Who's planning to go to 2014 NAFHA National?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jimi

Who's planning to go to 2014 NAFHA National?

Post by Jimi »

Just curious what our showing is looking like. I know of 3 so far from this side of the chapter. Surely there will be a few from "the other front", besides Tim?

Cheers,
Jimi
simpleyork

Re: Who's planning to go to 2014 NAFHA National?

Post by simpleyork »

wish I could go
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

The North American Field Herping Association
National Meeting 2014
August 29- September 1
Rodeo, New Mexico
Open to NAFHA members, NA-Herp Database Contributors and anyone interested in learning more about the organization and its activities.
Itinerary- Scheduled Activities
All times listed are Mountain Daylight Time aka NM time
Friday Aug 29th-
5 PM - Meet at Sunny Flats Campground for Meet and Greet
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coronado ... 8&actid=70
Overflow campgrounds are available close by-
Evening Road Cruising
Saturday Aug 30th-
10 AM Meet at Chiricahua Desert Museum Conference Center,
Guest speaker- Dirk Stevenson, Eastern Diamondback and Indigo Research
Afternoon and Evening Herping
Sunday Aug 31st-
2 PM BBQ and social @ Chiricahua Desert Museum please bring $8 per person
Free admission to the museum!
http://www.chiricahuadesertmuseum.com/
Evening Road Cruising
Monday Sept 1st-
12 PM meet at Chiricahua Desert Museum Conference Center - meeting wrap up
Pertinent details-
NAFHA has been issued scientific collection permits for both Arizona and New Mexico. Details are as follows-
Arizona- There are 14 listed agents on our permit. You must be in the presence of one of the listed agents to be covered under the permit.
The SCP is valid from August 28-Sept 2 in Cochise County South of I-10 from and including the Sulfur Springs Valley east to the New Mexico state line.
The SCP authorizes us to capture, hold for up to 2 hours, photograph, and release at site of capture unlimited numbers of all open season (non-protected) herps.
The SCP also allows for 1 hour hold for up to 4 lepidus, 1 pricei, 1 milk snake, 2 Gila monsters, and 10 ornate box turtles.
No lepidus or pricei may be pursued or captured from the well known talus slope.
We cannot capture Massasaugas, unless in imminent peril from road death but then all we can do is move them off the road ONLY. We can only photograph them in situ.
No capturing Yarrows Spiny Lizards or Striped Plateau Lizards along Cave Creek above the Southwest Research Station or along Turkey Creek due to an ongoing study.
We are authorized to collect DOR open season and closed season herps found dead (federally protected species require a federal permit).
The group cannot be in one area simultaneously. We must “disperse our collection activities for all species to avoid impacting wild populations”.
Destructive collecting techniques are not authorized.
Individuals wishing to hold non-protected reptiles and amphibians overnight must have an AZ hunting license.
New Mexico- The New Mexico scientific collection permit authorizes salvage of DORs only. Animals may be photographed in situ, New Mexico residents and individuals with NM hunting licenses may temporarily capture animals for educational and photographic purposes.
During this official NAHFA event the collection of reptiles and amphibians is prohibited. All attendees are expected to comply with state and federal rules and regulations.
There are limited dining and fuel options in the area, please plan accordingly.
Please anticipate being contacted by local and federal law enforcement while road cruising. Polite and courteous interaction should minimize time spent with law enforcement.
Please refrain from manipulating venomous reptiles without the proper tools and experience.
NAFHA encourages ALL reptile and amphibian sightings to be recorded.
HERP Mobile Apple- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/h.e.r.p ... 24972?mt=8
HERP Mobile Android- https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bile&hl=en
HerpMapper Apple- https://itunes.apple.com/app/id670772103
HerpMapper Android- https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bileMapper
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Jimi,
We've got about 90 RSVPed so far, and many who haven't. Quite a few from Colorado and New Mexico.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Jimi,
We've got about 90 RSVPed so far, and many who haven't. Quite a few from Colorado and New Mexico.
Great, glad to hear it.

Is this to be a rugged individualist free-for-all, or is there some aspiration for a little direction & order? Within the terms of the permits of course. I mean, for example are we offering the ability to sign up for targeted surveys for Cochise tigris, or milks, or box turtles, or whatever? Or going (perhaps being led) into some specific poorly-known spots to see if we can turn up some unvouchered critters that "really ought to be there"? Ninety guys could put in some serious work (while having serious fun at it). Or is it just "spread out, go have fun, see you at siesta"?

No implied or veiled criticism here in the least, just an honest question. I'm thinking about itinerary, logistics, etc. The guys I'm bringing have never been down there, and, well, there's a lot more to see in the region than just what's east of Sulphur Springs valley.

We'll definitely pop in for a little social, but...without some input, we're going to come up with our own ideas. I recognize that some folks might be repelled by the notion of "a little direction and order", and leave it to your discretion whether this conversation needs to happen elsewhere.

Cheers,
Jimi
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Jimi,
I didn't see this until after the meet due to being south of the border, but we kept it loose and it seemed to work well. Lots of finds and people did well with the freedom to roam. it's difficult to try to keep herpers in a box.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

it's difficult to try to keep herpers in a box.
Oh, indeed! Ha ha.

So it was a freewheeling good time. Great. I need to get my permit back to Dave - got a few things to share with AzGFD.

Cheers, and thanks for cat-herding.

Jimi