Hello from Atlanta

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Post Reply
HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 9th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Hello Everyone.
Rich herein Atlanta, Ga. Im new here but have been watching the forum for a while like some of the others. I've been herping since I was a kid growing up in Tennessee, catching anything and everything I could find. I got away from it for a few years but then I got back into photography when DSLRs became affordable about 10 years ago. I was mainly into bird photography until this past year. I discovered herping was a great thing to do between spring and fall migrations. Now it seems Im looking almost solely for herps and very little for birds. It's kinda difficult to look for both.

Here are a few photos from this summer. Many more on my flickr site.
First me in the Okefenokee this summer. It was WAY to hot but found a Hognose and Racer.
Image
Me in the Okefenokee by cre8foru2009, on Flickr

Image
Eastern Hognose Snake by cre8foru2009, on Flickr

Image
Baby Rat Snake by cre8foru2009, on Flickr

Image
Eastern King Snake by cre8foru2009, on Flickr

User avatar
mtratcliffe
Posts: 533
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by mtratcliffe » September 9th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Please post more often - your pictures are amazing! Welcome to the Forum!

User avatar
BillMcGighan
Posts: 2308
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:23 am
Location: Unicoi, TN

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by BillMcGighan » September 9th, 2014, 5:47 pm

Good stuff, Rich.
We wan't more!! :)

User avatar
PrimitiveTim
Posts: 154
Joined: September 8th, 2013, 8:05 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 9th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Welcome to the dark side of herping! Just forget about all those silly birds. :twisted: Georgia is a beautiful state that I visit a few times a year. Got folks in Atlanta too.

User avatar
dery
Posts: 1793
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 11:01 am
Location: huntsville

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by dery » September 9th, 2014, 7:01 pm

The Okefenokee is too buggy in the summer for most people. Since you had a good time, I guess the flies and mosquitoes don't bother you either. We want more ATL records!!! Like Bill said we want more posts. Welcome to FHF Rich.

Tamara D. McConnell
Posts: 2249
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:42 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by Tamara D. McConnell » September 9th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Welcome! Your photos are lovely!

User avatar
Rich in Reptiles
Posts: 495
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:45 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by Rich in Reptiles » September 9th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Wonderful! Nice to see you here on FHF! I've seen your photos on Flickr in the Herp-in-habitat group :)! I'm sure it's hard being a birder and a herper at the same time, trying to look up while looking under a rock or log can be pretty tough i imagine :D.
-Bethany

User avatar
Noah M
Posts: 2289
Joined: November 3rd, 2012, 6:00 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Contact:

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by Noah M » September 10th, 2014, 4:41 am

Echoing what others have said, your pictures are great and you should post more on here when you can. I also encourage you to check out HERP if you haven't already. http://www.naherp.com/

Welcome to the SE. I haven't herped in Georgia before, but I have been to Atlanta and enjoyed it very much. Its a great city.

User avatar
Josh Holbrook
Posts: 2195
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 7:11 am
Location: Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by Josh Holbrook » September 10th, 2014, 11:43 am

Welcome; Hogs are great :beer:

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 10th, 2014, 12:17 pm

mtratcliffe wrote:Please post more often - your pictures are amazing! Welcome to the Forum!
thank you and I will

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 10th, 2014, 12:18 pm

BillMcGighan wrote:Good stuff, Rich.
We wan't more!! :)
Thank you. More coming. Got next week off.

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 10th, 2014, 12:19 pm

PrimitiveTim wrote:Welcome to the dark side of herping! Just forget about all those silly birds. :twisted: Georgia is a beautiful state that I visit a few times a year. Got folks in Atlanta too.
I cant forget about the birds but they are secondary for now. Let me know when your coming and maybe we can get together find some critters.

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 10th, 2014, 12:21 pm

dery wrote:The Okefenokee is too buggy in the summer for most people. Since you had a good time, I guess the flies and mosquitoes don't bother you either. We want more ATL records!!! Like Bill said we want more posts. Welcome to FHF Rich.
I had some good bug spray. Takes more than some bus to stop me.

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 10th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:Welcome! Your photos are lovely!
Thanks

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 10th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Rich in Reptiles wrote:Wonderful! Nice to see you here on FHF! I've seen your photos on Flickr in the Herp-in-habitat group :)! I'm sure it's hard being a birder and a herper at the same time, trying to look up while looking under a rock or log can be pretty tough i imagine :D.
-Bethany
Thanks. Its good neck relief looking on the ground instead of up all the time. Habitat shots are my favorites.

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 10th, 2014, 12:24 pm

captainjack0000 wrote:Echoing what others have said, your pictures are great and you should post more on here when you can. I also encourage you to check out HERP if you haven't already. http://www.naherp.com/

Welcome to the SE. I haven't herped in Georgia before, but I have been to Atlanta and enjoyed it very much. Its a great city.
Thanks. I'll check it out now.

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 10th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Josh Holbrook wrote:Welcome; Hogs are great :beer:
Yes they are. That one put on quite a show too.

User avatar
dery
Posts: 1793
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 11:01 am
Location: huntsville

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by dery » September 10th, 2014, 10:57 pm

HerpMan ATL wrote:
dery wrote:The Okefenokee is too buggy in the summer for most people. Since you had a good time, I guess the flies and mosquitoes don't bother you either. We want more ATL records!!! Like Bill said we want more posts. Welcome to FHF Rich.
I had some good bug spray. Takes more than some bus to stop me.
Same here. I just never got bit enough to need repellent. We're going back to ONWR in winter for the less fortunate kin. Stupid 10 year hiatus. :roll: What bug repellent do you prefer?

Ecto Hunter
Posts: 276
Joined: August 27th, 2010, 2:00 pm
Location: AL & GA

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by Ecto Hunter » September 11th, 2014, 8:32 am

Welcome! I'm just south in Columbus. Awesome photos. Drop me a line if you ever head down this way. By the way, that is a gorgeous king.



-Robb

HerpMan ATL
Posts: 84
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL » September 11th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Ecto Hunter wrote:Welcome! I'm just south in Columbus. Awesome photos. Drop me a line if you ever head down this way. By the way, that is a gorgeous king.

Thanks. My plan is to herp a lot more this year in the Southern part of the state below the fall line so I might just hit you up. You know some good spots down there? I plan to hit the Fall Line Sandhills soon.


-Robb

Post Reply