Frog ID Assist Please . . .

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Blackfeet

Frog ID Assist Please . . .

Post by Blackfeet »

I am almost afraid to post this, but I am going to have to take a chance this is not some protected species. My daughter "collected" it while taking a shower at a summer camp this past weekend up in the San Jacinto Mountains. It was sharing her shower. So she brought it home.

I have been purusing the internet the past hour trying to figure out just what kind it is, as I know there are some protected species up there, and if this is one, I am fully prepared to return it to the same location it was picked up from. I would appreciate any help in ID'ing it. I know the pics are crappy, I used my BlackBerry, which has seen better days.

AND, for the record, my daughter has been instructed against arbitrarily "collecting" any wild species just because it is cute.
Brian Hubbs

Re: Frog ID Assist Please . . .

Post by Brian Hubbs »

THAT is a Pacific Tree Frog, now called a Baja Chorus Frog by some...although I think the change in names and split of the species is nonsense, gibberish and balderdash. A Tree Frog is a Tree Frog...not protected, very common...no worries...

Was this helpful to you?
Yes
No

I'm more confused
Blackfeet

Re: Frog ID Assist Please . . .

Post by Blackfeet »

Brian Hubbs wrote:THAT is a Pacific Tree Frog, now called a Baja Chorus Frog by some...although I think the change in names and split of the species is nonsense, gibberish and balderdash. A Tree Frog is a Tree Frog...not protected, very common...no worries...

Was this helpful to you?
Yes
No

I'm more confused
Thank you. Now I don't have to make the 150 miles trip to return the frog. She wants to take it to school for extra credit. I am going to have her do some research and write a little report on her new found pet.