Highest species count?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

monklet

Highest species count?

Post by monklet »

Who's got the highest species (subs don't count) count in DB for CA? ...not me that's for sure. :oops: It would be fun to see some personal numbers from the real herpers out there. It'd also be fun to seen what's left for those who have almost everything. County bests would be fun too.

...or have we done this here before and I missed it?

Owen

Re: Highest species count?

Post by Owen »

Not sure how to do it, but I would guess Jonathan Hakim... seems that he's been everywhere.

monklet

Post by monklet »

Don knows :) ...it would probably look something like this but of course I don't know the DB schema/table/field names, so just a good guess.

SELECT U.name, COUNT(DISTINCT R.species_id) AS count_species FROM users AS U JOIN records AS R ON U.id = R.user_id GROUP BY U.id ORDER BY count_species DESC, U.name ASC;

Owen

Post by Owen »

If you went by CA members with the most species (from overall scorecard):

Hubbs, 246
Flaxington, 244
Hakim, 192
Hinds, 181

Of course, that's all of NA and vouchered only.

monklet

Post by monklet »

Cool! Thx Owen :thumb:

Hubbs, Will, what full species DON'T you guys have?

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Dang, Hubbs is beating me. :cry:
Well, if the data base was updated and you could log the new species, my species count would go much higher. Anneilla alexanderae, A. campi, A. grinnelli, A. stebbinsi, Aneides iecanus, Batrachoseps altasierrae, and a few others. :beer:

Brad, we are talking about California species missing, the answer for me is zero. However, I am missing a couple subspecies. According to my research there 178 species in total. The total number varies a bit by who is creating the list and what they consider a species and number/variety of introduced species they add to their list.

For some species that I photographed, that were either extirpated or hard to find in California, I had to leave the state (e.g., Lowland Leopard Frog, Arizona Toad, Sonoran Desert Toad, Mud Turtle) and, at times, even leave the country (Leatherback, Loggerhead, Yellow-bellied Sea Snake).

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

The only reason I'm beating Will is because i was taking pics of herps before he was born...and i entered all those in the database. Plus, I have entries from all over the U.S. I am sure he is ahead of me on CA species, as are a lot of other people, because I don't take special time to search out some stupid frog or salamander ( not yet, anyway). I don't even have a Long-tailed brush lizard or Baja Brush lizard to my credit...or even a Green rat in AZ...If I paid as much attention to the species I need as I do to looking for what i really want to see I would have 300 species. :lol: BTW, there are many who don't think those new Anniela are really species...

The real contest is to see who can enter the most pond turtles...I'm winning... :thumb:

monklet

Post by monklet »

Impressive stuff ... :beer:

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Those new species of Anniella are not distinguishable by the naked eye. After photographing them all, I still don’t see any distinct differences. All species appear to vary a little from region to region. In addition, the various slender salamanders can be monotonous.

There are some using this forum that have numbers well above Hubbs or mine, they just havent got around to adding them to the data base yet.

Owen

Post by Owen »

Fieldnotes wrote: Brad, we are talking about California species missing, the answer for me is zero. However, I am missing a couple subspecies. According to my research there 178 species in total. The total number varies a bit by who is creating the list and what they consider a species and number/variety of introduced species they add to their list.
You need a Trinity Alps Giant Salamander, but they were probably killed off by the silt and debris from logging and mining ;)

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Hahaha Owen, are referring to the fictitious mystery salamander that looks like a Hellbender? There are many 'would be', 'could be' species that need finding. They will have to wait a few more years before I get around to putting effort into finding them. I still need a few actual, hard-to-find California beasts.

Here is a picture of the only true Giant Salamander inhabiting Trinity Alps:

While on the subject of mythical creatures, I also need a picture of Bigfoot for my scrap book. My friend had Bigfoot attack his tent while we were in the Cascades, but it was gone by the time I rushed out of my tent to see what all the yelling was about. He wrote all about it and had the story confirmed by a Bigfoot website. He is all happy, cause now he gets a clothing patch that reads "I saw Bigfoot" or somthing like that... yeah-yeah-yeah...well that weekend i saw a Pigmy Horned Lizard, which beats finding a Bigfoot any day :thumb:

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Adding species counts, because of splits, is week sauce.. :lol:

Life Listers almost always support species splits, weather they are valid, support or otherwise..

If its a species split it gets a thumbs UP from them.. :lol: :roll: :crazyeyes:

Silly Life Listers.. jk

Fundad

Owen

Post by Owen »

Not to get too far away from the subject, but there are still unknowns out there. I found a huge, medium brown centipede around Borrego that was as long as my size 13 boot and with a body an inch wide. Being as freak Scolopendra polymorpha are around 8", that's still about 3" short of what I saw. I still have no idea what it was and it was far larger and was darker colored than any S. heros that I've seen in AZ.

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I saw a Dragon fly once...and I even saw a House fly...I knew Dragons were supposed to fly, but not houses...

monklet

Post by monklet »

For snake's sake, can't we keep this serious?

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Life lister, what's that? I'm just an all-around herper for the state I live in.

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

monklet wrote:For snake's sake, can't we keep this serious?
Sorry...(sniff) :cry: ...I was in a good mood... :lol:

monklet

Post by monklet »

Nothin's worse than spoiling a good mood, have at it :thumb:

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Life lister, what's that? I'm just an all-around herper for the state I live in.
You re a great herper Will, I was just teasing you..

Fundad

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I find it unlikely that anyone has Fieldnotes beat on the California species count. He's certainly got dozens and dozens more than I do, and I'm pretty sure that I have nothing that he doesn't have.

I have nothing at all from Central California/Sierras north of Kern other than the coastal stuff (half the slenders and a lot of other stuff is up there), and I'm missing a lot more than you would think from southern California. I did pretty good from 2008-2010 and a little in 2012, otherwise I haven't herped Califronia nearly as much as you would think.

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I STILL think about your Torrent Sally post, Jonathan...That was a remarkably concerted effort, and one of the most informative post I've seen... and now I know (at least) what a Torrent Sally is, and how to try for one, should I ever be in their habitat... one of these days... ;) jim

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

To actually answer Monklet's original question, I counted it up and I think I have 115 herp species entered in the database for California. 19 salamanders, 15 frogs, 36 lizards, 35 snakes, and 10 turtles. That's ignoring any recent/disputed splits.

Fieldnotes definitely has me beat, like I said. But I did notice I do have him in one area...immigrant turtles! No one else has tracked down not only sliders, but cooters, snappers, 2 softshell species, and 2 map turtle species! Not to mention Green Sea Turtles in the canal...

I do have the best single year: 91 California species in the first 8 months of 2010 (I left for Thailand at the end of August, when most the good herping was over anyway).