Salamandering with the kids

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pjfishpa

Salamandering with the kids

Post by pjfishpa » April 8th, 2014, 12:49 pm

I am having no luck with the Tigers here close to home. Crazy late spring for sure! I suspect they are either in pools now or headed back underground. Too many fish to be caught right now -- no time for herping LOL! Between catching walleye's, kids hockey, and work I have been burning the candle at both ends! Had a good time out salamandering with the kids over spring break though. The Family that Herps together ... LOL!

We left the frozen North last week and headed down to Kentucky to do some rappelling and rock climbing in Red River Gorge for the weekend. From there we headed down to Great Smoky Mtn NP from for a few days to relax at a cabin.

On the drive down we stopped outside of Dayton to try our luck with spotted salamanders. We missed the big migration by a rainstorm but there were still plenty of stragglers coming to the pools.

It was so nice to hear frogs again! Deafening as it was, we were thrilled to finally be in some springtime atmosphere. It took some looking but when we found a part of the pool they were going into we had to watch our step for sure. Here are some pics from that night.

Our time in Smoky Mountain NP was bluebird skies and sunshine for 3 days. Although not ideal for herping, after this long winter we weren't complaining a bit. Did find a few pic worthy ones as well as a slew of redbacks, two-lined, and dusky's. Here are a few highlights.

A. maculatum

A. opacum

And no trip down there would be complete without at least one P. jordani

Getting up into the 50's now here at home. Hope to get on some spotted and blanding's turtles soon.
Thanks for looking and happy herping this spring everyone!

jason folt

Re: Salamandering with the kids

Post by jason folt » April 8th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Super cool. The smokies rock. I am little bit north of you but have only seen male tigers in pools so far, no females, spermatophores or egg masses yet.

I hear ya on the turtles. My favorite quarry here up north. If I could bottle up april/may conditions and vegetation and just look for turtles constantly I would be a very happy man.

Jason