April Spottie success

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pjfishpa

April Spottie success

Post by pjfishpa » May 2nd, 2014, 11:05 am

In between kids hockey, walleye fishing, and turkey hunting I have been able to get out a few times to look for one of my favorite local herps ... C. guttata. The narrow window of time they are up and active together with their specific habitat requirements makes them a real challenge to find and photograph around me. Fortunately the last half of April brought us those 50 and 60 degree sunny days and I was able to connect with 7 of them. 3 on the first outing, 2 the second, and 2 this last time out. Thought I's share some pics.

Habitat shot

In situ

another

macro shot

This guy was eyeing me up

One on the move

Gorgeous creatures for sure. Now, if my luck can only hold out a little longer I may get some Blanding's pics before the mosquito's get out in force.

justinm

Re: April Spottie success

Post by justinm » May 6th, 2014, 7:23 am

Thank you for sharing this post! Have you read David Carroll's book the "year of the turtle"? If not I think you'll really enjoy it. The guy has the most romantic view of nature that I've ever read, and this book on Spotted Turtles is a gem.

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven » May 6th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Great pics of the spotties. Hope I can see some when I visit MI and WS next two weeks. But I'll be with relatives most of the time.

I read, "The Year of the Turtle." Best turtle story book I ever read. It's a must read for turtle-lovers.

Terry

JoeDANG

Post by JoeDANG » May 8th, 2014, 5:59 am

Great post thanks for the info. I'm still looking for one of these in Indiana.

pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa » May 8th, 2014, 5:28 pm

justinm wrote:Thank you for sharing this post! Have you read David Carroll's book the "year of the turtle"? If not I think you'll really enjoy it. The guy has the most romantic view of nature that I've ever read, and this book on Spotted Turtles is a gem.
Just looked it up on Amazon. Can't believe I have not seen it before. Thanks for the reference, will pick it up. Looks similar to Joe Hutto's stuff (another naturalist). I recommend "Illumination in the Flatwoods" to a lot of people. About wild turkey. Really helped me understand those crazy birds better. Will give this Carroll book a look soon. Thanks again.

pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa » May 8th, 2014, 5:40 pm

A few more. Ended up finding 6 in a small area the other day. Mid-morning on a perfect cool 50 degree day with off and on sun.

I do like this circular polarizer filter for sure! Cuts right through the surface of the water.

Some "pic-worthy" in situ shots

Getting warmer now with rain too, time to start mixing it up and target some other herps. Thanks for looking!

jason folt

Post by jason folt » May 9th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Really cool! I had seen spotties at a couple toledo area spots years back, but never in numbers like that. I have targeted them myself heavily the past month here in MI, but have missed much of the "good" weather. Plenty in one spot, but skunked at a small population I discovered a couple years ago, and skunked in the metroDetroit area - no suprise there though. My favorite springtime pass time!

J

TurtleTim

Post by TurtleTim » May 15th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Great shots! I've only seen a single spottie in the Great Lakes region...an old male that was as smooth as polished stone. Found many on the East coast, though.

Looks like you have a good place for them with all of the younger ones you've found. Very cool. :D