Not a bad day at all.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Don Becker

Not a bad day at all.

Post by Don Becker » May 11th, 2014, 9:39 am

Please pardon the cell phone pics, I wasn't carrying a real camera...

I ran out yesterday morning to check some turtle traps. While out, I ended up near some tin I had laid out. I had yet to see a Fox Snake this year, and was hoping to find out. The second piece of tin turn up this fat little guy next to an empty mouse nest. I don't know why the nest was empty... maybe the nice went out to shop for Mother's Day presents.

On my way back to my car, I stopped to talk to a group that was doing some bird banding. While talking with them, I saw some people looking down, and pointing at something in the pond. I went down to see what it was, and as I neared, I heard them say it was a snake. There are a lot of water snakes in the pond, so I assumed that's what it was. I was wrong. Instead I found this guy swimming in the pond.

I went back home, did some yard work, and in the evening, I decided to go look for agates. On my way to the rock hunting site, I passed some tin that had blown in with a storm last year. I figured "What the hell, I'm having a good day", so I stopped and flipped the tin to find these two snakes.

I also found a cool dark agate at my rock site, but I'm not good at photographing them yet, so I don't have a picture to share.

--Don

Gary2sons

Re: Not a bad day at all.

Post by Gary2sons » May 11th, 2014, 8:01 pm

That is a great day! :thumb:

Nice looking bulls too!

Interesting about the hognose in the water. One of my son's took my 7 year old grandson herping yesterday and my grandson spotted a snake in the water of an abandoned rock quarry with a pointed nose. Turned out to be a hognose! Told him that was his best find ever so far! We sometimes go a year without seeing even one.

Maybe at this time of the year with all the toads breeding that is the place to look. Has to be more than just a coincident they both were found like that.

Gary

Don Becker

Post by Don Becker » May 12th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Gary2sons wrote:Maybe at this time of the year with all the toads breeding that is the place to look. Has to be more than just a coincident they both were found like that.
That's exactly what I told the people who had spotted it.

John Williams

Post by John Williams » May 12th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Great day. I think those Pituophis are the most attractive of any of the races/species.