Toad Questions

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jake Schneider

Toad Questions

Post by Jake Schneider »

I recently made an account on H.E.R.P., and started entering data. This caused me to finally learn how to ID Toads. I always thought that both of the species of Toads native to Maryland lived in my neighborhood. I have since realized only Fowler's Toads live near me. However, just a few miles away at one of my spots, all that's there are American Toads. At another spot, just Fowler's. I haven't really noticed a correlation between habitat and Toad species, But I've noticed there always seems to be one species per area. I've never recorded both species together even though multiple websites I've found say they co-exist in many areas.

Has anyone here ever found both species in one place, and has anyone found hybrids of the two? I've read multiple places that hybrids are common, but have yet to find one.

Mike VanValen

Re: Toad Questions

Post by Mike VanValen »

I have never found both species in one spot, though I know they do occur together in Connecticut. american X fowleri hybrids have been documented from 3 Connecticut counties. From time to time, I have found toads that share characteristics of both species, but I've never had a verified hybrid.

spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Yes, hybrid population....http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=76369 The call is much more easy to distinguish hybrids than characteristics...across the street from this spot I only get americanus

See also record number 145149, 145148

incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

In MD I have seen overlap on the Western shore with Fowlers being much more dominant on the Eastern shore. At least that has been my observation.

ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I have a few spots that appear to be 100% American toads (metro Boston area), but as I go to SE Mass, it's predominently Fowler's toads with a small population of American toads. The Americans tend to stay in the shaded wooded areas, while the Fowler's are in sandy soil areas near the water.

Jake Schneider

Post by Jake Schneider »

Awesome. Those hybrids sound really weird.

I think I'm going to set finding an americanus x fowleri hybrid chorus as my #1 Goal for 2015. Who cares about finding Lampropeltis or Copperheads or a Queensnake, I'm getting myself a Toad! And I'll probably map out the whole distribution of these 2 species in my area in the process.

Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Jake Schneider wrote: Who cares about finding Lampropeltis or Copperheads or a Queensnake, I'm getting myself a Toad!
Oh no, no, no. That reverse herping psychology doesn't work. :lol: I know you're really hoping to stumble upon a king, copper, or queen while looking for a toad.

Jake Schneider

Post by Jake Schneider »

Mike VanValen wrote: Oh no, no, no. That reverse herping psychology doesn't work. :lol: I know you're really hoping to stumble upon a king, copper, or queen while looking for a toad.

Oh, I know that "Reverse Herping Psychology" doesn't work. On my recent trip to Kansas, I had a short list of things I wanted to find. A Bullsnake was #1 on that list. I managed to find everything else on that list pretty easily, but the closest I came to a Bullsnake was a dried out DOR that had been run over 50 times and was hardly even ID-able. I decided to change tactics and start hoping for an Ornate Box Turtle while secretly hoping for a Bull. I ended up seeing 3 live and healthy Boxies and no Bullsnake :cry:

As for those five snakes that somehow continue to elude me in Maryland, I've just stopped looking for them for a while. I'll find them when I find them.