Red Salamander Egg + Larval ID Question

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MCHerper

Red Salamander Egg + Larval ID Question

Post by MCHerper » June 8th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Hey Folks,

One of the things that I've wanted to do for a while is to get insitu records for red salamanders in my county (Mercer County, NJ). In the past two months I located two separate populations in streams about 1/2 mile from one another, which I posted about in the species counts.

A few years ago my son and I were flipping rocks for crayfish at a nature preserve in Mercer County, and I saw a ghostly looking salamander larva zip under a rock that was too large for me to turn over. I assumed that it was a red larva, but didn't want to report it without seeing the specimen for long enough to confirm it. I went back yesterday and walked along the same stream where I saw the larval a few years ago. I found what looked like good habitat and flipped a few rocks and found 2 larval reds. I then flipped a rock and found this:

I was pretty excited because I remembered Incuhead's post about the red eggs, and I was pretty sure that this is what I was seeing based on the population's presence. I then flipped another rock and found this:

I've seen two-lined and dusky eggs and these were larger, especially in the first picture. In hindsight I should have put a coin on it for scale but wanted to get the eggs back in the water quickly.

Edit: I've done some research and am now leaning toward the eggs in the first pic being reds and in the second pic being two lined. Can any of the experts please confirm or refute either?

Also, I found some 2-lined larva elsewhere in the stream, and flipped a few of these. I believe that these are duskies-can anyone confirm or refute please? Sorry about the poor quality, I don't like to keep these guys out of the water for long:

Thanks for your help!

incuhead2000

Re: Red Salamander Egg + Larval ID Question

Post by incuhead2000 » June 9th, 2014, 4:06 pm

I believe the red salamander eggs are typically laid in the late autumn and hatch in winter so those eggs are probably the property of another species, probably two lined. Duskys usually lay their eggs out of water in clusters and guard them.

Your larva look like duskys, but when it comes to this I am not an expert, let's see if anyone else can confirm this.

MCHerper

Post by MCHerper » June 11th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Thanks Incuhead. I will record them as two lined eggs.

Any other takers for the dusky larva before I record it as such?

spinifer

Post by spinifer » June 20th, 2014, 2:47 pm

The larvae are also two-lined.