Ever found the same herp twice?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rich in Reptiles

Ever found the same herp twice?

Post by Rich in Reptiles » July 19th, 2014, 7:25 pm

I did today! I found the same milksnake as i did last year in June, at the same tin site! I think it's pretty cool to see the progression of this individual, but then again i would like to see a greater population of this species since this is the only milksnake I've ever seen at my tin site. I've also seen the same American toad two separate years. It's a fat ol' female that hangs around our house :lol: Anyone else have "regulars" that keep hanging around?

Last year in June i took this picture....
ImageEastern milksnake by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

Then today i took this picture... I was amazed comparing photos on my computer that it truly was the same snake i had seen a year before!!
ImageEastern milksnake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum) by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

Soopaman

Re: Ever found the same herp twice?

Post by Soopaman » July 19th, 2014, 7:35 pm

I've got a few that I've run into more than once.

This yard milk was found in summer 2011 and again in summer 2012:

ImageLampropeltis triangulum amaura (Louisiana Milk Snake) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

Found this huge getula (Sharon) in Nov 2012:
ImageLampropeltis getula holbrooki (Speckled Kingsnake) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

And again in April 2013:
ImageLampropeltis getula holbrooki (Speckled Kingsnake) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

Flipped this callie at least three times in spring 2013:

ImageLampropeltis calligaster calligaster (Prairie Kingsnake) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

Found this pair of redheads at least twice in 2013:
ImageColuber flagellum testaceus (Western Coachwhip) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

And then found one again in 2014:
ImageColuber flagellum testaceus (Western Coachwhip) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr

It's always good to see regular customers!

Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles » July 19th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Wow that is awesome to see such gorgeous animals more than once! Great photography as well!

Noah M

Post by Noah M » July 19th, 2014, 9:13 pm

The only time I have seen a species twice (of more than a week apart) was with a Pine Woods Littersnake. I found it once on 9-29-13, then again on 10-4-13, and lastly on 6-7-14 where it was discovered as deceased by a neighbor. We called him Stumpy because of his abbreviated tail.

Records 162865, 163252, 189817 in the HERP database for pictures.

There were numerous geckos around our old apartment, usually 6 on busy nights. I highly suspect they were the same group year after year, but I never studied them closely enough to see how long they stayed around. One had a tail come up missing and we could pick it out easily over the course of the summer, but by the next year you couldn't really tell.

Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May » July 20th, 2014, 3:41 am

YES! I have found a number of corn snakes repeated times at work where they are common. There will be one with an odd spear point on its head, or one with a certain pattern anomaly that is easily recognizable, or a stump tail, etc.
There was a black racer around my house that I accidentally clipped off the end of his tail when he was a neonate. He was in a hedge I was trimming at the time. Well, he lived just fine and stayed within several houses for the next four or five years. He grew to be a nice adult and during the winter I would often find him basking on the cement slab under my tool shed, or climbing around on my fence. His stump tail ended in sort of a club that was easy to spot.

Lastly, Sean Belanger--the King of the ANF Kings, has found numerous kingsnakes repeated times over the years.

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell » July 20th, 2014, 7:30 am

My chickens have their own ratsnake, who comes periodically to eat eggs. We know it is the same snake because of an old tail injury. We always leave an egg or two in a nestbox for him. He comes and goes from the oak tree next to the coop. The chickens do not get upset unless they are actually in the laying process when he comes.
Imageratsnake by Tamara McConnell1, on Flickr
url=https://flic.kr/p/oa5Ub8]Image[/url]henhouse visitor by Tamara McConnell1, on Flickr

Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May » July 21st, 2014, 3:31 am

One thing I've noticed about many of these responses-- including my own, is that they involve wild herps that live around our homes. So finding the same animal repeated times way out in the field is especially cool.

ncphinsfan13

Post by ncphinsfan13 » July 21st, 2014, 10:39 am

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:My chickens have their own ratsnake, who comes periodically to eat eggs. We know it is the same snake because of an old tail injury. We always leave an egg or two in a nestbox for him. He comes and goes from the oak tree next to the coop. The chickens do not get upset unless they are actually in the laying process when he comes.
Imageratsnake by Tamara McConnell1, on Flickr
url=https://flic.kr/p/oa5Ub8]Image[/url]henhouse visitor by Tamara McConnell1, on Flickr

That is awesome!

Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren » July 21st, 2014, 4:04 pm

I cruised this great plains rat on consecutive nights in KS earlier this year, identified by the stub tail.

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan » July 22nd, 2014, 8:25 am

This is a really good thread, Beth.
It does seem that most of these are “around the house or work”, or in a board line.

I’ve seen the same animal on the shoulder of the road or on a cut in west TX, half hour or so later, but I’ve not had the same animal cross the road completely, go on its way into the bush, then see it much later in the night, crossing back over.
At least until this Blacktail in SE AZ (where the national meet will be this year)!
It crossed in front of us, was noted as being thin, and was photo’d for the data base. This was 7:37 PM.

We went some other places, returned to this location, and found the same animal crossing the road, going the opposite direction, at 9:13 PM, apparently not any better fed.

Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles » July 22nd, 2014, 11:51 am

Thanks Bill! This is really interesting! I love your henhouse visitor, Tamara!

Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles » January 25th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Had to re-surface this post. Today while i was herping i found the same watersnake that i caught in March 2014!!!
Then:
ImageNerodia sipedon by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

Now:
ImageMidland watersnake (same one from spring of 2014!) by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

ImageMidland watersnake (same one from spring of 2014!) by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

Noah M

Post by Noah M » January 26th, 2015, 6:33 am

That is really cool. I've been finding the same snakes under my board dot weeks apart. It is really neat finding the same animal over and over again, checking in on them and seeing how they're doing.

This past summer we had the same brown anole hang out on the same leaf of a plumeria plant on our patio night after night. A good 6 months in a row. If it was raining she'd be gone, but right back there the next night. Then it started to get colder and we saw less and less of her. I wonder if she'll be back this spring.

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson » January 26th, 2015, 9:02 am

When I go to the Smokies, there is always a Red-Cheeked Salamander under the same log in the spruce-fir zone (record #153858) Other than that, I don't have internet-posted pictures, but there is an old American Toad I call "Bruce" (I found him after listening to "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen whilst road cruising in the rain the night before) who always shows up around my porch in Mid-August. My Mom also had a "birthday toad" (American but smaller, had a distinctive pattern of two bumps with prominent black rings on back of head) that would turn up on the front step every year between September 7 and September 14 from 2002-2009. He has most likely since passed on. There is also a Red-backed salamander from Lapeer County, Michigan (I'm a Midwesterner, but I like browsing the Southeast forum and kind of wish that I lived down in TN or NC somewhere so that the Blue Ridge wouldn't be 500 miles away!) that is always sitting under one of two logs at the entrance to one of my favorite sites.
Jefferson
"It's like deja vu all over again." -Yogi Berra

Nshepard

Post by Nshepard » February 24th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Caught my first Longnose two times in the same night. Caught a post-partum dekayi crossing a road three times in a row. I have revisited the same rattlesnake over and over and on multiple animals.