Herper and a fan of Heavy Metal Music? Check it....

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Scott Waters
Site Admin

Herper and a fan of Heavy Metal Music? Check it....

Post by Scott Waters »

The newest show on the Herp Nation Radio Network......well, that's one I've wanted to do for some time now.....the Heavy Metal Herper. Why? The number of herpers (field and keepers) who are metal fans is enormous, and I find that to be more than a coincidence. I think we have a lot in common, and explain why in the first episode.

Listen now, offer some feedback, and tell me what you want to hear. *Note: we play bands that are NOT major label bands, mostly due to not wanting to deal with the pain in the ass that are major labels. :) Plus, there are MANY great bands out there busting their butts for you and I day and night who are not signed to a big label. We feel they deserve credit and exposure. Very "Herp Nation" way of doing things......we fight for the little guy! Enjoy.

Episode #1 link....
http://www.herpnation.com/audio/hmh1-051614/

beemaster

Re: Herper and a fan of Heavy Metal Music? Check it....

Post by beemaster »

I'm more into the extreme end of metal, but this is an interesting concept and I hope it works out well for you. Good luck! :)
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

beemaster wrote:I'm more into the extreme end of metal, but this is an interesting concept and I hope it works out well for you. Good luck! :)
And I'm more into the progressive end of metal, but I agree with your comment.
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

Mark Brown wrote:
beemaster wrote:I'm more into the extreme end of metal, but this is an interesting concept and I hope it works out well for you. Good luck! :)
There's actually a fair degree of overlap (Voivod, Watchtower, Athiest, Cynic, Blind Illusion, Toxik, later Death, mid-90's Pestilence, etc.). There's a lot of "paint-by-numbers, conform to the predetermined parameters of XTREME" bands out there, but the most interesting, by far, are those who approach a more extreme sound from a progressive and/or experimental perspective. In this regard, I strongly prefer bands like Immolation, Morbid Angel, and Gorguts to your more simplistic and standard acts like Obituary, Cancer, and Autopsy. Oddly enough, I'm totally fine with "ho-hum" when it comes to thrash/speed stuff; standard acts like Exodus, Razor, and Testament totally float my boat despite not really expanding any borders or experimenting much with their own sound.

It's always nice to take in some straight prog and power metal now and again, too. Fates Warning was one of the first metal I ever got into, and I've always enjoyed the occasional Watchtower, Queensryche, and Dream Theatre. I also LOVE 70's Rush, though it's debatable just how metal they were.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

beemaster wrote:
Mark Brown wrote:
There's actually a fair degree of overlap (Voivod, Watchtower, Athiest, Cynic, Blind Illusion, Toxik, later Death, mid-90's Pestilence, etc.). There's a lot of "paint-by-numbers, conform to the predetermined parameters of XTREME" bands out there, but the most interesting, by far, are those who approach a more extreme sound from a progressive and/or experimental perspective. In this regard, I strongly prefer bands like Immolation, Morbid Angel, and Gorguts to your more simplistic and standard acts like Obituary, Cancer, and Autopsy. Oddly enough, I'm totally fine with "ho-hum" when it comes to thrash/speed stuff; standard acts like Exodus, Razor, and Testament totally float my boat despite not really expanding any borders or experimenting much with their own sound.

It's always nice to take in some straight prog and power metal now and again, too. Fates Warning was one of the first metal I ever got into, and I've always enjoyed the occasional Watchtower, Queensryche, and Dream Theatre. I also LOVE 70's Rush, though it's debatable just how metal they were.

Never really did think of Rush as metal, either, or prog, for that matter. There are elements of both in their music but I've always just enjoyed them as hard rock.

My tastes in progressive metal lean more toward the prog than the metal, I guess. Opeth is probably the favorite, and I'm a huge fan of stuff like Meshuggah and other technical metal. I like later Fates Warning (the Ray Alder years - not a big John Arch fan) and for the same reason, I really like Redemption. I went through a big Dream Theater period about ten years ago, and still like them, but I guess I got a bit burned out on them. On the even more prog side, Porcupine Tree and my favorite band for decades, King Crimson. They're pretty far from metal, though.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

monklet wrote:developmentally retarded white males
What a crackup. You do realize that that's how 98% of the general population views people whose interest is reptiles, don't you? I love it when herpers disparage other peoples' interests or lifestyles.
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

