Report timber sightings to a reptile distributor? ....huh?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kyle from Carolina

Report timber sightings to a reptile distributor? ....huh?

Post by Kyle from Carolina » July 7th, 2014, 12:36 pm

deleted

ZantiMissKnit

Re: Report timber sightings to a reptile distributor? ....hu

Post by ZantiMissKnit » July 7th, 2014, 1:25 pm

I've never dealt with them personally, but they have long been known to me as they have had a strong presence at some of the local reptile expos. I've seen this page before, and read it (it's been up for a few years), and I think it is more in line of a personal curiosity than looking to do anything out of sorts. Of course, it does state that they are looking for new (unknown to us) populations, but which populations do they know about?

It's not personally how I would go about trying to find out if there are more populations; for one, you probably aren't the first person to be suspicious about that page. I'd rather keep my curiosity on the down-low and try to see if the states involved would want my assistance in any way (to which the answer would probably be to back off, which I would do). Timber populations in New England are a really touchy subject, as you probably know.

I believe the founder is a member of this forum, so I'm sure when he sees this he will respond.

Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen » July 7th, 2014, 2:53 pm

It's really simple. Follow my personal rule and you'll be good.

I don't care who you are, how fancy your website is, what "credentials" you claim to have, or which publication your name is printed in ; NO I will not give you coordinates to my timber spots, and NO you cannot come with me.

:beer:

mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe » July 7th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Looks more like curiosity and concern to me than a collection threat. Also, that page seems to be from 2005, which was quite some time ago, scarily enough.

Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina » July 7th, 2014, 4:38 pm

deleted

pete

Post by pete » July 8th, 2014, 1:49 am

Always a touchy subject in New England :lol: the website author is extremely passionate about timber conservation.

mikez

Post by mikez » July 27th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I can't speak to his motives, didn't know him personally, but toured his facility once, before he came out with his timber "research". Was a burm breeding facility, but with lots of other pretty cool stuff.

Later I heard they were involved with visiting the very few timber dens in NH and Vt, in what capacity don't know, but I'm pretty sure they ended up with a "visit" from F&G. If memory serves minor violations, no smoking gun, quoting from memory and don't want to spread rumors. Prolly on google somewhere.

The everlasting memory I took away from my visit to the facility was when the owner, in front of a tour of like 12 people, reached into a cage and promptly got tagged on the hand by a venomoid timber rattler.