Early April in NorCal

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tspuckler

Early April in NorCal

Post by tspuckler »

Although it has been unseasonably warm and dry, the weather for my trip was mainly cool and rainy. I started things off by herping the Santa Cruz Mountains.

There were many flowers in bloom, such as this Western Hound's Tongue, which is named for its leaves, that are about the same size and shape as a dog's tongue.

Fence Lizards were the most commonly seen reptile on the trip.

The cool, damp conditions proved to be favorable to finding Pacific Ringneck Snakes.

A Coast Garter Snake with a bit of "extra red" color.

The variability of colors and patterns of Western Fence Lizards provides the opportunity to seen some rather attractive versions of this normally brown reptile. This one was a bit on the yellow side.

You know what else likes cool, damp conditions? Answer: Jerusalem Crickets

A pond in the mountains had a fair number of Santa Cruz Garter Snakes around its edges. Here's one of them.

Western Skinks were pretty easy to find and catch.

Cool Caterpillar.

Southern Alligator Lizard.

Of course there were amphibians to be seen as well, the most common were Slender Salamanders.

Darkling Beetle.

California Toads were seen in better numbers than past visits.

The following day I decided to head up to this mountain.

Southern Alligator Lizards can be found there on a reliable basis.

What was remarkable to me was the Ensatinas. As many as a dozen could be seen on a relatively short hike.

California Newts were a bit harder to come by in this location though - here's one of them from the area.

I found my first False Tarantula last year and it was cool to come across one again this year.

As you might imagine, Fence Lizards were around as well, though not seen in the numbers seen during warmer, drier conditions.

This Pacific Gopher Snake was the longest snake found on the trip.

Purple Nightshade (Blue Witch).

I have yet to see any wild snakes this year in my home state of Ohio, so Ringnecks were welcome encounters.

Another Pacific Ringneck Snake photo.

Close-up of a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake.

Blue flowers.

It's been a few years since I've seen a Sharptail Snake, so this one really added some extra enjoyment to the mountain hike.

Sierran Treefrogs were the most frequently seen anuran on the trip. The colder examples tended to be dark brown. Those found when the weather warmed up were usually green.

California toad.

Black Widow Spider.

One morning on a day with particularly fine weather, I met up with Los Gatos Girl Scout Troop 61411 to do some herping. There were some nice finds and discussion of those finds at a place where former racehorses are rehabilitated and rehomed.

One of the several Slender Salamanders that were found on that day.

Looking at a Slender Salamander and discussing the differences between salamanders and lizards.

Checking out the rough scales of a Western Fence Lizard...

...and its blue belly coloration.

Portrait of a Western Fence Lizard.

Getting "up close and personal" with a Pacific Ringneck Snake.

Pacific Ringneck Snakes have a satiny feel to them.

Portrait of a Pacific Ringneck Snake.

Like the Western Fence Lizard, these reptiles have a brightly colored underside - though it is orange rather than blue.

Pacific Ringneck Snakes are gentle and mild mannered.

A somewhat fearsome-looking Southern Alligator Lizard.

Portrait of a Southern Alligator Lizard.

It was an awesome day to be out in nature discovering cool things.

On a cold, rainy day with temperatures in the mid-forties I headed north to Mendocino County to visit a State Park. I've always thought that this place has a "prehistoric" feel to it, with its giant Coastal Redwoods.

Adding to the "giant" theme are huge Banana Slugs.

And Giant Trillium.

And a wall of ferns lining a hiking trail...

...that runs along this fast-moving creek.

And these primitive plants only add to the effect that this is a land "lost in time."

But do giants really live here? As a matter of fact they do, in the form of the first "lifer" of the year for me - a Coastal Giant Salamander.

Pacific Clubtail Dragonfly.

Ensatina.

Orange-edged bracket fungus.

Rough-skinned Newt.

A metal fish jumping over a log.

Slender Salamander.

Double millipede happiness.

Things were clearing up a bit the following day, to I headed up to the Bay Area to herp Marin County.

Brown Garden Snail.

