Spring 2014 SE US Herping ROAD TRIP!!!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

PrimitiveTim

Spring 2014 SE US Herping ROAD TRIP!!!

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 5th, 2014, 10:10 am

For the NAFHA meet I went up to Apalachicola and herped. I was a little disappointed with the lack of organization and things seemed kind of cliqueish so I didn't really get to meet a whole lot of people I did meet up with a few guys, mostly by accident and we turned up a few cool things but didn't get to film due to the late hours cruising and lack of sleep. After the meet up I kept going north through Georgia and on to Tennessee. I turned up a few cool things on the way. Overall it was a pretty good trip. I was really hoping to meet more people though. Anyway, here are some of the things I came across and keep in mind that this video is geared more toward a broader audience.

Josh Holbrook

Re: Spring 2014 SE US Herping ROAD TRIP!!!

Post by Josh Holbrook » September 5th, 2014, 10:42 am

PrimitiveTim wrote: I was a little disappointed with the lack of organization and things seemed kind of cliqueish so I didn't really get to meet a whole lot of people...
Did you go to the campfire/jam session social we announced over the weekend?

Josh Young

Post by Josh Young » September 5th, 2014, 11:10 am

I didn't make it in the video I hope!

PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 5th, 2014, 11:30 am

Josh Holbrook wrote:
PrimitiveTim wrote: I was a little disappointed with the lack of organization and things seemed kind of cliqueish so I didn't really get to meet a whole lot of people...
No, cause that was way on the other side of ANF, an hour from Tallahassee. I did run into a father and son and they said they tried to go but couldn't find y'all. I'm not here to criticize anyone as this isn't an association I'm paying to be in or anything. As someone that doesn't really know any of the southeast folks personally it just didn't seem all that clear as to how to meet up with anyone aside from the campfire/jam session social. Like there wasn't a phone number to call or anything. I tried making contact through facebook but didn't get responses until after the event. I think it would have been really cool to have a private event on facebook where someone could have posted that they're gonna be checking traps at 8 AM at this location or we're going to be road cruising starting here at 6 PM and we have two open seats. Do you kind of see what I'm saying?

Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook » September 5th, 2014, 12:14 pm

PrimitiveTim wrote:
Josh Holbrook wrote:
No, cause that was way on the other side of ANF, an hour from Tallahassee. I did run into a father and son and they said they tried to go but couldn't find y'all. I'm not here to criticize anyone as this isn't an association I'm paying to be in or anything. As someone that doesn't really know any of the southeast folks personally it just didn't seem all that clear as to how to meet up with anyone aside from the campfire/jam session social. Like there wasn't a phone number to call or anything. I tried making contact through facebook but didn't get responses until after the event. I think it would have been really cool to have a private event on facebook where someone could have posted that they're gonna be checking traps at 8 AM at this location or we're going to be road cruising starting here at 6 PM and we have two open seats. Do you kind of see what I'm saying?

Kind of, but I'm afraid you're hoping more than can be delivered in this sort of trip. And I say this as someone who's set-up/helped host 3 or 4 NAFHA trips... It may seem "cliquish" but that's usually because people have friends they know really well, haven't seen them in a while and usually end up in the vehicle with them - I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I got to meet a few at the event that I'd never met personally before; and had some good chats with them... It was pretty clear that the jam session and/or camping at the campsite were where everything was happening, so if you missed that somehow I'm sorry. On the facebook event, this forum is the main medium of NAFHA communication (and I didn't have facebook), so that was all we did... I'd encourage you to run for an office for next year and take the advertising bull by the horns; I'm sure it will benefit our attendance.

I will agree that it is nice when the events have more social time, but given the low turnout at the campfire I think most people (especially younger herpers) are more concerned about herping than socializing. It's also hard in southeast because one can potentially herp and find stuff 24/7 - in cooler months (or climates) one typically has the evening hours to hang out around the fire and trade stories. We provided that, but it's a hard choice on whether to meet with the group or go out in search of that goini; evidently a lot of people chose the latter (which is fine.)

Our next trip, though, will be (hopefully) a mostly hiking/salamander centric trip, which I think are better for socializing with everyone.

PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 5th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Josh Holbrook wrote:
PrimitiveTim wrote:

Kind of, but I'm afraid you're hoping more than can be delivered in this sort of trip. And I say this as someone who's set-up/helped host 3 or 4 NAFHA trips... It may seem "cliquish" but that's usually because people have friends they know really well, haven't seen them in a while and usually end up in the vehicle with them - I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I got to meet a few at the event that I'd never met personally before; and had some good chats with them... It was pretty clear that the jam session and/or camping at the campsite were where everything was happening, so if you missed that somehow I'm sorry. On the facebook event, this forum is the main medium of NAFHA communication (and I didn't have facebook), so that was all we did... I'd encourage you to run for an office for next year and take the advertising bull by the horns; I'm sure it will benefit our attendance.

I will agree that it is nice when the events have more social time, but given the low turnout at the campfire I think most people (especially younger herpers) are more concerned about herping than socializing. It's also hard in southeast because one can potentially herp and find stuff 24/7 - in cooler months (or climates) one typically has the evening hours to hang out around the fire and trade stories. We provided that, but it's a hard choice on whether to meet with the group or go out in search of that goini; evidently a lot of people chose the latter (which is fine.)

Our next trip, though, will be (hopefully) a mostly hiking/salamander centric trip, which I think are better for socializing with everyone.
Aight, well I have a better idea of what to expect now. If I want to meet up with people, I'll be a little more proactive before the event.

Josh Young wrote:I didn't make it in the video I hope!
I saved all that footage for myself :shock: Lol, since we all turned into zombies and I didn't get to get any footage of the crayfish and scarlet snakes we found I just left all of that out. I would have loved to get some footage of the other stuff y'all found.

Josh Young

Post by Josh Young » September 5th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Thank goodness! I was so out of it by that point. We gotta do it again when we're all awake enough to be coherent, haha. I thought back on it later that day wondering how terrible I probably was from the lack of sleep.

PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 5th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Josh Young wrote:Thank goodness! I was so out of it by that point. We gotta do it again when we're all awake enough to be coherent, haha. I thought back on it later that day wondering how terrible I probably was from the lack of sleep.
yeah... lots of jokes referencing certain minorities. lol On my way back to my brother's place I pulled off and slept for a couple hours before I woke up and got back to his house at like 5 AM.

simus343

Post by simus343 » September 5th, 2014, 2:13 pm

Really enjoyed the video. For that baby toad I believe it was a southern or maybe a fowlers, though I've never seen a baby or adult fowlers toad other than in pictures. Wasn't an oak, even as newly metamorphosed toads oaks have the obvious yellow stripe down the back, at least the ones in Ochlocknee state forest and on Eglin do. I am also surprised at how calm the banded water snake was haha. I can never get them that calm unless they are captive. They are always either trying to bite me constantly or don't try to bite me at all (captive acclimated ones). Again, I enjoyed the video.

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor » September 5th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Awesome video, Tim! That baby box was super cool. Not to get off topic, but I think I saw somewhere you lead bioluminescent kayak tours?

~Bree

PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 5th, 2014, 3:29 pm

simus343 wrote:Really enjoyed the video. For that baby toad I believe it was a southern or maybe a fowlers, though I've never seen a baby or adult fowlers toad other than in pictures. Wasn't an oak, even as newly metamorphosed toads oaks have the obvious yellow stripe down the back, at least the ones in Ochlocknee state forest and on Eglin do. I am also surprised at how calm the banded water snake was haha. I can never get them that calm unless they are captive. They are always either trying to bite me constantly or don't try to bite me at all (captive acclimated ones). Again, I enjoyed the video.
Yeah, I think I said it was a southern in the video... "It's most likely a southern toad. 3:30" I was really surprised at how calm that second nerodia was too! Almost all the ones I find behave like the first one. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for watching :)
soulsurvivor wrote:Awesome video, Tim! That baby box was super cool. Not to get off topic, but I think I saw somewhere you lead bioluminescent kayak tours?

