Tigers

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TravisK

Tigers

Post by TravisK » March 10th, 2014, 7:19 am

Any tips on Tigers this time of year in Eastern WA?

M Wolverton

Re: Tigers

Post by M Wolverton » March 10th, 2014, 6:10 pm

I've only found them in the spring and summer. Never looked at this time of year.

TravisK

Post by TravisK » March 12th, 2014, 7:53 am

Well I am going out this weekend and hope to photograph some of the first ones to emerge this year. Thanks for the PM as well.

Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina » March 18th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Travis,

I'm not familiar with your region but I find all of my tigers in the aquatic habitat with passive traps, adults and larvae. Not sure if that's what you're going for though.

TravisK

Post by TravisK » March 19th, 2014, 7:48 am

Passive traps are not really an option for a couple of reasons. 1. The locations where I would set them take too long to get to. So with my schedule I wouldn't be able to check them enough to keep the animals health and safety a priority. 2. If I were questioned I would have to say I was trying to target crayfish as anything else would be illegal from my interpretation of the law.

I am mostly trying to find some on there way to, at, or coming from breeding ponds to observe and photograph. I would love to get an opportunity to just sit and watch them for a few hours and see how they interact with their environment. Myself and a fellow FHFer went to an area last weekend with a documented breeding site for tigers but you have to hike or bike in a few miles to get to the site. Less than 2 mins into it the chain on my mtn bike breaks and of coarse I didn't have a spare. We didn't have enough time to hike to the site either so we putted around some of the closer water bodies and only heard a tree frog. Long story short... I was pissed that my chain broke. :x