It is currently December 17th, 2017, 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: REPOST: Large Taiwan Beauty Snakes doing the nasty
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 9:07 pm 

Fortunately, I had posted a few of my original FHF posts on other forums (yes, I have other Gods besides Thee. Sue me. :mrgreen: ), so in order to rebuild the house, I can and will repost them here over the next days. Here's the first:

Herping season has begun in earnest now over here, and last night's trip to the Northern Cross-Island Highway, the best cruising road in Taiwan, didn't disappoint. It wasn't really warm, maybe in the high sixties, and we could see our breath, but the snakes were OUT! Apart from the usual suspects (Dinodon rufozonatum, Lycodon ruhstrati, Viridovipera stejnegeri, the latter shown in the last two pix), we spotted two approximately eight foot long Taiwan Beauty Snakes (Orthriopis taeniura friesi) doing the Beast with Two Backs by the roadside. They stopped beasting when we approached, but didn't mind at all being handled, checked, and slung around various human shoulders, a move they particularly enjoyed considering the low temps. I walked around for a good half hour with one of the serpents around my neck, taking pictures of the action all the time. What a show....no snapping, no hissing, no anal gland assault - as tame as captives. So tame, in fact, that my son asked me after seeing the photos "Dad, whom did those two large Beauties belong to?" :D :D (Bill's macro shots to follow soon)

Profile WWW