Northern Illinois Herpers

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ReptileLover89

Northern Illinois Herpers

Post by ReptileLover89 »

Hi guys!
I have been doing a lot of herping this summer. The cool temps have been great!! However, I have only caught one snake. Are there any people in my area, Will County IL, that could give me some advice? I know people dont like to give away their locations but I thought someone local could PM me and help me learn more about good places to start. I have heard a lot about Kankakee but have no idea where to go. I dont know if the state park will give me luck or not. I have been to various forest preserves and such and the only luck was a Dekays Brown Snake crossinIg the path one evening. I have looked for roads with boards and what not lying around but havent seen any of those either. I am young and VERY interested in starting a career in Herpetology. I would like to make some good friends of people on the forum, especially those that are slightly local to me. Any help is very welcome. Information, pics of good habitat, advice, anything at all! I can honestly say I love wildlife with a strong passion and would do nothing to hurt it in any way. The only thing I want to do is be in the field, catch, handle, look at for a few minutes, and let go. I have no interest in capturing wild animals for my own pleasure. Thanks again but please PM me if you are local and willing to help a fellow herper out! ALL ADVICE IS NEEDED! THANKS
justinm

Re: Northern Illinois Herpers

Post by justinm »

Some of this is just going to be trial and error. Just like Fishing you don't always have a great day, if you're gauging that by your catch. Research specific animals. If you are in the correct habitat then usually it's a matter of time to learn the temps time of day, rain or dry etc. One thing that's usually good is to search anywhere that has two habitats meeting. So the edge of prairie meeting a section of timber. Power line cuts are good, I dare say RR tracks, anywhere that has a creek. Above all figure out a target and figure out what they like and get in that habitat and put your time in.
seanchilders

Post by seanchilders »

You are right in my area, who is this?
ReptileLover89

Post by ReptileLover89 »

Where in my are are you? And who are you? Ha ha thanks for the help justinm I went yesterday and caught a baby spotted salamander, a couple tadpoles, and a garter snake so I was happy.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

I live in Rockford. Almost never herp nearby!
HerpingIllinois

Post by HerpingIllinois »

ReptileLover89,
I'm actually very close to you, and I'm also pretty young (15). If you wanna talk, shoot me a PM, I always love to share some stuff.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

You aren't that young. I started when I was five and by the time I was fifteen I had caught every snake possible within biking distance of our home. First I lived in the city and had to herp in city lots and behind shopping centers, etc, anywhere there was an open field. By the time I was fifteen I was researching massasaugas, but didn't have my driver's license, yet, so had to wait before going long distance, unless it was on a trip with adults. I learned you mostly target two things: the herp of your choice, or the habitat of your choice. If you want to sample a habitat, you will look at whatever you find in that habitat. If you're interested in a herp, say the fox snake, then you look in habitats where you know they exist. Do your research and put in your time. Like someone said already, you're not always going to get lucky. I can remember my very favorite finds all on one hand.

BTW, I was passing through Will County on my way to the airport last May and stopped at Midewin Nat. Tallgrass Prairie to see how they were restoring the habitat there. I was there only an hour and found a fox snake and some other animals. Best of luck.... ;)

Edit (to add a link)....http://www.nationalforests.org/conserve ... estoration

They are replacing farms with prairie there (growing their own seed); replacing cattle with bison; and have a great learning center and nature trails. Also there is riverine and forest habitat. Look for fox snakes in the forest near water. Birding is super too! Please support the restoration effort. Thanks!