Coast Garter Snakes are quite common here. This is one with a bit of extra red.

Aquatic intergrade Garter Snakes were less often seen.

Douglas Iris was in bloom at many of the locations I visited.

A "standard looking" Coast Garter Snake.

Another photo of the same snake.

A bird that also lives in my home state - a Song Sparrow.

Slender Salamanders can be found here as well.

Cinnamon Teal.

On a rainy day in the middle of the week I decided to try my luck again in the Santa Cruz Mountains. This time around I teamed up with Zach and Cynthia. We found this mild-tempered Pacific Gopher Snake.

The snake in its habitat.

I didn't see an Arboreal Salamander during last year's visit, so this one was a welcome sight.

We found a few of Pacific Rattlesnakes that all looked like thet were born last year.

The Fence Lizards were a bit on the cool side, so they could be easily posed for photographs.

Coast Garter Snake.

Carrion Beetle larva.

Pacific Ringneck Snake. Unfortunately, we had to cut our outing a bit short, due to the weather.

Things were looking much better on the following day, so I decided to drive up the coast.

Punk rock caterpillar.

Baby Coast Garter Snakes are mostly brown when they are young.

But in some parts of their range they develop orange stripes as they age.

Everybody loves Earwigs. I think that this is a European variety.

Sierran Treefrog.

A Western Fence Lizard basking on the remains of a shipwreck.

Santa Cruz Garter

A young Elephant Seal with a tail tag.

My favorite find of the trip was this Western Pond Turtle.

Another photo of the same reptile.

San Francisco Alligator Lizard.

I went on a few outings with Sarah and Connie and we had a good time exploring the Golden State. We herped spots that looked like this.

Connie surveying the scene, looking for prime reptile habitat.

Heading down a hillside with snake hooks in hand.

A Southern Alligator that looked to have fully recovered from a severe injury.

We were glad to see that other people like snakes too.

We didn't mistake this Pacific Gopher Snake for a rattlesnake.

Pacific Ringneck Snake.

Sierran Treefrogs were the favorite things for the girls to catch beacuse "they are so cute." Here are a few of our treefrog finds.

Sarah with a Western Fence Lizard.

Big Water Beetle.

Connie with a Coast Garter Snake.

Before you knew it, our time was up. I guess all good things come to an end, but it sure was fun spending a week in California!
PNWHerper

Re: Early April in NorCal

Post by PNWHerper »

Great work, and great documentation!

Love the photos, the giant salamander looks pretty stunning. The Pacific gopher snake with the red eye looks pretty neet too. :thumb: Love all of the variety you put in, including inverts, herps, landscapes and happy young field herpers.

Thanks for doing the good work! :beer:
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Gorgeous colors and lighting in your photos. The hills are so beautiful this time of year. What makes that one aquatic garter an intergrade?

John
Brian Eagar

Post by Brian Eagar »

Very nice post.
I envy so much those coast garters you found and the santa cruz garter.
Me and my family drove out to the same general area for spring break at the end of March and between the constant rain showers and no time to do any herping I only turned up two coast garters and they were one of my primary targets. Then despite those snakes being from areas over 100 miles apart they were both lacking almost any red. What are the chances???
I did find lots of ringnecks and some gophers, racers and rubber boas thanks to a kind California guy though and I was very happy about that. Luckily that morning it wasn't raining.
It probably doesn't help that the only time I actually had time to herp any garter habitat specifically was when it was pooring rain.

Thanks for the post. It almost makes me want to do the 1700 mile round trip again this spring. Almost.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Very nice post! I spent a year and a half in NorCal and do not think I saw the diversity of herps that you managed to see in a week. I especially like the ringnecks and those red garters. Cali is beautiful this time of year. Everything is so lush and green. You are fortunate to have been able to visit.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Great post and great photos. Lovely Pseudacris and great snap shot of the local diversity. Thanks for posting.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Outstanding post! Great documentation and variety and it looks like you and the girls had a great time. Couldn't ask for anything more than that.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Excellent trip, Tim! Glad we were able to meet up, as always!