Cool, a bunch of indignant adolescents (or developmentally retarded white males), frying in angst and anger, screaming their lungs out ...geez, what's up with all the drama? :lol: :roll:
I've got to say, that's one of the most ignorant comments I've seen in a while. I mean really, It's just music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. I'm used to hearing rude generalizations about rap music, but metal? Give me a break. Taste in music doesn't reflect anything about someone's personality, and certainly shouldn't invite criticism from others who are too narrow-minded to keep their misguided views to themselves.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Agreed, that was unfair. I sincerely apologize. But, why all the rage in so much of the heavy metal vocals and lyrics? Not my style of music regardless of sentiments, although I'm impressed by the extremely agile musicianship ...There's plenty of great stuff out there that rips, without promoting anger and hostility. I think we need more understanding and less affirmation and incitement of our base insecurities.
monklet

Post by monklet »

I've edited out the insensitive portion of my initial comment in respect for Scott's thread, and to Scott I do apologize, my characterization of Heavy Metal was flippant, insulting and unnecessary.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

I think you may be perceiving rage and anger based on a superficial assessment of the music and musicians, when the fact is that in the vast majority of metal music, neither the artist nor the music is angry. It's just a different style of music - loud and often extreme and aggressive, but if you take the time to delve into it and its progenitors, you'll find that it's no more angry than a lot of non-metal, or even mainstream music. Some folks just like that kind of music. I especially like to listen to metal when I'm driving.....it helps me deal with the frustration of traffic, and helps keep me from getting angry. I wasn't a big metal fan until I discovered, as you mentioned, that many of these artists are extremely accomplished musicians - especially the blending of progressive and metal.

Thanks for backtracking, too - it's a lot nicer and more productive to have a discussion. Maybe even enlightening.

Meshuggah could be percieved by some as being angry and aggressive, but talk about accomplished musicians. If you want to hear something that might just set you back, check out one of my very favorite video clips....an amazing session with Meshuggah's guitarist, Fredrick Thordendal and drummer Morgan Agren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UlFI2Byzv8#t=28
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

monklet wrote:Agreed, that was unfair. I sincerely apologize. But, why all the rage in so much of the heavy metal vocals and lyrics? Not my style of music regardless of sentiments, although I'm impressed by the extremely agile musicianship ...There's plenty of great stuff out there that rips, without promoting anger and hostility. I think we need more understanding and less affirmation and incitement of our base insecurities.
Monklet, there is rage and anger of some type in pretty much every genre of music. The degree to which that rage is expressed musically varies from genre to genre and from time period to time period. The rage and anger in metal is often embodied in a blatant, visceral way that can make it challenging to listen to, but it's important not to confuse expressing rage and anger with promoting rage and anger. I'm not a metalhead myself, but I bet many would argue that the cathartic release provided by playing and listening to metal reduces anger and hostility, if anything, and that if you strip down the music to its basic elements, you'll find that, like most other types of music, it's just an evolution of pre-existing forms and ideas, not something uniquely unsavory or dangerous.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Thanks guys, I just might learn something;) but too late in my day now to attempt to digest and respond. There's lots to chew on this bone.

Mark, I'll listen to that later when I have a better attention span. BTW, I've always had a respect for your rational discussion.

Disclaimer: I have not followed heavy metal, but that which I've been exposed to has impressed me as angry and hostile. I acknowledge that perception may well be a distortion based on limited exposure.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

Unquestionably, there has been an element of rage and aggression in some metal music - the knuckleheads burning churches and killing each other in Norway back in the '90s managed to taint the public's perception of black metal in those days to a large degree. But a lot of what you hear is just part of the act, too. On one of Opeth's live albums, frontman Mikael Akerfeldt introduces a song to the audience as "black metal nonsense".
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'm not a fan of Metal either, but wish nothing but success for this endeavor... :thumb:
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

Mark Brown wrote:Never really did think of Rush as metal, either, or prog, for that matter. There are elements of both in their music but I've always just enjoyed them as hard rock.

