NW Louisiana

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jlzachary1

NW Louisiana

Post by jlzachary1 »

So, I made my first venture into Louisiana this Saturday and i visited the Noah Tyson Park at Mira Myrtis Creek. Now I am determined to get back and do some proper herping in the NW LA area. Any tips on locales or techniques etc for that area?
jlzachary1

Re: NW Louisiana

Post by jlzachary1 »

perhaps just some tips on swamp herping then? Do you guys ever get out and wade the swamps or do you mostly just flip trees. I would love to find milksnakes and mudsnakes. what do you guys find to be the best technique for that?
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Sorry Jamie. Not sure how I didn't reply to this earlier (swear I did. Must be losing my mind.)

Anyway, I haven't spent a great deal of time in NW LA, but had intended to post a link to a technique used by a few of the guys up in AR. Habitat in NW LA may be closer to what they have than to the vast swampiness we we deal with down in SE LA. It's an interesting technique to say the least. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5fLdoFhxg

And if you can ever make it this far down, I'd be happy to show you around.

Chris
jlzachary1

Post by jlzachary1 »

thanks for the video, I will definitely check that out. My goal is to get down to central Louisiana next summer sometime. My little exposure to the swamp so far as me itching for more.