Opportunistic Ratsnake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

infidel

Opportunistic Ratsnake

Post by infidel »

We were out last night and came across a bridge about sunrise. We noticed several bats flying around the bridge and that the underside of it had the man-made habitat that the bats like to roost in. Upon closer inspection my buddy saw this little opportunistic rat snake also waiting for the arrival of the returning bats. It appears it took some effort for him to get up there as he was about 16 feet up, wedged between the cross beams and the bats sleeping area.

chris_mcmartin

Re: Opportunistic Ratsnake

Post by chris_mcmartin »

emoryi? Has this behavior been documented in this species before?
infidel

Post by infidel »

chris_mcmartin wrote:emoryi? Has this behavior been documented in this species before?
I don't know but there's a cave about 10 miles up the road from me called the Frio Bat Cave (http://www.friobatflight.com/) that has an Emorys that hangs around the entrance fairly often at dusk that snatches bats out of the air as they pass by. He "dangles" down from the top just like this one and reacts to movement or touch. I've been wanting to go get shots of him but haven't gotten around to it yet.
dery

Post by dery »

You can find Pantherophis Batsnakes here in Northern Alabama as well. Certain caves in Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge have ones who are residents. It's just hard to see them at sunset and night. So, still you made a nice find.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Looking for snakes under bridges in Illinois is often very productive. They will slide up into the cracks where the pillars meet the bridge and escape the heat of the day. Hooks made from wire coat hangers are great for getting them out. Garters, Fox Snakes, Kings, Rat snakes all sorts of things can be found under bridges.
dery

Post by dery »

Here in Alabama, that is true as well. Especially rat snakes. Skinks, spiders, birds, bats, treefrogs, and anoles like to hang in and on the pilings and roofs of bridges as well.