Royal Tree Snake (Gonyophis margaritata)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Royal Tree Snake (Gonyophis margaritata)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

So the other day, my friend Jinny was tired after a long hike up Gunung XYZ in Southern Sarawak (location withheld) and sat down on this log for a little rest. It wasn't long before she discovered that a beautiful reptile was sharing her bench. As a true nature lover, Jinny then proceeded to photograph the animal. Little did she know that her benchmate was the Holy Grail of Borneo Herping, and looked rather puzzled when I, upon her showing me the photos for identification, collapsed in a screaming, slobbering heap after unsuccessfully trying to commit seppuku with my snake hook. WHY DO ONLY THE CIVILIANS GET TO SEE THE MAGIC STUFF???? <sob>

And last year I met two Singaporean kids who showed me a photo of the same species that had just fallen from a tree into the waterfall pool at Kubah NP, right next to where they were swimming ... and they had no idea what they were looking at. I'm telling you, if God has a sense of humor, it's a mighty sick one. Here's a pic of the one in Kubah climbing out of the pool....
Dr. Dark

Re: Royal Tree Snake (Gonyophis margaritata)

Post by Dr. Dark »

What a spectacular snake! Patience and persistence Hans...you'll find one!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

That snake is gorgeous, I remember seeing it in one of the fieldguides I was looking at while in Borneo and being awestruck. Interestingly enough I just looked at the pocket field guide I do have and it doesn't have this species, must be so uncommon they decided not to include it in the pocket version.

Just a matter of time until you find one Hans and then it will be the rest of us sobbing in jealousy!
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

Oh man, that is indeed the holy grail of Bornean snakes. So may times I day-dreamed about how it would be to find it, but I never did. Amazing. And indeed it's sick that it is found by those who are not able to value it.
Kevin Messenger

Post by Kevin Messenger »

oh man!!! very cool. Seen pics and just seems like one of the most crazy colorful snakes out there
ClosetHerper

Post by ClosetHerper »

If I were you I would find out where that log is and spend some time sitting! What a stunningly beautiful snake.

On our recent trip to Australia, I kept getting glimpses of different elapids but never really got to look at or photograph one. I really wanted to see a tiger snake and it sounded like seeing one on Tasmania would not be too tough. Well, I struck out, but on a bike ride that my wife and I took, I got ahead of her and behind me, she found a large one stretched across the path. She went around it yelling for me and trying to catch up but did no avail. One kilometer or two up the path, I was waiting for her and she gave me the news:(

Good luck on your quest.
Azemiops

Post by Azemiops »

Sweet holy Jesus! I think I'm going to give up herping so I can start finding species like this
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

:shock:
chrish

Post by chrish »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:Little did she know that her benchmate was the Holy Grail of Borneo Herping
Wow. That's a screamer! And it just sat there?

Knowing my luck, if I ever found one it would just be finishing swallowing a Lanthonotus. :cry:
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Holy cow, it's not too often someone posts a snake species I'd never heard of, and much less often one that's large and so dang colorful! that is amazing. I have a new addition to my bucket/life list
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Wow. That's a screamer! And it just sat there?
Not only that, Jinny hadn't seen it at all when she sat down. The Snake did indeed just sit there until Jinny moved her hand to the right and touched it!
Knowing my luck, if I ever found one it would just be finishing swallowing a Lanthonotus. :cry:
LOL!
TerrencexYK11

Post by TerrencexYK11 »

Definitely the most beautiful snake species of Borneo! Would love to see one in the wild. Nice find!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I remember this posting back in March and that snake. I love it when someone posts a species I have never seen before. I found this cool pic online....

Come on Hans, find one already and share some pics!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Yessuh. Soon as I'm done editing yesterday's shots of our first adult and live King Cobra. Stand by for a truly formidable experience!
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

That is a beautiful snake.

This is why citizen science is important, and why I think we should do a better job of promoting it. Millions of people doing their thing all over the world will sometimes encounter things that hundreds of experts trying their hardest will never see. Or, at the very least, will find them in places that the experts never had the time or insight to look.