Philly in July

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Philly in July

Post by Zach_Lim »

I will be in Philadelphia from July 23-28 to attend This Is Hardcore 2014 (hardcore/punk/metal fest).

I will have at least one day free to sight see and potentially herp.

Is July a decent time to herp in Philly?

Is getting around town to any potential wilderness without a car possible?

Thank you in advance,

Zach Lim
The Jake-Man

Re: Philly in July

Post by The Jake-Man »

Hi Zach, sorry that I can't answer all of your questions, but I live a couple counties West, so I'm not at all familiar with herping the Philadelphia area.

Herping in SE Pennsylvania in july will be good, but not as good as it is right now. You will probably be able to flip a handful of snakes and one or two species of salamanders in suburban wooded areas that time of year. Permanent water bodies will hold aquatic turtles and a couple species of frogs, even in the inner city. Google earth will be your best friend. I would find the closest park you can that has a pond or some woods, and head out there. Garter snakes, painted turtles, red-backed salamanders, and snappers can tolerate incredible levels of pollution, so don't overlook disturbed areas, as long as they have some wild habitat.

Good luck, and I hope someone a bit more experienced in that area comments or at least sends you a pm.
Andy Wolf

Post by Andy Wolf »

John Heinz NWR is worth a look. Without a car, that's the only place I can think of that's worthwhile.
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Bumping this thread for Zack -

He is a great herper and well respected member over here in the Cali forum and I think it would be more ideal if HE IS ABLE TO GET OUT OF THE CITY and hitch a ride with someone to the pines that weekend if anyone is going out. You can see he is a hardcore music nut also, and I know there are several members on this forum that are the same and would get along with this kid like peanut butter and jelly..................

Marc
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I'm nowhere near Philly, but if you ever make your way to Boston, weather permitting, I'd be happy to show you are few spots.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Thank you all for the replies!

Sorry I have not been able to check back on this thread- been quite busy with tour, new job, etc.

Anyhow, leaving for Philly soon.

Will dedicate some time at John Heinz in hopes for some garter and Nerodia action!

Any last minute tips anyone can spare? A ditch on the side of the road for snakes? Hsha!

Thanks guys,

Zach