My tastes in progressive metal lean more toward the prog than the metal, I guess. Opeth is probably the favorite, and I'm a huge fan of stuff like Meshuggah and other technical metal. I like later Fates Warning (the Ray Alder years - not a big John Arch fan) and for the same reason, I really like Redemption. I went through a big Dream Theater period about ten years ago, and still like them, but I guess I got a bit burned out on them. On the even more prog side, Porcupine Tree and my favorite band for decades, King Crimson. They're pretty far from metal, though.
Opeth and Meshuggah are actually two more quality examples of bands who blend the extreme with the progressive. I'm not super into either, but have heard enough of each to know that Opeth has strong death metal leanings and Meshuggah came from a death/thrash base. As for Fates Warning, I'm more partial to the Arch era, but my favorite work of theirs is No Exit; Alder's first album with the band. Found it on tape in a second hand store when I was 14. It was one of the first metal albums I owned.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Pretty awesome guitar and drums ...kept looking for a bassist. Fred's a pretty busy guitarist! :shock: What's up with that little tab on the neck? Does that sympathetically play the high strings or something like that?

...and what's an EZ-Flow Elbow, and why does Bruce Willis have one?

Now, what's up with all the rage in this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLd2uAam0hI
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Rage is one of the most authentic reasons for human artistic expression. Perhaps also there is an ancient element of anthropoid display.

And rage on the behalf of others has beauty that is uniquely ours as a gift.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Kelly Mc wrote:Rage is one of the most authentic reasons for human artistic expression. Perhaps also there is an ancient element of anthropoid display.

And rage on the behalf of others has beauty that is uniquely ours as a gift.
Rage is such a foreign emotion to me that I can not relate... and frankly... think that cleaving metal rock and herping together is a disservice to herpers at large... further advancing the notion that people who like herps are an outlaw fringe.

I'd bet that most herpers (like myself) are just run of the mill 'classic rock' fans... but then again... this ain't a democracy... :lol: :lol: jim
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Check out the band Animals As Leaders. It is expansive, organically cinematic like a huge globe of water on fire.

I was attracted to the name and listened on urging of a friend. I like and love many musics, and songs. I am easily abraded by harsh mechanics so I never explored much metal. But I'm giving it another look
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

i'm trying to simplify my life, by un-plugging from many things... and haven't had my computer speakers plugged in for months. Silence is so under-rated... ;) :) jim
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

Kelly Mc wrote:Check out the band Animals As Leaders. It is expansive, organically cinematic like a huge globe of water on fire.

I was attracted to the name and listened on urging of a friend. I like and love many musics, and songs. I am easily abraded by harsh mechanics so I never explored much metal. But I'm giving it another look
I'm a huge Animals as Leaders fan! Tosin Abasi is one of the premier guitarists playing today - a true virtuoso.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

hellihooks wrote:I'd bet that most herpers (like myself) are just run of the mill 'classic rock' fans... but then again... this ain't a democracy... :lol: :lol: jim
I'm only 34, but I'm old enough that some of the stuff I used to hear on the modern rock station (Nirvana, Bush, Pearl Jam, etc.) has now made its way to the "classic rock" station. It's funny, because there is plenty of metal that is both more "classic" and more "rock" than Nirvana, but somehow all you ever hear is "Enter Sandman" and maybe one other track from Metallica's Black Album.

I scanned through the "road cruising music" thread, and the suggestions seemed to skew towards 70's and 80's rock with some metal, folk, country, and other genres mixed in. The thing is, it's not really a completely fair analysis, because classic rock is so pervasive on the radio that all you really need to do to be a "fan" is turn on a radio, pretty much anywhere in the country. To be a metal fan takes some amount of effort and dedication - you're not just going to find it randomly on the dial.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

beemaster wrote:Opeth has strong death metal leanings.
Opeth has moved pretty far away from their original metal influences and their last two or three records have been much more solidly in the progressive camp......almost no more death metal vocals, for example. Akerfeldt's alliance with Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree ten years or so ago really influenced his - and the band's - music. As much as I'm a diehard Steven Wilson/PT fan, and love the "new" Opeth, I actually liked the older stuff a bit better.
monklet wrote:Pretty awesome guitar and drums ...kept looking for a bassist. Fred's a pretty busy guitarist! :shock: What's up with that little tab on the neck? Does that sympathetically play the high strings or something like that?
That was just a little jam session with the two guys......check out a Meshuggah video for a look at Fredrick's day job.

I'm not a guitarist but I believe the tape is to mute the higher strings on his seven-string guitar and help produce that window-rattling chunkiness he's getting.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

cbernz wrote:
hellihooks wrote:I'd bet that most herpers (like myself) are just run of the mill 'classic rock' fans... but then again... this ain't a democracy... :lol: :lol: jim
I'm only 34, but I'm old enough that some of the stuff I used to hear on the modern rock station (Nirvana, Bush, Pearl Jam, etc.) has now made its way to the "classic rock" station. It's funny, because there is plenty of metal that is both more "classic" and more "rock" than Nirvana, but somehow all you ever hear is "Enter Sandman" and maybe one other track from Metallica's Black Album.

