Green Iguanas in Brevard county?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

InfantryVeteran

Green Iguanas in Brevard county?

Post by InfantryVeteran »

I was driving north on I95 today. I was almost to the Eau Gallie Blvd exit when I saw something scooting across the road up ahead. At first I wasn't sure what I was seeing until I got closer. It was a Green Iguana!!

Unfortunately, I couldn't stop in time to get a voucher. I can confirm that the iguana made it across the north bound lanes, but I don't know if it made it across the southbound lanes. I drove by there later to see if there was any DOR and didn't see one.

I called FWC to report the sighting and that was the farthest north they've been sighted in Brevard County. They have recorded a few sightings in Sebastian.

I won't count this one as a lifer since I never got a voucher, but it was definitely a huge shock!

What's the farthest north you have heard of population?
BillMcGighan

Re: Green Iguanas in Brevard county?

Post by BillMcGighan »

The question is are they breeding there? Are there more? Sounds like a good project.

Some of the occasional extended deep freezes in that area every 10 or 20 years should control them.
InfantryVeteran

Post by InfantryVeteran »

BillMcGighan wrote:The question is are they breeding there? Are there more? Sounds like a good project.

Some of the occasional extended deep freezes in that area every 10 or 20 years should control them.
I was thinking that as well. From the direction it was running from is a large neighborhood with lots of canals. I am planning to do some door knocking around there to see if there are others.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I am farther north than there and one supposedly escaped from an apartment in my complex earlier this summer. I never saw it but other people did.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Go walk the canals where you saw it at night and shine the vegetation. You'll turn em' up if they're there in any numbers.
sdbeazley

Post by sdbeazley »

While I have never seen one in Brevard I have heard they do quite well in citrus trees. Growing up in Sebastian I saw plenty but I think most froze 10 years ago. Now I live 2 minutes from that Eau Gallie exit, I will have to keep a better eye out. It could have escaped from the Humane Society shelter at that intersection or superflea market.