New Wetlands Preserve on Corpus Christi - Oso Bay

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

OsoBayWP

New Wetlands Preserve on Corpus Christi - Oso Bay

Post by OsoBayWP » June 16th, 2014, 7:42 am

Hello you all

My name is Manuel Cantu, I'm the new program manager at the brand new Oso Bay Wetlands Preserve in Corpus Christi TX. We offer a wide variety of services, but more significantly, I’m a herpetologist at heart! I have not had a chance to go and fully explore the preserve (part of which is still under construction) but I have already found some very nice fellas in there!
Hopefully a lot of you all will have a chance to come and visit us

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y42 ... 1402932769

I hope you all like it!
Manuel Cantu M.S.

John Williams

Re: New Wetlands Preserve on Corpus Christi - Oso Bay

Post by John Williams » June 17th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the post. That could be an interesting site. I haven't looked into it at all. Is it reclaimed, natural, etc? What are the chances of Nerodia clarkii and Malaclemys being on site? It'd be great to have the later down there protected,

OsoBayWP

Post by OsoBayWP » June 18th, 2014, 4:46 am

Most of the upland preserve is reclaimed, going through secondary succession. The wetlands themselves seem to be pretty undisturbed!

As far as chances for Nerodia, I think they are slim. Not a lot of vegetation around the bay to inhabit. I would say chances for Malaclemys are good since they inhabit the neighboring Corpus Christi Bay. Even more exciting, some other tracks upstream may eventually become part of the preserve, and that is much better habitat for the clarkii. I will be conducting more field surveys in the coming months and will keep you all updated to what I find!

So far I have found:
Thamnophis proximus
Thamnophis marcianus
Tantilla gracillis
Elaphe emoryi (Dead)
Gopherus berlandieri
Kinosternon flavescens
Gastrophryne olivacea
Rana berlandieri
Sceloporus variabilis
Cnemidophorus (Asp) gularis
Crotalus atrox
Drymarchon corais
(Skin)

Workers have found
Opheodrys aestivus

Have a great day!
Manuel Cantu M.S.

chrish

Post by chrish » June 18th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Looks like a really cool place. I'll have to make a trip down to see it sometime. Looks like you could have N. clarkii in there. Might also be Cemophora c. lineri in the upland areas?

Just a suggestions, you might want to update your taxonomy if you are communicating these species names to the public:

Elaphe emoryi = Pantherophis emoryi

Rana berlandieri = Lithobates berlandieri

Cnemidophorus (Asp) gularis = Aspidoscelis gularis

Drymarchon corais = Drymarchon melanurus

OsoBayWP

Post by OsoBayWP » June 18th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Thanks Chrish, I'm crossing my fingers for Cemophora too! And lets add Bufo valliceps (nebulifer) to the list!

About the taxonomy, I know I need to modernize, it is one of those things... I'm very attached to the old school taxonomy, but you are right I need to modernize.

I uploaded more pictures to the photobucket, and as soon as I figure it out I'll post them on the forums! Latest finds include a M. flagellum, A. spinifera nesting, and a triple-dipper, I'll let you all find those ones!

Thanks!
Manuel Cantu M.S.

chrish

Post by chrish » June 20th, 2014, 4:01 am

OsoBayWP wrote:Thanks Chrish, I'm crossing my fingers for Cemophora too! And lets add Bufo valliceps (nebulifer) to the list!

About the taxonomy, I know I need to modernize, it is one of those things... I'm very attached to the old school taxonomy, but you are right I need to modernize.

I uploaded more pictures to the photobucket, and as soon as I figure it out I'll post them on the forums! Latest finds include a M. flagellum, A. spinifera nesting, and a triple-dipper, I'll let you all find those ones!

Thanks!
Manuel Cantu M.S.
While we are updating taxonomy....

Bufo valliceps/nebulifer is now Incilius nebulifer and Masticophis flagellum is Coluber flagellum ;)

People have different "feelings" about using Incilius in place of Bufo and Coluber in place of their old favorite Masticophis, but nebulifer vs valliceps is a bigger deal because B/O/I valliceps is still a valid species name for a species occuring in tropical Mexico.

It is tough to stay current. For your work, it might be useful to try and tie your taxonomy to some published source like the SSAR list.

rednspit

Post by rednspit » September 5th, 2014, 6:14 am

Looks like everything has come back since you all went in a tore up the place. I have been herping back there for years and when I started to see construction I was pretty pissed off! I will have to go by and check it out. Hopefully my favorite female tortoise is still around.

OsoBayWP

Post by OsoBayWP » September 9th, 2014, 8:21 am

Well that is just something that has to happen if you want to have a nice program/laboratories like we will have, but organisms are ok and the bio-survey indicates critters and herps are just fine.

Plenty of Texas tortoises around, and remember that now it is a preserve, so watch for the plants also :)

Have a great day!
Manuel Cantu