I scanned through the "road cruising music" thread, and the suggestions seemed to skew towards 70's and 80's rock with some metal, folk, country, and other genres mixed in. The thing is, it's not really a completely fair analysis, because classic rock is so pervasive on the radio that all you really need to do to be a "fan" is turn on a radio, pretty much anywhere in the country. To be a metal fan takes some amount of effort and dedication - you're not just going to find it randomly on the dial.
good points... music is very subjective and most folks like what they were into when they were young. I remember when 'satisfaction' by the Stones came out (and where I was 1st time I heard it, with the am radio I wasn't supposed to have... :lol: ) stones fan ever since. it's kinda funny that I'm mentioned in a 'So cal song' (Gold by John Stewart) and... don't even really care for the song that much... :lol: :lol: :lol: It was cool as shit, back in the day, when everybody I knew, knew it was me in the song... :lol: :lol: :lol: hadn't even thought about that since Hubbs brought it up last year,(Today at work...) and it sparked a very long stupid thread... lol

I still sing rock n roll in the shower... and that's good enough for me... :D jim
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Very interested in this!

I am heavily involved in the hardcore/punk scene, so this is very close to home.

Check out my band Scalped (we will be on tour a lot this summer/fall)- http://www.scalped415.bandcamp.com

As for metal, I am a huge fan of 80s thrash/crossover (English Dogs, Broken Bones, Kreator, Destruction, Vio-lence, etc), but do like some of the doomier stuff (Candlemass!!!)
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Jim......too bad you haven't listened to it, as I think your concerns about the perception of herpers was addressed quite well.

Re: interests. For those of you who want something ever heavier than the first show, stay tuned. Ep. 2 kicks it up a notch! And yes, as many types of metal as I can find will be on this show. As I said in Ep. 1, "genres" of metal doesn't mean anything to me. I respect where everyone is coming from on that, but to me I just know what I like.....and leave it at that. :) Also, Mark and the others who like it VERY heavy, check out my friend Brian Shield's podcast on Heavy Blog is Heavy. I edit his show for him, and will be running clips from his show in future shows. Here's a link for ya.... http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/?s=great+new+metal

I TOTALLY agree with Kelly.....well said.

Zach.....email me, lets talk!

Thanks to everyone who listened to it and shared an opinion based on what they heard. :)

Horns!
Scott
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Out of respect for Herp Nation, and all I've gained from it... I will plug my speakers back in, to listen to the show. And tell my 'Metal' friends to check it out as well.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Mark, just listened to Meshuggah's "Break those bones...". Can't understand the lyrics but sounds like a teenager having a tantrum cuz his mother asked him to clean up his room. :lol: To him I say, get over it. Seriously though, I can't help laughing when I see that ...like, what is he so pissed about? Maybe it's the Taliban (religious extremism), in which case I'd definitely buy the record.

I know I'll be the turd in the swimming pool here, but as for the notion that involvement with rageous/violent media, music, video games etc. diffuses tensions and offers some pacifying effect, that may well be the case with some personalities, while for others it may serve as affirmation and incitement for steaming inner hostilities. Fortunately relatively few such cases culminate in schools, movie theatres and shopping malls.

It seems that so many young males are addicted to their ear buds, almost as if those form a queer sort of pacifier which helps shut them off and desensitize them from the world around. I suspect that more often than not, the music is heavy metal and/or hardcore rap. As Kelly eloquently suggested, it's embedded in ancient DNA that young males tend to be highly aggressive, often frustrated (cuz only a few lucky guys get laid enough), and exhibit mannerisms which express those feelings, especially when safely in company of their clique. It should be no surprise that the music they choose often reflects this. But overt indications of anger and hostility, most apparent as icons on vehicles and tee-shirts, appear ever more expressive of violent inclinations, as in a positive feedback spiral whereby the rage seeks expression and the expression ($$$) seeks and appeases the rage. Sure, it is a chicken and egg conundrum and assessing culpability is futile, but this trend really does concern me.

