Desert Snakes Still Moving?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

Desert Snakes Still Moving?

Post by LouB747 »

OK, it's a bit late in the season, but my wife wants to either go to a drive in or go road cruising. She totally caught me off guard. So, any action still left out in the desert?

SurfinHerp

Re: Desert Snakes Still Moving?

Post by SurfinHerp »

I'm doubtful about the desert Lou. I saw a few herps on Mon. night in Imperial County when the weather was hot and humid, but I believe it's drier today in most desert areas of CA.
You might want to try the mountains, especially somewhere there's been recent rain. Second option might be mid-elevation areas.

Good luck wherever you end up!

Jeff
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks. Appreciate the input. I've never really cruised the mid-elevations. Guessing the winding roads may not work so well with the family onboard. I'll post if I go and what's out there.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Somehow ended up at Bed Bath and Beyond. Go figure.
gopher

Post by gopher »

LouB747 wrote:Somehow ended up at Bed Bath and Beyond. Go figure.
:lol: Well that didn't go as expected. In my recent experience the deserts are pretty barren right now, just one glossy snake on my trip wed.
Snakeherper5

Post by Snakeherper5 »

Hey lou! This is Joey. I met you out on WW with your family with the Red Diamond remember? My girlfriend and I have been out a lot the past couple of weeks but havent seen too much action. We mainly see some action passed 9pm when temps drop below 85. Earlier this month, we found a huge beautiful king, one of the biggest weve found ever. Also your usual red diamonds, long nose, and maybe a couple other kings. Glossys, shovel nose, and leaf nose down on the sandy roads surrounding but in low numbers. Its just been so dry even with the temps and humidity being ideal.

If you go i would think you would come across a few snakes no doubt, but as i said its been slim pickens the last week or so.

If you make your way out here, please feel free to shoot me a PM and we could hook up possibly and i could even show you a new road close by you may not know, though i dont know how productive it is but my wife and I are always down to road cruise our beautiful desert!

Hope to hear from you and of course bring Chance along!

- Joey Harvey
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

LouB747 wrote:Somehow ended up at Bed Bath and Beyond. Go figure.
Hahahah!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thinking back, maybe she said, "go homing" instead of "go herping." Maybe "homing" is one of those new words people use. Like "trending." Who knows.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Hey Joey, I totally remember meeting you and your girlfriend that night. My wife actually mentioned you guys the other day. For her, it's cool when there's another girl out there. It doesn't happen all that often. We definitely need to get together sometime.

Thanks for the info. I think we need to see some pics of that king.
natrix

Post by natrix »

LouB747 asked my question. I had planned (irrationally it seems) to visit Anza Borrego next week but the answers in this thread are discouraging. I thought maybe the higher desert in Joshua Tree may be productive. Does anyone here have any experience of that area and can give advise? I live in Kentucky and usually only comes to central California (Sierra foothills east of Sacramento) in the summer.

Tom
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

These are the 'dog days' of summer... the gravid females are below ground, getting ready to lay, or birth... so the males have no reason to cruise, cept eating... and who want to eat with nothing to wash the meal down with... screw it... keep napping till it's cooler, and wetter.

Come Sept... all the neos will be out looking for their first meal... mom will be out, trying to fatten up enough to make it through winter... and the males are like... well, hell....women are out.. might as well go get a drink, something to eat, and see what happens.... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:

Time to get back to my nap... see ya in about 40 days... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

whoops, didn't mean to post. back to work everybody, nothing to see here. :crazyeyes: