Trip to Tahoe/Truckee and Tehachapi

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Chrispherp

Trip to Tahoe/Truckee and Tehachapi

Post by Chrispherp » August 4th, 2014, 11:41 pm

My son and I are driving up to the Tahoe/Truckee and Tehachapi areas this coming Wednesday for skateboard camps and were hoping to stop at a few spots along the way to herp since I have only been up that way once and did not do any herping. We are taking the 15N to 395N to lake tahoe then along west side of lake to 80W to Truckee, then 80W to 99S to Bakersfield and 58E to Tehachapi. I know its not the best time of year and don't expect anyone to share specific localities but if anyone is willing to recommend any general places that would be worth stopping at feel free to post here or PM me. I do not know much about the herps in northern california other then from californiaherps website, so almost anything would be a lifer for me (Norpac, sierra alligator lizard, any other type of garter besides the two stripe and checkered from Socal, sharp tailed snake, legless lizard, sceloporus (sagebrush or fence), skinks, slenders, ensatinas, newts, pond turtles, etc.) Thanks and hope to hear from any of you soon.

hellihooks

Re: Trip to Tahoe/Truckee and Tehachapi

Post by hellihooks » August 5th, 2014, 5:47 am

When passing through Bakersfield...you should be able to see Soft-shelled turtles sunning along any of the many canals throughout the agricultural areas. (not native, but not something you're likely to see often) If you can find any running creeks heading into the mountains... you might be able to see Ca. Newts... have fun nothing beats herping with your boy(s).

Chrispherp

Post by Chrispherp » August 5th, 2014, 11:27 am

Thanks hellihooks, I have only seen one soft shell in a pond in SD but didn't get any vouchers so maybe we will stop and take a look. I will also look for running creeks since near water will be best place to find herps this time of year.

mwentz

Post by mwentz » August 5th, 2014, 3:22 pm

I don't have any good spots, or even good recommendations, but I know that 395 is one of the most beautiful drives you could take. Have fun. On that long of a ride, you should come across some snakes on the road. Parts of 395 are pretty lonely, you might even find the snakes still alive.

If you have the time, I would highly recommend stopping to see the Bristlecone forest near Bishop. There are at least sagebrush lizards at the 11,000 ft elevation.

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks » August 5th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Hope you got a good telephoto lens for those softshells... they dive when you stop your car, from across the street... :shock: I SAW 100's of them... but couldn't get close enough for a decent shot... and that was cruisen with M. Waters, who lives there... :roll:
here's a few things I did see in the Bakersfield area
And...as good as i could get, for the shofshells... :roll:
granted... this was the end of May... not the start of Augest... :beer:

RobertH

Post by RobertH » August 5th, 2014, 6:41 pm

I'll pm you. Robert

Fundad

Post by Fundad » August 6th, 2014, 6:43 am

Lots of lizards out and about in the early am.. That should be easy... Get up early if at low elevation..

Once the moon goes away road cruising higher elelvations where there has been rain could be somewhat productive..

Lots and lots of Rubber Boa roads along that route, when the moon is not out or if it is covered by clouds you could have
good success..

Garter Snakes are pretty easy in the northern sections of that route in the tahoe especially. Look for streams or lakes and walk them mid morning or late afternoon if hot, middle of the day if cool. You should see plenty..

Fundad

Fundad

Post by Fundad » August 6th, 2014, 6:59 am

PS Are you the same Chrispherp that has all the inaturalist records?

Chrispherp

Post by Chrispherp » August 6th, 2014, 8:51 am

Thanks for all of the replies and PM's so far. After the northern CA part we are actually heading cross country to MN/WI so I will hopefully be stopping along the way to herp there as well. When I get back I will try to post some of my finds if anything good and will enter data in the database eventually.

Robert - Thanks for the collared lizard spot, may not get there at ideal time this trip but always looking for more spots to see those guys, one of my favorites. And yes 395 is a great scenic route, been on that route one other time all the way to oregon, but did not know Cali herps at that time so did not do much so hopefully will be able to make a few stops along the way and also just to take in the scenery.

Hellihooks - Thanks for additional info and pics. Unfortunately my wife took the good camera on her leg of trip so may not be able to get any good pics of the soft shells but will try.

Fundad - Thanks for the info, rubber boas and garters would be high on my list so I will find streams or ponds to walk and roads after dark for rubber boas. Yes, this is the same chrispherp that has all the inaturalist records, I met you at the Lake Hodges Bioblitz. I am behind on entering data in both inaturalist and HERP, but hope to get through my backlog before end of year.

Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga » August 6th, 2014, 9:16 am

You guys are going to Woodward Tahoe and then to Woodward west? Good times. I'm a Woodward vet so to speak as I have been skating them since the early 90's. I'll shoot you a PM with some suggestions.

Chrispherp

Post by Chrispherp » August 6th, 2014, 10:47 am

Thanks again rothdigga, yes we are hitting both skatecamps this week/weekend. My friend Falco Baltys is an instructor there and we are driving him from Tahoe to West in exchange for some free skating. My 7yr old son is gonna freak when he get to these camps, they look amazing. Have skated West a few times but not Tahoe.