~Bree
yes, the baby box turtle was one of the highlights and a first for me. At first I didn't know it was a box turtle cause it was flat and not hinged then I sat and looked at it for a while and saw that the head was exactly like a box turtle so I deduced from there. Yes, I do guide bioluminescent kayak tours in central Florida and the bio is popping right now! Saw a glowing dolphin the other night chasing fish. It was insane!

Noah M

Post by Noah M » September 5th, 2014, 3:42 pm

I know Holbrook has already commented on these, but I wanted to add my own 2 cents.

"the lack of organization" = relaxed, laid back, come and go as you please

kind of cliqueish = Some of us are more introverted than extroverted, and are hesitant to herp with people we only know from the internet. I went up with a friend and we spent most of the time herping. We also stayed at a campground where other fellow NAFHA folks were at, so we got to meet them, but missed virtually all of the planned social events.

"I was really hoping to meet more people though."
Me too. I keep thinking about hosting a SE Chapter BBQ that would be more social in nature. Folks could of course herp on their way over and back if they wanted. Perhaps even a SE Chapter Brunch so the better part of the afternoon and evening could be spent in the field.

Also, last but not least. Awesome video. I think your water snakes are animatronic fakes though. I've never seen ones so calm before, even when they are gently handled.

mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe » September 5th, 2014, 3:45 pm

PrimitiveTim wrote: yes, the baby box turtle was one of the highlights and a first for me. At first I didn't know it was a box turtle cause it was flat and not hinged then I sat and looked at it for a while and saw that the head was exactly like a box turtle so I deduced from there. Yes, I do guide bioluminescent kayak tours in central Florida and the bio is popping right now! Saw a glowing dolphin the other night chasing fish. It was insane!
I've heard of the bioluminescence in some Florida waterways. As a kayaker, I would love to know more, as that is something I want to see before I move again. I live in the Tampa area, FYI - anything near there that you know of?

Great video by the way! Sorry that the NAFHA trip didn't work out for you - I know how it can feel being among a group of strangers.

PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 5th, 2014, 4:15 pm

captainjack0000 wrote:I know Holbrook has already commented on these, but I wanted to add my own 2 cents.

"the lack of organization" = relaxed, laid back, come and go as you please

kind of cliqueish = Some of us are more introverted than extroverted, and are hesitant to herp with people we only know from the internet. I went up with a friend and we spent most of the time herping. We also stayed at a campground where other fellow NAFHA folks were at, so we got to meet them, but missed virtually all of the planned social events.

"I was really hoping to meet more people though."
Me too. I keep thinking about hosting a SE Chapter BBQ that would be more social in nature. Folks could of course herp on their way over and back if they wanted. Perhaps even a SE Chapter Brunch so the better part of the afternoon and evening could be spent in the field.

Also, last but not least. Awesome video. I think your water snakes are animatronic fakes though. I've never seen ones so calm before, even when they are gently handled.
Yeah, I guess I understand that. I'd never seen a water snake that calm either. Glad you enjoyed the video!
mtratcliffe wrote:
PrimitiveTim wrote: yes, the baby box turtle was one of the highlights and a first for me. At first I didn't know it was a box turtle cause it was flat and not hinged then I sat and looked at it for a while and saw that the head was exactly like a box turtle so I deduced from there. Yes, I do guide bioluminescent kayak tours in central Florida and the bio is popping right now! Saw a glowing dolphin the other night chasing fish. It was insane!
I've heard of the bioluminescence in some Florida waterways. As a kayaker, I would love to know more, as that is something I want to see before I move again. I live in the Tampa area, FYI - anything near there that you know of?

Great video by the way! Sorry that the NAFHA trip didn't work out for you - I know how it can feel being among a group of strangers.
If any of y'all are interested in the bioluminescence check out the company I work for. We get folks from Tampa all the time. If you just want to chat about the stuff and ask questions feel free to send me an email at [email protected] I've heard of bio over there but I think you would have to do some thorough searching at night. Go to the darkest place you can find and you'll want to be in a bay or lagoon where water is pretty still though it can occur in the ocean. Basically for this stuff to be visible its population density needs to be about 200k organisms per liter. Over here in the Indian River lagoon it's about 500k per liter

The NAFHA trip worked out fine and I found some cool stuff, it just wasn't quite what I expected.