I'd really like to see more interest in positive solutions, and since music is so influential on development, it's a shame young people as a whole aren't more interested in listening to the more imaginative and less cynical voices out there, or to put it another way, those who sing of hope and aspirations rather than simply complain reactively, not that there aren't some serious issues to complain about.

I do recognize that I'm painting with a very broad brush and am to some degree stereotyping, but at the same time keep in mind that we're discussing an overall trend in a large group and that your personal experience may vary ;-) No doubt there are many very positive and proactive guys out there who grew up on, or just love metal/rap, guys who are much more accomplished and who contribute more to the common good than I. I also know that denouncing any particular form of expression, aside from actual violence, is to tread a very slippery and dangerous slope, and that would not be my intent. The best we can do is become more aware of that which compels us and how that shapes the world we live in. Only with knowledge do we have true choice.

Sorry, pointless rant ...nevermind :oops:
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

LOL......monklet, what is the point of this continual harassment for music (and topic) you clearly do not care for? You made your point 10 replies ago, we get it, you don't care for metal. Done. Please stop raining on the parade. This podcast is clearly not for you.

Jim, you too may not care for what you hear. If so, that's cool. :)

scott
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Scott-

Just listened to the web-isode.

Loved it- I love how it was set up- interview, tunes, and information about the bands- flawless.

You may find the cover of our demo tape amusing:

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'm leaving for a herping/fishing trip to Yuma AZ...so won't have a chance to listen to the show, till I get back. And while I'm in Monklet's camp, regarding the sociological impacts of heavy metal/punk...I do respect anybody who has the balls to get up on stage to perform... whether it be happy-go-lucky (crap :lol: ) or biting social commentary. I certainly don't speak for FHF, or Nafha for that matter... but this video by Owen pretty much sums up 'where I'm at' (as an old fuddy-dud with lo-T) and what I think of, when I think 'Ca Nafha/music'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7nd6b1R ... ilpage#t=0
And to be clear... some of my best friends are punks... :lol: :lol: :lol:
jim
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

Kelly Mc wrote:Check out the band Animals As Leaders. It is expansive, organically cinematic like a huge globe of water on fire.

My best friend loves those guys. They're a lot like a lighter version of Blotted Science.
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

Many Metal Artists are keepers/herpers. a list of famous ones would be cool. SLASH is a herper from what I hear. Pantera guys were known to keep hots in TX
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

Slayer!
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

I know of a couple of well known metal musicians who are deep into the herpetocultural side of things, anyway.

Kerry King, founding member of Slayer, is a well-known breeder of Diamond pythons and various carpet morphs on the West Coast. Derek Roddy, current drummer for the bands Menace and Serpents Rise (and former drummer for Nile, Blotted Science, Hate Eternal, and many more), is also a well-known breeder of Aspidites (especially A. melanocephalus), Antaresia, and Morelia on the East Coast.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

More on the hardcore/punk side, Henry Rollins is an avid snake guy who hosted a show on National Geographic where he interviewed musicians that dabbled in the world of herps. He has a CalKing tattoo haha!

Beermaster- I feel like we would get along just fine...NILE rules!
mfb

Post by mfb »

Fascinating to see a cassette tape - takes me back to the 80s and 90s. Is there a reason to make a demo on a cassette now rather than cd?
Zach_Lim wrote:Scott-

Just listened to the web-isode.

Loved it- I love how it was set up- interview, tunes, and information about the bands- flawless.

You may find the cover of our demo tape amusing:

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

mfb wrote:Fascinating to see a cassette tape - takes me back to the 80s and 90s. Is there a reason to make a demo on a cassette now rather than cd?
Within the DIY punk/hardcore scene, tapes and vinyl are the preferred way of putting out music.

Many bands, mine included, are heavily influenced by 80s and 90s artists, so it just makes sense!

Plus, they are inexpensive haha!
John Mckee

Post by John Mckee »

Awesome idea Scott...I just do instrumental stuff in the old vein of Shrapnel artists...Have an upcoming EP that will feature Atma Anur on drums. Just waiting for Tommy Lockett to finish bass tracks. Make sure you get a copy after we're done mixing. In the meantime...some shred.
Some of my stuff from my ep in the early stages.
http://youtu.be/wn3EaNtSej0

and an added bonus...nobody screaming ;)
JoshO

Post by JoshO »

I like that Scalped demo way more than Yadokai. When does the 7" come out? Did Tony ever play in Yadokai? I cant ever seem to get enough Dissed and Dismissed.