Some good news from AZ...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joshua Jones

Some good news from AZ...

Post by Joshua Jones »

As some of you know, I recently moved from the Sonoran desert to Northern Michigan. Being above the 45th parallel has it's advantages, but it also means six or seven months of winter. Needless to say, I've been feeling kind of bummed at not being able to do any herping for the past 5 months. Today, though, I got some news from my brother, Ben Jones, that made me smile. He's been checking some of my board lines in my absence, and found them all well-used, still well-hidden, and productive. Even better, he shared some photos with me of what he found at one of the sites that I designed with the specific intention of studying cover preferences of the three local crotalus spp. Here is an atrox he flipped in one of my crote traps.

atrox by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

atrox by crotalus_cerberus83, on Flickr

You gotta love it when a plan comes together. Flipping rattlesnakes in AZ is usually hit-or-miss (hiking and road-cruising are vastly more effective out there), but these lines are showing some very hopeful signs. I take comfort knowing that, even though I can't get out and find snakes out here, at least my previous hard work is helping the people that I trusted with my spots find some. :D