is also active in May here. Look for areas where roads bisect areas of loose, snady soils. Being a fossorial species, in my experience these areas tend to be best for them. Also, in my experience they are strongly noctural but I have cruised up a few at dusk.
3) Late May is a shade late for peak rosy acitivty, but it isn't like they all magically vanish at once after April. Best you can do is get out there and see what's moving. On the right May dusk/evening, you stand a good shot.

Any time you are in habitat you stand a shot at seeing something....Even in the worst weather there's a shot that something will be out and about when you wouldn't think it should be. Time spent herping in late May in Az is NEVER wasted as (with the possible exception of the moisture bringing monsoon) it just might be the best month for herping here.

Good luck!

-Kris